What's new

KRULL Blu-ray on 9/30 (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think Mill Creek still hasn't fixed a botched release of "Hostel" on blu. the audio goes right out for the last 10 minutes.

Anyway, provide there are no problems I'll pick this up. I too haven't seen it since the VHS days.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Any of us who owns MR. SARDONICUS or SHIP OF FOOLS or THE ANDERSON TAPES will have little trepidation when anticipating the KRULL release. The only caveat: there will almost certainly be no extras.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Dick said:
Any of us who owns MR. SARDONICUS or SHIP OF FOOLS or THE ANDERSON TAPES will have little trepidation when anticipating the KRULL release. The only caveat: there will almost certainly be no extras.
...and *maybe* indifferent (lossy) sound specs, at least this was routinely the case with MC's double feature Blu-rays. However, if each title gets its own disc like Krull, then that might no longer be true...I'm cautiously hopeful on that point.

FTR, although both of the titles you mentioned had very respectable Sony high def transfers, no recent 4k remasters. The only licensees to date who have been getting anything fresh from Mr. Crisp's 4k hopper have been Criterion and Twilight Time, or TCM with The Lady from Shanghai. Which isn't to say that no 4k master will ever go to Mill Creek...we could see some newer titles which simply fall outside of the artistic/business interests of those other licensees. Krull *might* even be one of those...too early to tell what MC has actually got here.

But for a volume peddler, I have few serious criticisms over what Mill Creek has released to date from the Sony library.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
cineMANIAC said:
What made Criterion decide to license ARMAGEDDON? We'll never know.
(Oo, oo! Pick me, Mr. Kotter, I know! Michael Bay, like David Fincher and Wes Anderson, was a Criterion fan, and was able to give them permission to do Armageddon and The Rock, back in the days when Disney, more than MGM, couldn't care less about DVD. It's a little harder today, of course.
And, of course, he wasn't considered a punchline, back in the Rock days.)

andySu said:
I like how part of the end credits James Horner score sounds like STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN, at 4mins 13secs it sounds like the opening titles to STAR TREK II at the very start, don't listen to the choir/voices that fade in on the track a few seconds later, The pulse low end bit sounds a bit like.

Epilogue & End Title - Krull - James Horner

Wait--Are you trying to say that all '82-'83 James Horner (during some of his best period)...gasp...SOUNDS ALIKE?
Next you'll be trying to tell us that Krull sounds like '80's Battle Beyond the Stars!! :blink:

(Although he had better use of ethereal choirs on "Brainstorm", also from the same period.)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"The only caveat: there will almost certainly be no extras."Which is sad. The DVDs have audio commentary, featurette, photo galleries...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ejanss said:
(Oo, oo! Pick me, Mr. Kotter, I know! Michael Bay, like David Fincher and Wes Anderson, was a Criterion fan, and was able to give them permission to do Armageddon and The Rock, back in the days when Disney, more than MGM, couldn't care less about DVD. It's a little harder today, of course.
And, of course, he wasn't considered a punchline, back in the Rock days.)
I'd love a directors cut of Pearl Harbor, the battle scenes need to be restored, i cannot/will not purchase that PG-13 version.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Peter Apruzzese said:
I played this one to an empty theatre back in 1983...

Looked and sounded great, but no one saw it.
That must have been pretty depressing. It was, despite its poor final quarter, one of the better fantasies of the 80's.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
My friends and I saw it at the theater. I think it was a double feature with something else (Deathstalker maybe?) and Krull was much better. Odd to have a PG and R double feature but we had no issues getting into R rated movies underage in our local town back then so that might have been the second movie.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
FoxyMulder said:
I'd love a directors cut of Pearl Harbor, the battle scenes need to be restored, i cannot/will not purchase that PG-13 version.
IT is available on DVD and looks great upconverted. The unrated cut is sooooo much better.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I remember a few things about this film:

The Glaive - sort of a mind controlled boomerang / shuriken that predated a similar style shuriken weapon employed by the Predators. It was one of the cooler fantasy weapons.

An early role for Liam Neeson.

Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert gave this film a pretty hard time on At The Movies. They made some valid points, but I think they kind of piled on.

And of course the Krull video game in arcades.

I may have to pick this up for nostalgia; maybe, maybe not.

- Walter.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Walter Kittel said:
An early role for Liam Neeson.
It's easy to spot an early pre-Hogwarts Robbie Coltrane in the outlaw band, as well.
Walter Kittel said:
Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert gave this film a pretty hard time on At The Movies. They made some valid points, but I think they kind of piled on.
It got a fair share of mixed reviews ("We never meet the characters, we just meet their dying words...."), but then, apart from Neverending Story, I can't think of a single 80's Summer of Love fantasy that got a majority of good reviews. We just sort of took the genre for granted at the time, and kicked it for showing up.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
48185_large.jpg

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Dang...never thought I'd see the day! Krull brings me back to being a kid! Day one purchase here.

The only problem I have with the score is it reminds me (a lot) of Star Trek II. It's like Horner lifted parts from one movie and used them in the other.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Jason_V said:
Dang...never thought I'd see the day! Krull brings me back to being a kid! Day one purchase here.

The only problem I have with the score is it reminds me (a lot) of Star Trek II. It's like Horner lifted parts from one movie and used them in the other.
Horner's been much criticized for re-using his themes, perhaps with a slightly different tempo or arrangement. I recall listing to an early cue in THE LAND BEFORE TIME, and thinking, where have I heard this before? Turns out, it was originally a cue called "Reunion - End Title" from THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN. It's a lovely theme, and I don't mind one whit that he used it more than once. As they say - borrow from the best!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Dick said:
Horner's been much criticized for re-using his themes, perhaps with a slightly different tempo or arrangement. I recall listing to an early cue in THE LAND BEFORE TIME, and thinking, where have I heard this before? Turns out, it was originally a cue called "Reunion - End Title" from THE JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN. It's a lovely theme, and I don't mind one whit that he used it more than once. As they say - borrow from the best!
Jerry Goldsmith composed a fine music score for Von Ryan's Express, listen carefully and you will hear the main Rambo theme tune as part of that score, it's a fine tune and i was surprised when i first heard it as i watched Von Ryan's Express later after Rambo.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Horner's composed some good scores, but he definitely repeats himself:

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
FoxyMulder said:
Krull has got a really good music score, i remember enjoying this film, i sure hope it's 2.35:1, it should be decent as it's a Sony title but that all depends, the television broadcasts in the UK are always cropped to 1.78:1 and have excessive edge enhancement with halo's everywhere, if it's from an older 2K film scan and has no edge enhancement and is the original aspect ratio then it should be fine, if it's a new 4K scan then even better. I'm not that trusting of the Mill Creek label, hopefully they are improving.
Unless I need to grab my glasses, the Amazon video specs say it's - are we all seated? - 1.33:1!!!

If true, how very modern of Mill Creek.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks