What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Grease question (1 Viewer)

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
According to IMDB, when Paramount first released it on Home Video in 1979, all references to Doris Day were cut from the Sandra Dee song. Why would Doris Day, or anybody else associated with her, have anything against referencing her in that song?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I've never seen any video version of Grease that didn't have that line. There'd be a big hole in the action if they cut it. Considering the song had been around for seven years up to that point—the show opened on Broadway in 1972—if she had had that much of an objection to it for making fun of her wholesome image, she would have sued before the show reached the screen.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I think it's an urban myth. And why would Doris Day have a problem with that shout-out anyway? Or the one she got in Hairspray? Those composers only did it because they love her.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
One of the best parts of the movie. It only makes me think very very good nice thoughts about her, and that's the truth. But this "fact" is most likely not.

Not to hijack, but I'd always wondered about the faded down Coke ads. I think they wanted too much for their use... bummer... still, bothers me everytime I see that hack job of a fade down, especially obvious with the blu ray (which I just watched for the first time a few weeks back).

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
IMDB claims that the early home video prints kept the coke ads intact. Makes me wonder if that statement is a load of bunk, the same way the missing Doris Day references claim is a load of bunk.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
IntoIt said:
IMDB claims that the early home video prints kept the coke ads intact. Makes me wonder if that statement is a load of bunk, the same way the missing Doris Day references claim is a load of bunk.
The blanked out Coke ads were due to a Pepsi tie in when the movie was released. In these days they would have CGI the Pepsi logo into those areas. But the Coke Logo was never visible in any home release.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Thank you. Changing the subject a little...

The early home video releases, I'm pretty sure, had an acceptable sound mix. Truer to the original release in movie theaters, compared to the sound mixes used today. The original sound mix on the 35mm negative was Dolby.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
ahollis said:
The blanked out Coke ads were due to a Pepsi tie in when the movie was released. In these days they would have CGI the Pepsi logo into those areas. But the Coke Logo was never visible in any home release.
Full story is here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s70grease.html I know some people take Savant to task on his assessment of transfer quality (see his laterst review of the Hatari! BD), but when it comes to Hollywood legends, he's pretty spot-on.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Stephen_J_H said:
Full story is here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s70grease.html I know some people take Savant to task on his assessment of transfer quality (see his laterst review of the Hatari! BD), but when it comes to Hollywood legends, he's pretty spot-on.
I'll go with that but I do remember the Pepsi Tie in. When we played the film we were Coke pourers in our Theatres and Pepsi really made a push for logo cups but we could not participate. And on another part of your post, I was disappointed with his view of HATARI.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
IntoIt said:
Thank you. Changing the subject a little...

The early home video releases, I'm pretty sure, had an acceptable sound mix. Truer to the original release in movie theaters, compared to the sound mixes used today. The original sound mix on the 35mm negative was Dolby.
The original sound mix has not been available since the botched remix done for the 1998 re-release. That mix has numerous changes and some big mistakes with sloppy music edits, background vocals added or out of sync and bizarre mix changes to many of the songs. They added a lot of foley which is too loud in relation to the music. I can't stand to watch it with that mix. I have a custom made DVD version with the original soundtrack from the laserdisc and I watch that. People have been complaining about this since 1998 but Paramount has never included the original mix in any release since.

Dave MJ

Second Unit
moviebuff75 said:
And the original Paramount logo is missing as well, including the fanfare specifically for this film. I wish they would do a 4K restoration of the original 1978 version.
Yes, I miss that fanfare. It seems like a good candidate for a 4k version, hopefully they will fix everything. That's probably the last time it will be revisited.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks