What's new

Dolby Atmos in the Home Theater, AVRs, and Separate (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
dave yes there will be bd titles using truehd to let you hear atmos info.bd titles comjng this fall. gravuty might be on wave 1.gear is unchanged but long term definitely will need to be upgraded.i think a lot of ht folks like me will probably wait for avr to have at LEAST include atmos AND dts's mda or uhd implementation.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I have 2 separate amps now, and will need to get at least one more. So I'm not really looking at the AVRs. I know pre/pros are more scarce now, but has anyone heard of any pre/pros with Atmos coming soon?

Edit: I don't know what happened to the font size.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
JediFonger said:
dave yes there will be bd titles using truehd to let you hear atmos info.bd titles comjng this fall. gravuty might be on wave 1.gear is unchanged but long term definitely will need to be upgraded.i think a lot of ht folks like me will probably wait for avr to have at LEAST include atmos AND dts's mda or uhd implementation.
Yeah, they are all chips, correct? Not upgradable by firmware. Best to wait it out a little bit to see exactly what's coming down the pike.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Will wait and see what comes out and who is offering what. I know that unless Sony makes some major changes they will not even make my consideration list. So far my pre consideration list of brands is Denon and Marantz and maybe Rotel if they offer Dolby Atmos and DTS MDA or what ever they will end up calling it. I am not sure about Onkyo due to how hot they run and to there horrible customer service. Integra sounds good but they are part of Onkyo that last I knew and it goes back to customer service. I hear that Pioneer is not as reliable as they used to be and was told that I was lucky I picked up the Elite SC-05 instead of the newer model. Sherwood is a no way brand so are there any other options out there?

The next must that the next receiver must have is:
4K video switching
Dolby Atmos & DTS UHD ???
two sub preouts

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Dave Moritz said:
Will wait and see what comes out and who is offering what. I know that unless Sony makes some major changes they will not even make my consideration list. So far my pre consideration list of brands is Denon and Marantz and maybe Rotel if they offer Dolby Atmos and DTS MDA or what ever they will end up calling it. I am not sure about Onkyo due to how hot they run and to there horrible customer service. Integra sounds good but they are part of Onkyo that last I knew and it goes back to customer service. I hear that Pioneer is not as reliable as they used to be and was told that I was lucky I picked up the Elite SC-05 instead of the newer model. Sherwood is a no way brand so are there any other options out there?

The next must that the next receiver must have is:
4K video switching
Dolby Atmos & DTS UHD ???
two sub preouts
I'm also keeping my eye on Rotel. Their older pre/pros have two sub outs, so that should be a given. The hold up for me, may be waiting on DTS/Datasat.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My Pioneer Elite SC-05 does a very good job so i am not in a big hurry to replace it till we have a few good offerings and both the latest and greatest of Dolby and DTS is offered.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Dave Moritz said:
I wouldn't mind upgrading from my current Pioneer Elite SC-05 which I am very happy with so far to something newer that has 4K video switching and would be willing to try out Dolby Atmos at some point if finances ever bounce back. Am currently running a dedicated 7.1 system with the SC-05 and would have to buy more speakers and ceiling mount them if I ever got into Dolby Atmos. Is Dolby Atmos backward compatible with Dolby True HD?

attachicon.gif
IMG_4530.JPG
attachicon.gif
20121102_130326.jpg
Somehow, someway those side and back surrounds are going to have to get lowered (on a bracket, a pole, or something) because as they are placed now... they are already almost like VOG height speakers.

You won't get much out of Atmos (and DTS-UHD, probably) since it (they) has (have) the lower level wall surrounds plus the overhead/top layer to differentiate sounds around you and sounds above you.

Also, zero receivers or pre-amps with Atmos (or any other brand of 2014 models either) will have both 18 Gbps HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 incorporated into them. This can definitely be a hindrance to running any future 4k Blu-ray format through said unit.

To me the best thing to do would be to wait for next year's models to perhaps iron out some of the kinks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
[quote name="DanH1972" post="4117552" timestamp="1406001496

Also, zero receivers or pre-amps with Atmos (or any other brand of 2014 models either) will have both 18 Gbps HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 incorporated into them. This can definitely be a hindrance to running any future 4k Blu-ray format through said unit.

To me the best thing to do would be to wait for next year's models to perhaps iron out some of the kinks. [/quote]

Where(cause I'd like to know, to go correct the source...) are you getting this mis-information?

Onkyo, Yamaha and Pioneer (expect Denon/ Marantz as well) all have 18 gbps HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2.

Since, you know...those two things are required to pass/create 4k/60fps.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh yeah, in case you all missed it(it was only, seriously, reported in Japan)...Onkyo now has controlling interest in Pioneer. That is why Onkyo ditched Audyssey. Apparently some Air Studios magic is going to happen with a reworked MCACC program equal to YPAO...and with sub tuning.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
DanH1972 said:
Somehow, someway those side and back surrounds are going to have to get lowered (on a bracket, a pole, or something) because as they are placed now... they are already almost like VOG height speakers.

You won't get much out of Atmos (and DTS-UHD, probably) since it (they) has (have) the lower level wall surrounds plus the overhead/top layer to differentiate sounds around you and sounds above you.

To me the best thing to do would be to wait for next year's models to perhaps iron out some of the kinks.
Good point. There are probably a lot of surrounds out there that are now too high for Atmos, and will need to be lowered into shoulder bumping position.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
schan1269 said:
If your surrounds will bump your shoulders...Your room layout is all wrong.
That was a half kidding extreme, but I'd like to see some detailed diagrams for home Atmos setup - it would help with the planning stage.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Dr Griffin said:
That was a half kidding extreme, but I'd like to see some detailed diagrams for home Atmos setup - it would help with the planning stage.
We're all waiting on that from Dolby. They keep saying a detailed home Atmos installation white paper is in the works.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
the mfr and us (the enthusiast) are too myopic.why should we all wait another 2 to 3 generations when we can design this tech today? i know this is advantageous to the mfr to keep selling us new gear...but as i pointed out in my initial post here, with the arrival of obj-oriented sound, it totally renders the traditional sense of 5.1 obsolete.the new hw should be focused on releasing preamps/processors for enthusiast and repurpose the AVR for the htib market. why? design pres to decode/route atmos/mda then spit out 1 digital audio interface, maybe over standard ethernet cat6 or cat8. that digital will then goto any amp of customer's choosing. if the customer wants all 32ch amp go ahead and get one or buy 16mono block amps and daisy chain them it wont matter. the amp will do the digital to analog conversion wired or wirelessly.gone are the 'phases' too. you can wire ea speaker + or - the microphone will self correct the phase.lastly i'd like to see gone how users place their speaker boxes. it is time to blow away 'standing it up right' you can lay it on the side diagonally even bouncing it off the walls the 3d mic and processors will accept all this and create the "virtual" speaker layout for you. will this finally bring acceptance by the wife? who knows.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
From a Pioneer rep on AVS Forum (in case you're looking for an Atmos receiver or pre-amp that might comply with 4k Blu-ray copy protection and its potential video specs.):

"Regarding HDCP 2.2, none of our AVR's support it this year. Pioneer (As well as Denon and Yamaha) opted for full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 (18gbps) so that we can support 4:4:4 content as well as high dynamic range and expanded color gamut signals which require more that 10.2gbps. There currently is not a single chip solution that offers both 18gbps and HDCP 2.2. Onkyo decided to go with HDCP 2.2 by using a different brand HDMI repeater, however there [sic] HDMI 2.0 solution only offers 10.2gbps of bandwidth (Same has HDMI 1.4)."

Besides the possibility of DTS-UHD being released and the fact that these processors are not yet fully 4k "ready," I think I'm going to definitely wait 'til next year at least to upgrade my Onkyo 805.

In the meantime, I'll be saving up.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I to will wait for the next batch of receivers to come out with full 4k video support and both Dobly and DTS audio included! Till then I will enjoy my Pioneer Elite SC-05.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
unfrotunately we'll never know if 4k will ever make it home to non-stream media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks