Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sony Stalling Some Classic Shows: Why Sony Why?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#81 of 85 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 09:20 AM

Very happy for fans of the music show, "The Midnight Special," which is coming out in various compilations from Time Life. But can anyone explain how they can clear 11 discs worth of music and performances for that show, but "Maude" is too music-heavy to release?

I guess these decisions are made on a 'return-on-investment' basis. TimeLife figures there is a large demand for The Midnight Special. Shout turned down Maude about four years ago because the music was deemed too costly for the expected sales. But then again, they actually lost money on S5 of The Facts of Life yet a Complete Series set is forthcoming. I still pray we'll eventually see the same for Maude. The series has gotten alot of exposure and new fans since 2010 thanks to Antenna TV's airing of the show.

#82 of 85 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 09:34 AM

I guess these decisions are made on a 'return-on-investment' basis. TimeLife figures there is a large demand for The Midnight Special. Shout turned down Maude about four years ago because the music was deemed too costly for the expected sales. But then again, they actually lost money on S5 of The Facts of Life yet a Complete Series set is forthcoming. I still pray we'll eventually see the same for Maude. The series has gotten alot of exposure and new fans since 2010 thanks to Antenna TV's airing of the show.

I'm curious. Where did you get your information that they lost money on S5 of The Facts Of Life?

I see that is still listed on Amazon, indicating that additional sales are possible (and therefore additional contributions towards its bottom line).

#83 of 85 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 11:46 AM

Hasn't the Midnight Special been sold before on a direct to home basis?  If this isn't an all new release, perhaps the music was previously cleared.

#84 of 85 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 12:28 PM

I'm curious. Where did you get your information that they lost money on S5 of The Facts Of Life?

I see that is still listed on Amazon, indicating that additional sales are possible (and therefore additional contributions towards its bottom line).

A Shout rep stated so on their old message board a few years ago when asked by fans why they hadn't released further seasons.

#85 of 85 ONLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted August 13 2014 - 08:23 PM

I thought the story with The Facts of Life was troubles with Sony that were keeping them from licensing additional seasons? That's how I remember it, at least. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users