Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

KRULL Blu-ray on 9/30

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 of 39 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,644 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 16 2014 - 08:54 AM

I think Mill Creek still hasn't fixed a botched release of "Hostel" on blu. the audio goes right out for the last 10 minutes.

Anyway, provide there are no problems I'll pick this up. I too haven't seen it since the VHS days.

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#22 of 39 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,966 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 09:20 AM

Any of us who owns MR. SARDONICUS or SHIP OF FOOLS or THE ANDERSON TAPES will have little trepidation when anticipating the KRULL release. The only caveat: there will almost certainly be no extras.

#23 of 39 ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Supporting Actor

• 859 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted July 16 2014 - 12:05 PM

Any of us who owns MR. SARDONICUS or SHIP OF FOOLS or THE ANDERSON TAPES will have little trepidation when anticipating the KRULL release. The only caveat: there will almost certainly be no extras.

...and *maybe* indifferent (lossy) sound specs, at least this was routinely the case with MC's double feature Blu-rays. However, if each title gets its own disc like Krull, then that might no longer be true...I'm cautiously hopeful on that point.

FTR, although both of the titles you mentioned had very respectable Sony high def transfers, no recent 4k remasters. The only licensees to date who have been getting anything fresh from Mr. Crisp's 4k hopper have been Criterion and Twilight Time, or TCM with The Lady from Shanghai. Which isn't to say that no 4k master will ever go to Mill Creek...we could see some newer titles which simply fall outside of the artistic/business interests of those other licensees. Krull *might* even be one of those...too early to tell what MC has actually got here.

But for a volume peddler, I have few serious criticisms over what Mill Creek has released to date from the Sony library.

#24 of 39 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,285 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 12:27 PM

What made Criterion decide to license ARMAGEDDON? We'll never know. 

(Oo, oo!  Pick me, Mr. Kotter, I know!  Michael Bay, like David Fincher and Wes Anderson, was a Criterion fan, and was able to give them permission to do Armageddon and The Rock, back in the days when Disney, more than MGM, couldn't care less about DVD.  It's a little harder today, of course.

And, of course, he wasn't considered a punchline, back in the Rock days.)

I like how part of the end credits James Horner score sounds like STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN, at 4mins 13secs it sounds like the opening titles to STAR TREK II at the very start, don't listen to the choir/voices that fade in on the track a few seconds later, The pulse low end bit sounds a bit like. 

Epilogue & End Title - Krull - James Horner

https://www.youtube....9CQo1lOkc#t=253

Wait--Are you trying to say that all '82-'83 James Horner (during some of his best period)...gasp...SOUNDS ALIKE?  

Next you'll be trying to tell us that Krull sounds like '80's Battle Beyond the Stars!!   :blink:

(Although he had better use of ethereal choirs on "Brainstorm", also from the same period.)

#25 of 39 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,077 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 12:58 PM

"The only caveat: there will almost certainly be no extras."

Which is sad. The DVDs have audio commentary, featurette, photo galleries...

#26 of 39 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,579 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 01:06 PM

I played this one to an empty theatre back in 1983...

Looked and sounded great, but no one saw it.

"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#27 of 39 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,038 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 16 2014 - 01:17 PM

(Oo, oo!  Pick me, Mr. Kotter, I know!  Michael Bay, like David Fincher and Wes Anderson, was a Criterion fan, and was able to give them permission to do Armageddon and The Rock, back in the days when Disney, more than MGM, couldn't care less about DVD.  It's a little harder today, of course.

And, of course, he wasn't considered a punchline, back in the Rock days.)

I'd love a directors cut of Pearl Harbor, the battle scenes need to be restored, i cannot/will not purchase that PG-13 version.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#28 of 39 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,966 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 04:53 PM

I played this one to an empty theatre back in 1983...

Looked and sounded great, but no one saw it.

That must have been pretty depressing. It was, despite its poor final quarter, one of the better fantasies of the 80's.

#29 of 39 Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,502 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 06:00 PM

My friends and I saw it at the theater.  I think it was a double feature with something else (Deathstalker maybe?) and Krull was much better.  Odd to have a PG and R double feature but we had no issues getting into R rated movies underage in our local town back then so that might have been the second movie.

#30 of 39 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,052 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted July 16 2014 - 06:23 PM

I'd love a directors cut of Pearl Harbor, the battle scenes need to be restored, i cannot/will not purchase that PG-13 version.

IT is available on DVD and looks great upconverted. The unrated cut is sooooo much better.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#31 of 39 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,572 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 07:18 PM

I remember a few things about this film:

The Glaive - sort of a mind controlled boomerang / shuriken that predated a similar style shuriken weapon employed by the Predators.  It was one of the cooler fantasy weapons.

An early role for Liam Neeson.

Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert gave this film a pretty hard time on At The Movies.  They made some valid points, but I think they kind of piled on.

And of course the Krull video game in arcades.

I may have to pick this up for nostalgia; maybe, maybe not.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#32 of 39 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,285 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 07:45 PM

An early role for Liam Neeson.

It's easy to spot an early pre-Hogwarts Robbie Coltrane in the outlaw band, as well.

Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert gave this film a pretty hard time on At The Movies.  They made some valid points, but I think they kind of piled on.

It got a fair share of mixed reviews ("We never meet the characters, we just meet their dying words...."), but then, apart from Neverending Story, I can't think of a single 80's Summer of Love fantasy that got a majority of good reviews.   We just sort of took the genre for granted at the time, and kicked it for showing up.

#33 of 39 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,834 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 06:16 AM

48185_large.jpg

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#34 of 39 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,599 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted July 18 2014 - 06:27 AM

Dang...never thought I'd see the day! Krull brings me back to being a kid! Day one purchase here.

The only problem I have with the score is it reminds me (a lot) of Star Trek II. It's like Horner lifted parts from one movie and used them in the other.

#35 of 39 cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,800 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 06:56 AM

Well, this is a good sign. Mill Creek isn't known for quality releases but if they care enough not to go with photoshop artwork then there's hope. Maybe they've turned a corner.

#36 of 39 Konstantinos

Konstantinos

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 07:40 AM

Unfortunately the audio is lossy as it seems.. :(

#37 of 39 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,966 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 08:13 AM

Dang...never thought I'd see the day! Krull brings me back to being a kid! Day one purchase here.

The only problem I have with the score is it reminds me (a lot) of Star Trek II. It's like Horner lifted parts from one movie and used them in the other.

Horner's been much criticized for re-using his themes, perhaps with a slightly different tempo or arrangement. I recall listing to an early cue in THE LAND BEFORE TIME, and thinking, where have I heard this before? Turns out, it was originally a cue called "Reunion - End Title" from THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN. It's a lovely theme, and I don't mind one whit that he used it more than once. As they say - borrow from the best!

• Jason_V likes this

#38 of 39 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,038 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 18 2014 - 08:17 AM

Horner's been much criticized for re-using his themes, perhaps with a slightly different tempo or arrangement. I recall listing to an early cue in THE LAND BEFORE TIME, and thinking, where have I heard this before? Turns out, it was originally a cue called "Reunion - End Title" from THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN. It's a lovely theme, and I don't mind one whit that he used it more than once. As they say - borrow from the best!

Jerry Goldsmith composed a fine music score for Von Ryan's Express, listen carefully and you will hear the main Rambo theme tune as part of that score, it's a fine tune and i was surprised when i first heard it as i watched Von Ryan's Express later after Rambo.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#39 of 39 Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 10:27 AM

Horner's composed some good scores, but he definitely repeats himself:

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users