What's new

Region Free Mod for Oppo 93 (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've put off getting one for my Oppo but have finally decided that now is the time. Trouble is, I'm having a hard time finding one. Are they still available? Can anyone point to mods that are known to be reliable and relatively easy to install?

There were at least two types: an external mod and an internal. As long as no soldering is required, I'm willing to open the box.

Thanks for your advice.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To get a brand new player, chances are you have to buy an Oppo 103 which is the replacement model for the Oppo 93. I have both players with an external modification. Ebay is a good place to buy the modification. Also, the player for that matter.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
David Norman said:
Not the cheapest, but I think this is similar to the one I'm usinghttp://bluraychip.dk under Oppo KitsI think this is the item I got which is a bit cheaper and can be installed without opening the playerat all using the RS232 port or can be installed internally if you prefer.http://www.gradedexchange.com/servlet/the-793/OPPO-DIGITAL-BDP-dsh-93-%26/DetailReviewedhttp://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/oppo-region-mod/jvbdigital.nl has a similar (same) item for $120
I think there may be something wong with the .dk link as it doesn't open anything.

Do you think that review specifically applies to the item on gradedexchange? The reviewer mentions he got it off of ebay.

Thanks for your info.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
I think there may be something wong with the .dk link as it doesn't open anything. Do you think that review specifically applies to the item on gradedexchange? The reviewer mentions he got it off of ebay. Thanks for your info.
I'm pretty sure it's the same item. Graded Exchange does sell on Ebay though it didn't seem to have this particular item up for sale when I checked. I can't remember where I got mine -- I may have bought it from someone here on the forum actually.I'm not sure what's up with the link. When I click it goes to the opening page so it may be in my cacheTry http://bluraychip.dk/category.php?id_category=5 which may take straight to the Oppo page

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm thinking bluraychip is done. I googled them and that link didn't work. I found a review site and the latest (9/13) is very negative and says they don't respond to emails. I'll check out gradedexchange some more.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sorry Johnny, I misread your post in which you already have the Oppo 93 and you want to modify it now for region free.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm in the same situation Johnny so I'm curious to see what you find out and what you decide.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Robert Crawford said:
Sorry Johnny, I misread your post in which you already have the Oppo 93 and you want to modify it now for region free.
And I still welcome any information anyone might have. BTW, as of 4/12, there were no oppo 93 mods on eBay. I'm thinking they are getting scarce.Does anyone know how reliable Graded Exchange is? And what the difference between the two mods are?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Johnny, although I got my kit from ebay, I first heard about it in a post by Josh Zyber. Try a company called JVB Digital, and do a search for region mod, and you should find one for your model.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
JVB is mentioned the review linked above and I have looked there. They have a pro and standard version. The pro requires soldering which I don't want to do. The standard does not need soldering. I'm leaning toward them because you've recommended them and the review does too. The have an office in the USA and that helps too.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I did the one that did not require me to open the unit so I would not void the warranty. I think the pro version allows you to play all regions without a complicated combination of button presses on the remote. I usually leave mine set to region B/ all region. If I have a disc that is hard coded to region A, I play it in my Sony player.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So I'm about to buy an Oppo 103, and I see that there are two versions of the mod that are available - one that's used externally and costs about $60 (looks to be the same as or a version of the one you guys are discussing here), and one is called a "pro" mod that's installed by the a third party (you buy the player directly from them), and that looks to be about $120 extra. The advantage to the pro version is that it seems to require fewer button pushes on the remote to switch regions. The downside seems to be a) more expensive and b) since they had to open the player and solder the mod in, the warranty is void.

In the past, I had an Oppo DVD player, never had an issue with it -- but I've also heard that Oppo customer service is wonderful, so I'm a little hesitant to void the warranty if I can avoid it. So I'm leaning towards the external chip that also happens to be cheaper.

Any thoughts one way or the other? Anyone here with an internal mod?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Josh,

It depends how much you want to spend, but check out this post. Also, I don't know if that internal modification would void your warranty.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks Crawdaddy. I'm leaning towards just getting that chip -- assuming you have had no troubles with yours, easy enough to use? I loved my Oppo region free DVD player, but I think when all was said and done, I had a max of ten imported/region locked titles on DVD. So even if it's a little bit of a pain to use, I don't think it's going to get used all that much.

From what I've read online, an internal modification in and of itself might not void the warranty, but that the so-called "pro mod" has to be soldered to the board inside, and that apparently voids the warranty. The reseller offers a warranty in place of the Oppo one to make up for it, but I'm wondering if that's more trouble than it's worth. Easier to use the mod, yes, but more potential headaches if I ever need to get the player serviced. (Also, double the price of the mod you got.)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I've not tried to mod the 83, 93, 103 but have an old Oppo DV980H which just involves a 4-digit code on the remote to toggle on and off. I only have one out of region DVD (have a few zero region ones that play on anything) and so for me I'm fine with the old 980. I've read that the 970 file hack also works for the 981. I bought my 980 new and at one point was going to sell it until I found the easy way to make it region free. I've read that this hack designed for the 83 works with the 93 but of course have not tried it - http://www.multi-region.net/oppo_bdp-83

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
One question about the Oppo BD players. What details/info do you get (from the disc, whether it's a film or extra feature) when you press "display" or "info"? I mean does it show the resolution? Codec? Etc.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Phil A said:
I've not tried to mod the 83, 93, 103 but have an old Oppo DV980H which just involves a 4-digit code on the remote to toggle on and off. I only have one out of region DVD (have a few zero region ones that play on anything) and so for me I'm fine with the old 980. I've read that the 970 file hack also works for the 981. I bought my 980 new and at one point was going to sell it until I found the easy way to make it region free. I've read that this hack designed for the 83 works with the 93 but of course have not tried it - http://www.multi-region.net/oppo_bdp-83
If you want to stay current with firmware, a hardware mod is the only way you're going to get region-free playback of Blu-rays on an Oppo (I think the earliest firmware of the BDP-80 and/or 83 allowed a software code, but that was disabled with future firmware releases).

You do not want to operate on out-dated firmware, IMO. I had a few problematic discs that the enhanced firmware fixed.

Now, if all you're after is region-free only for DVDs, then you can download the software file SuperDisk (which is what your above link points to). When I was troubleshooting a troublesome R2 DVD, Oppo themselves told me to Google and download the SuperDisk file and try using that for DVDs (instead of my hardware mod) to test it out.

So, Oppo themselves know about (and are okay with) a person using SuperDisk. Remember, though, that is for DVDs only, not Blu-rays. It also appears that the file is supposed to also be compatible with the 93 and 103.

jp78

Auditioning
Real Name
Jasper
Johnny Angell said:
And I still welcome any information anyone might have. BTW, as of 4/12, there were no oppo 93 mods on eBay. I'm thinking they are getting scarce.Does anyone know how reliable Graded Exchange is? And what the difference between the two mods are?
Graded Exchange is very reliable. This is where I got my kits for my 83 and 103D. Great service!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks