What's new

Problem hearing sound from woofer when connected to TV (1 Viewer)

Sandeep Jadhav

Auditioning
Hi Experts,
I have been following this forum for a problem that I have been facing after purchasing a new TV and Home theatre.

I recently got a PANASONIC 40B6D 40-INCH FULL HD SLIM with which I also got a PHILIPS HTD3510G/94 home theater system.

The TV has only headphone output and I have connected the output of it with the home theatre via the audio cable.
When I play music or videos via USB of TV the woofer doesn't play at all. But if I play the same song or video via the USB of the DVD of home theatre sound is incredibly good.
I want to have the same effect when I play songs or channels from my TV.

The engineer who came to install this system says since TV has only analog output the woofer wont be of much effect when played from TV.
I also noticed that only for one HD video played via TV was quite effective. I tried with other HD videos but dint get any woofer effect.

Please Help !!!.

Sandeep J.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
If you only have a headphone output then you're limited to what you have currently. I looked but I couldn't find anything on that model of the TV to see if you had an optical output that most TV now have. If you have a cable box of some kind you could run that into the HTiB unit to bypass the TV. The only other thing that I can think of is to try adjust the audio settings on the TV to see if you can improve the sound. It sounds like the TV is limiting the bass that it's sending to your HTiB via the headphone jack. Also I have found that when using the headphone jack to run into an amp you need to put the TV volume up fairly high.

Sandeep Jadhav

Auditioning
Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply !

You are exactly right. I have to turn up the TV volume to get the sound out of the speakers but still doesn't help the Woofer for the Bass.

I have tried most of the TV audio setting as well but I ll give it one more try today.

But I still do not understand how did that One video which was shown to me in the showroom for Demo got so much bass out of it even when connected to TV USB.
Thanks for advicing HTiB unit . I will try with that as well.
Regards,
Sandeep J.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
They might have been using a different TV connected with an optical cable vs the headphone jack. I've found the headphone jack is about the worst way to connect a TV to an amp/AVR and really should only be used as a last option. I really think that if you can go from a cable box into your philips it will get your "TV" sounding much better.

Sandeep Jadhav

Auditioning
Right.. I am going to try using my cable set-top box and connect it to the Philips system which may improve the sound when watching local cable channels but I doubt if it will be of any help when I play movies or music from USB of TV.

Thanks. Let me know if there are any other options.

Regards,
Sandeep J.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Sandeep Jadhav said:
When I play music or videos via USB of TV the woofer doesn't play at all. But if I play the same song or video via the USB of the DVD of home theatre sound is incredibly good.
Sandeep Jadhav said:
but I doubt if it will be of any help when I play movies or music from USB of TV.
If both the TV and DVD system have USB ports, and the DVD player port works so well, why would you even need to use the USB port on the TV? Does the TV support some audio or video format that the DVD system does not?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That TV appears to be a model designed for India, so I am guessing that is where you are located.

The Philips HT appears to play video files by USB, so you should be able to just connect your USB device to it instead of the TV, problem solved. It also says it is ARC capable, but that requires the proper hdmi cable and an ARC equipped TV. The TV doesn't seem to mention that feature, so it probably doesn't have it, which is unheard of these days in US models, but I don't know about Indian ones.

Sandeep Jadhav

Auditioning
@ Jason - Yes the USB port of the DVD works well and sound is awesome. Why I want same output from the TV is , Over here in India we watch TV channels provided by the Local cable operator and when I listen to songs or videos from TV channel (Like MTV) only the speakers play and bass effect doesn't come.

@John- Same answer to your reply as above. This model of TV seems to be not so famous and I should have taken advice from experts like you. The only reason why I chose this TV is bcoz there was an offer of the Home theatre with it.
The only place where I could find technical specs of the TV is in -
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/panasonic-40b6d-40inch-full-hd/2062856407#Technical Specifications

None the Less, I am happy with the Home theatre. Just that if I get the same quality of sound out of the TV for local channels it would be an icing on the cake.

Regards,
Sandeep J.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks