Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Curved TV?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,388 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted June 02 2014 - 08:09 AM

This past Sunday's Best Buy circular shows a couple of Samsung Curved TV's.  There's a 55 and 65 inch model listed.  Model numbers are UN55H8000AFXZA and UN65H8000AFXZA.  Anyone heard anything about these curved TV's?  There's a blurb about is drawing you in from every angle.  My initial thinking is that this was be a poor shape for viewing at an angle.

• atfree likes this
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,461 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted June 02 2014 - 01:27 PM

I think most people are puzzled by their release.. I know I am.  The shape makes no sense to me considering its size.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,132 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted June 02 2014 - 05:59 PM

This past Sunday's Best Buy circular shows a couple of Samsung Curved TV's. There's a 55 and 65 inch model listed. Model numbers are UN55H8000AFXZA and UN65H8000AFXZA. Anyone heard anything about these curved TV's? There's a blurb about is drawing you in from every angle. My initial thinking is that this was be a poor shape for viewing at an angle.

CNET is doing a series on these where the reviewer spends a month, I believe, with one of these. His main gripes are poor off-angle viewing AND the curved screen distorts the picture, especially graphics like tickers, sub's, etc, at the top and bottom. Personally, I think the curved screen is an aesthetic gimmick with no discernable benefit to viewing.
  • Johnny Angell likes this

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,178 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 02 2014 - 06:25 PM

I thought their commercial was cool.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,981 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted June 03 2014 - 06:26 AM

POPULAR

Yet another solution in search of a problem.

• Sam Posten, Stephen_J_H and Persianimmortal like this

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,068 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted June 03 2014 - 06:32 AM

Agreed, more throwing spaghetti on the wall hoping it sticks to suckers.

• DaveF and Stephen_J_H like this

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   UnitedInterfaces

UnitedInterfaces

Auditioning

• 3 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 12 2014 - 08:17 PM

I Agree, it seems to be a gimmick.

I think that the concept of having an immersive curved screen display is definitely on the forefront of where things are heading, with regards to personal home theaters and media rooms.

The main problem I have with curved screen flat-panel TV's is their size, and to get the right effect you really need to have quite a large screen.

All of the curved screens that I have implemented into my designs are all driven by projectors. Even though these setups require additional hardware, and in some cases software, it really is the way to completely immerse yourself into the media being delivered. Curved flat-panels in my opinion will never be able to match the visuals that you can achieve with a little help from projectors.

You can seen one of my designs here: (https://www.google.c...ogiesLosAngeles) under the photos tab. Not the best example, but I have some other photos of the Baby IMAX Theater's that I have been implementing for residential home theaters, I just haven't had the time to upload them yet. 

Thanks for the link Sam Posten

-Dom

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,068 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 07:18 AM

Apparently BOTH Fox news and Consumer Reports have come to the same, correct conclusion:
http://www.foxnews.c...-than-flat-tvs/

"NOT REALLY, NO"
  • DaveF likes this

#9 of 14 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,291 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 19 2014 - 08:01 AM

Yet another solution in search of a problem.

Not even that. This solves nothing.

This is differentiation without purpose. It's engineering that makes the product worse.

Human vision doesn't suffer from field curvature so much that we need a curved object surface.

A curved screen for a front projector could make sense, as it could compensate for projector aberrations. But that doesn't apply for direct view displays.
  • Sam Posten and Jason Charlton like this

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,068 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 05:11 AM

Agreed. I got to see a variety of these in Best Buy last night. Off axis viewing was measurably worse. Derp.
  • Johnny Angell and Jason Charlton like this

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,153 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted September 28 2014 - 08:27 AM

Spent years watching old rounded tubes that "curved" the other way. Movies in theaters were nice and flat - now TVs are too. No desire to go back to any curves.

Harry

• atfree and Brenty like this
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,928 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted September 29 2014 - 12:35 AM

I guess I'm the only one here who actually likes the look of a curved screen. To me it represents a home version of those old giant-screen movie theaters where the screens were curved. I've been to a few screenings with such screens, sadly those theaters no longer exist but I vividly remember how immersive the experience was. For a curved home theater TV to have any impact, though, I think a screen would have to be 70" or larger and plasma. An LCD wouldn't do it justice. 

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#13 of 14 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,291 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 29 2014 - 03:21 AM

Those screens, I assume, were curved to accommodate the field curvature of the projectors. There is no field curvature to correct in a direct display.
  • Brenty likes this

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,582 posts

Posted September 29 2014 - 03:53 AM

Wonder how a smilebox presentation would look on a curved screen.

• Stephen_J_H likes this
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users