Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Exclusive First Look: Twilight Time May/June 2014 Releases

Twilight Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#41 of 102 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted February 03 2014 - 07:05 AM

There's a UK Blu of Convoy.

#42 of 102 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts

Posted February 03 2014 - 11:51 AM

Just would like to add a couple to Dick and Billy Batson's wonderful lists, which contain some of my all time favorites   I'm also hoping for BARABBAS, SOLOMON AND SHEBA, KINGS OF THE SUN, NEVER ON SUNDAY and ESTHER AND THE KING.  These want lists must do some good.  After all, they seemed to help with THE UNINVITED, CAVALCADEKHARTOUM, and THE WAR LORD.  But, at the very top of my list is THE VIKINGS.

#43 of 102 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted February 03 2014 - 01:10 PM

I share the enthusiasm for some MGM DVD upgrades.  Some of their early DVDs flat out sucked, and I've been waiting a long time for an upgrade.

#44 of 102 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Tony N

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted February 03 2014 - 04:11 PM

And wouldn't it be especially nice if Criterion could reconstruct the roadshow version of "The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes" the way they recently did "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World?"

Yes, yes and a thousand times yes!

• Timothy E likes this
I've been going to bed early . . .

#45 of 102 ONLINE   ljgranberry

ljgranberry

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted February 03 2014 - 04:40 PM

THE TRAIN!  Slowly, the United Artists stuff that MGM released letterboxed but not 16x9 on DVD is trickling out. For a while, MGM itself was giving us some of this (SOME LIKE IT HOT, THE APARTMENT) and Criterion has brought out 12 ANGRY MEN, KISS ME DEADLY, LA CAGE AUX FOLLES and a number of others.

But the rather long list of UA widescreen titles not yet available on Blu-ray remains formidable:

Alamo, The (1960)

Bananas

Best Man, The

Birdman Of Alcatraz, The

Bride Wore Black, The

Coming Home

Days Of Wine and Roses

Defiant Ones, The

Dogs of War, The

End, The

Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex...

Exodus

Funny Thing Happened To Me On the Way to the Forum, A

Great Train Robbery, The (1978)

Hound Of the Baskervilles (1959)

I Want To Live!

Jack the Giant Killer

Judgment At Nuremberg

Juggernaut

Kiss Before Dying, A (1955)

Lenny

Love and Death

Magic Sword, The

Man With the Golden Arm, The

Marty

Miracle Worker, The

Moby Dick (1956)

Night Of the Shooting Stars

Night They Raided Minsky's, The

Offence, The

One Two Three

On the Beach

Party, The

Pink Panther (entire series)

Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes, The

Red River

Return Of A Man Called Horse, The

Semi-Tough

Small Change (aka Pocket Money)

Smile

Stardust Memories

Story Of Adele H., The

Support Your Local Sheriff/Gunfighter

Thieves Like Us

Tom Jones

Topkapi

Trapeze

Unforgiven, The (1960)

Vikings, The

What's New Pussycat?

Who'll Stop the Rain?

Wild Child, The

Witness For the Prosecution

Women In Love

World Of Henry Orient, The

...plus scores more that other people here might add.

I hope that, between Criterion, Twilight Time and other indie labels, a good chunk of the above titles can be added to our shelves.

I'm going to take a stab at some more titles (apologies if any have been previously entered):

Adventures of Robinson Crusoe

Beat the Devil

Baby Face Nelson

God's Little Acre

Man of the West

Separate Tables

Elmer Gantry

Inherit the Wind

Lilies of the Field

Kiss Me, Stupid

The Fortune Cookie

A Thousand Clowns

Lord Love a Duck

The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming

The Whisperers

How I Won the War

Alice's Restaurant

The Bed-Sitting Room

The Happy Ending

Mississippi Mermaid

Where's Poppa?

Cold Turkey

What's the Matter with Helen?

The Hospital

Duck, You Sucker!

The Long Goodbye

Bound for Glory

#46 of 102 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,245 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted February 03 2014 - 05:15 PM

What's with all the lists?

If TT ever releases any of them it would take many years.
Isn't there a thread already for those lists.

Anyway.

What is this movie The Firm?

Is that something more then a few hundred people will buy?

Edited by TonyD, February 03 2014 - 09:37 PM.

• Mike*HTF likes this
facebook.com/whotony

#47 of 102 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,859 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 03 2014 - 07:37 PM

GODS LITTLE ACRE is already out on Blu Check Amazon.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#48 of 102 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted February 04 2014 - 02:01 AM

What's with all the lists?

If TT ever releases any of them it would take many years.
Isn't there a thread already for those lists.

Anyway.

What is this movie The Firm?

Is that something more then a few hundred people will buy?

Yup, quite right. I love lists, read & compiling them, but this thread got a bit side-tracked, & it's not just TT that releases MGM (United Artists), & there's Germany & France releases as well. I agree with Ed, top of my list is, The Vikings. In fact I agree with Ed a lot, if he was picking films to release I'd be cash poor, but movie rich!

#49 of 102 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted February 04 2014 - 06:39 PM

Not one mention of Dan O'Bannon's THE RESURRECTED (1989)...I would have thought there would have been at least a few fans of this fun little horror item starring Chris Sarandon. Apparently it was recut against O'Bannon's wishes, and there was an effort at one point to get MGM to let Dan restore the film to its intended form, but that never happened, and now that Dan's dead, it never will I guess. So, I'm presuming this will be the usual version. It'll be nice to see it in pristine quality in any case.

#50 of 102 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,134 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 06:57 PM

The RESURRECTED here looks to be a wartime drama starring a young David Thewlis-- not the Dan O'Bannon horror movie. 

Not one mention of Dan O'Bannon's THE RESURRECTED (1989)...I would have thought there would have been at least a few fans of this fun little horror item starring Chris Sarandon. Apparently it was recut against O'Bannon's wishes, and there was an effort at one point to get MGM to let Dan restore the film to its intended form, but that never happened, and now that Dan's dead, it never will I guess. So, I'm presuming this will be the usual version. It'll be nice to see it in pristine quality in any case.

#51 of 102 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 775 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:35 PM

ANYTHING BEST PICTURE NOMINATED, PLEASE!! :)
I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#52 of 102 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,822 posts

Posted February 04 2014 - 07:52 PM

The Firm (2009) is a soccer movie directed by Nick Love.   (Excuse me, a football movie...)

I'm actually wondering about Rollerball.  Will this Blu have any of the special features we had on the previously released DVDs?  If it does, I could be persuaded to get back in the game, so to speak.

#53 of 102 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,051 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted February 06 2014 - 12:58 PM

Just saw this. A couple titles interest me, I'll have to see how the month pans out.

#54 of 102 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,620 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 10:27 AM

Press Release 05/01/2014

Twilight Time is excited to announce the worldwide Blu-Ray debut of Gerry Anderson’s storied saga of unparalleled adventure in Supermarionation – Not one but two!

“THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO

&

THUNDERBIRDS 6”

Limited Edition BLU-RAY Release

Only 3,000 units available at

www.screenarchives.com

Once they are gone – they are gone!

RELEASE DATE: TUESDAY, MAY 13TH, 2014

“So who needs people?  These handsome, stiff-necked, shiny-faced Thunderbirds puppets have broken spectacularly out of black-and-white TV and on to the cinema screen.” The Daily Mail

“Of course, the cast are all puppets, the sets, models, and the story unabashed nonsense.  But it’s great all the same…awesome.” The Sunday Express

Thunderbirds Are Go (1966) and Thunderbird 6 (1968) are the cinematic evolution of Gerry Anderson’s hugely popular British TV series, Thunderbirds (1965-66):  a mix of puppetry (via the patented Supermarionation process, which allowed synchronization of dialogue with marionette movement), sci-fi futurism, action-adventure, and undeniably fabulous Sixties-era design.  Both films weave tales of the adventures of the Tracy Family, a father and five sons who, with the assistance of the glamorous British agent Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward, run International Rescue, an elite team who roam the globe—and beyond—in a humanitarian effort to help their fellow men.

LIKE TWILIGHT TIME ON FACEBOOK

www.facebook.com/twilighttimemovies

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#55 of 102 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,620 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 10:30 AM

Press Release 05/01/2014

Twilight Time is excited to announce the Blu-Ray debut of Norman Jewison’s fascinating take on the future of power sport and it’s impact on humanity!

“ROLLERBALL”

www.screenarchives.com

“Sensational futuristic drama…stars James Caan in an excellent performance as a famed athlete who fights for his identity and free will.”Variety

“The questions raised about the relationship between corporate power and sporting events are valid and intriguing…Caan and Richardson are excellent, and the rollerball sequences are fast-paced and interesting.”—TV Guide

Rollerball (1975) posits a dystopian future (2018!) in which war has been replaced by the titular game, a gladiatorial spectacle of violence that helps keep the global populace entertained and anesthetized.  Director Norman Jewison and writer William Harrison further give us an athletic champion, Jonathan E (the great James Caan), whose individual expertise defeats the worldwide corporate leadership’s design:  to emphasize the futility of individual effort.  Corporate bigwigs (icily incarnated by John Houseman) need Jonathan to retire, but Jonathan begins to have his own dangerous ideas.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#56 of 102 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,620 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 10:31 AM

Press Release 05/01/2014

Twilight Time proudly announces the arrival of the long sought after JOHN FORD Western Classic, for the first time in stunning Blu-Ray!

“TWO RODE TOGETHER”

www.screenarchives.com

“Only rarely in his long career has James Stewart matched the performance adorning…Two Rode Together.  A memorable characterization, steeped in authenticity…a compelling film.”—Eugene Archer, The New York Times

“Fresh sagebrush fiction, invading and surveying a relatively untapped corner of American history…disarmingly and authoritatively enacted by James Stewart.”Variety

Two Rode Together (1961) offers the superb James Stewart’s first appearance in a film from the legendary director John Ford (the pair would go on to the likes of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance).  The result is a tough revisionist Western about a cynical frontier marshal (Stewart) who teams with a cavalry officer (Richard Widmark) to rescue a group of long-held white captives from a band of redoubtable Comanche.  Also starring Shirley Jones, Linda Cristal, Andy Devine, and John McIntire, and featuring a score by George Duning.

• Ed Moroughan likes this

Ronald J Epstein

#57 of 102 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,620 posts

Press Release 05/01/2014

Twilight Time proudly announces the second of our British Contemporary Classics – a film that pulls no punches – and for the first time in stunning Blu-Ray!

“THE FIRM”

www.screenarchives.com

“Well made; there’s a persistent and welcome undercurrent of humour in the script…a reminder of Love’s undoubted talent and technique.”—Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian

“Slick, evocative, and very violent…it nails the look of the 80s and comes with a great soundtrack.”

—David Edwards, The Mirror

The Firm (2009), writer-director Nick Love’s remake of Alan Clarke’s celebrated TV film, gives us an aimless young teen, Dom (the touching Calum McNab), who becomes obsessed with charismatic football hooligan Bex (the show-stealing Paul Anderson).  Beset by hero worship, Dom finds himself involved in the violent activities of a football “firm”:  a gang that finds its only passionate outlet in increasingly dangerous battles with other groups of sociopathically inclined fans.

Ronald J Epstein

#58 of 102 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,620 posts

Press Release 05/01/2014

Twilight Time is excited to announce the Blu-Ray debut of Ernest K. Gann’s electric and tension filled story of an ill-fated commercial flight, directed by the great Ralph Nelson!

“FATE IS THE HUNTER”

www.screenarchives.com

“Taught Direction…a thrilling experience with suspense mounting”… - Variety

“Compelling… unpretentious entertainment, with a steady turnover of interesting characters”… - Glenn Erickson, DVD Talk

From the best seller by Ernest K. Gann—author of The High and the MightyFate Is the Hunter (1964) details a horrific airplane crash and, in its aftermath, the desperate attempt to discover what brought plane, passengers, and crew to their fiery fate. Directed by Ralph Nelson, with superb black-and-white cinematography by Milton Krasner, this combination of disaster movie and mystery interweaves the stories of a dogged investigator (Glenn Ford), the doomed pilot (Rod Taylor), his bereaved girlfriend (Nancy Kwan), and the tragedy’s sole survivor (Suzanne Pleshette), building to a climax of breathtaking tension. 

Note: Specially included on this Blu-Ray edition of Fate Is the Hunter is:-

To Whom It May Concern: Ka Shen’s Journey - a poetic 2010 feature documentary about the life of co-star Nancy Kwan, directed by Brian Jamieson. - “TWO THUMBS UP” – Roger Ebert

Ronald J Epstein

#59 of 102 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted April 11 2014 - 10:52 AM

That's what it says on IMDB, but the UK DVD has a running time of 128 minutes (according to Amazon.UK) so I'm skeptical that there has ever been a 140 minute version. If there had been a 140 minute version, I would expect that there would be some complaints about the UK DVD,  but I don't see any.

On the BBFC site it mentions 141m and 31 seconds, then again they got the year wrong so it's credible they got the running time wrong and mixed up this film with an Indian one.  I am guessing that maybe the data input was wrong for this title.

http://bbfc.co.uk/releases/train-1970

It goes to mention the 2003 release as being 132m and 7 seconds, after PAL speedup for DVD that's about 128 minutes, this sounds right.  They get the date wrong and say it's from 1959, the above one seems to be from 1970, a different film perhaps. ?

http://bbfc.co.uk/releases/train-1959

After a bit more research i have found there is an Indian film called The Train from 1970, the running time is mentioned as 138 minutes on the IMDB site, so that's wrong too, on the BBFC site or IMDB, one of the two have it wrong, this film does fit though as 1970 is mentioned in the BBFC web page title for the link.

Wikipedia mentions a 140m running time for The Train too, not entirely reliable i think.

The film was released in the UK first according to Wikipedia, did they get that part right. ?   If so could it be possible that the director trimmed the film for it's USA release and that version became the only one available for future re-releases. ?

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#60 of 102 OFFLINE   bruceames

bruceames

Second Unit

• 459 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 02:23 PM

Weak.  All of those seem pretty mediocre.  I'd like to know any distinguishing features of any of these movies because nothing looks $30 tempting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users