My Atmos thoughts posted here.

• Sam Posten likes this

#102 of 104 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 13,870 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 18 2014 - 07:00 PM

http://twit.tv/show/...eater-geeks/214
Home Theater Geek had an episode with a speaker designer about Atmos design. The first half was broadly informative to me, and helped me understand the basics a lot better.

I can imagine setting up a 5.1.4 system in a few years. Finding and installing ceiling speakers would be better than replacing my main 5.1 speakers with Atmos speakers.

#103 of 104 OFFLINE   DanH1972

DanH1972

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted August 18 2014 - 07:18 PM

http://twit.tv/show/...eater-geeks/214
Home Theater Geek had an episode with a speaker designer about Atmos design. The first half was broadly informative to me, and helped me understand the basics a lot better.

I can imagine setting up a 5.1.4 system in a few years. Finding and installing ceiling speakers would be better than replacing my main 5.1 speakers with Atmos speakers.

Concentric drivers, as Andrew Jones uses in his new Atmos speaker designs for Pioneer in the above video, were given the thumbs up by Dolby for use in both Atmos "enabled" speakers and overhead ceiling speakers due to their wide and universal dispersal pattern (and they're not dipoles).  The more full range, the better.  KEF, Tannoy, and others have used these a lot over the years and they've improved quite a bit. 

I'd see what your particular speaker manufacturer has up its sleeves by way of Atmos friendly designs.  You want to remain as timbre matched as possible.

#104 of 104 ONLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,635 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted August 20 2014 - 12:59 PM

Hey guys, this has been a GREAT thread and I think we have all learned a ton about Atmos and very glad to see the excitement continuing to build. Now that a half dozen or more of us have actually heard it I think it's time to move to the impressions thread that has been building in the speakers forum. You can find that thread here:
http://www.hometheat...st-impressions/

Sorry if this irks any of you who have this thread bookmarked or faved, but in order to keep things organized sometimes the best thing is to consolidate down. Please keep the convo going over there!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dolby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users