Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Amazon Prime- Shipping

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 of 106 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,750 posts

Posted November 05 2014 - 11:52 AM

My problem is that I'm very close to UPS(about 1 mile) and it seems they always do their closest deliveries last(usually early evening).  So, my free two day shipping is technically correct, but working second shift I don't get my package until I get home from work.  Not a PRIME problem by a location problem for me.

If I were located a good distance away from their base, I'd probably have my movies sometime morning so I'd have the day to enjoy them before work.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#102 of 106 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,665 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 05 2014 - 12:54 PM

Yeah, in most cases the items have arrived a day or two later – not a significant difference in time.

The main wrinkle has been more the method of shipment, since if they use the UPS to US Mail thing then there's a chance I'll have to go to post office to pick up the package in person because USPS process doesn't allow things (that don't fit in the mailbox) being left at the house if no one is home (unless it's the holidays, apparently).

Cameron,

Our USPS carrier will leave items on our front porch if it will not fit in our mailbox, so it must either be a carrier or regional thing. The only time that I've been required to pick anything up at the Post Office is an occasional item from Amazon.uk, which for some strange reason they sometimes want a signature because it's an international shipment (but there is no duty due). Some Amazon.uk orders get dropped off without a signature, though.

I've given up trying to use logic to sort out the mysteries of the package shipping industry.

#103 of 106 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,143 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted November 05 2014 - 12:59 PM

Cameron Yee, on 05 Nov 2014 - 2:41 PM, said:snapback.png

Yeah, in most cases the items have arrived a day or two later – not a significant difference in time.

The main wrinkle has been more the method of shipment, since if they use the UPS to US Mail thing then there's a chance I'll have to go to post office to pick up the package in person because USPS process doesn't allow things (that don't fit in the mailbox) being left at the house if no one is home (unless it's the holidays, apparently).

Cameron,

Our USPS carrier will leave items on our front porch if it will not fit in our mailbox, so it must either be a carrier or regional thing. The only time that I've been required to pick anything up at the Post Office is an occasional item from Amazon.uk, which for some strange reason they sometimes want a signature because it's an international shipment (but there is no duty due). Some Amazon.uk orders get dropped off without a signature, though.

I've given up trying to use logic to sort out the mysteries of the package shipping industry.

As with Scott, my Amazon deliveries from the USPS always get left on our front porch, usually slid under a chair. I can't remember the last time I had to go to the PO to pick something up (I think it was a laptop that was insured for over $500 that required a signature). I think it probably is a carrier or regional thing.

Is a side note, Amazon in my area has started using FedEx for deliveries (it used to be either USPS or UPS Ground). Now it's FedEx Smartpost.

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#104 of 106 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,336 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 16 2014 - 12:04 PM

Cameron Yee, on 05 Nov 2014 - 2:41 PM, said:snapback.png

As with Scott, my Amazon deliveries from the USPS always get left on our front porch, usually slid under a chair. I can't remember the last time I had to go to the PO to pick something up (I think it was a laptop that was insured for over $500 that required a signature). I think it probably is a carrier or regional thing.

Is a side note, Amazon in my area has started using FedEx for deliveries (it used to be either USPS or UPS Ground). Now it's FedEx Smartpost.

Amazon is now leaving deliveries behind the garage, exposed to the elements, instead of on our front step where it would be sheltered. This is a mixed bag, since we routinely exit the garage and are more likely to see the box. But it's really exposed -- looking cast off and discarded -- sitting off the side. On the front stoop, we might not see it for a day, but it's protected from rain and snow, and is a little bit less visible to passerbys.

#105 of 106 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,514 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 16 2014 - 12:11 PM

All my DVD/BD have been SmartPost for ages. I have a small mailbox, so lots of things get picked up at the PO.

Haven't bought anything big in a while. Need a new printer, not sure "waiting on it" is worth the $7 less on Amazon(for the one I want).

#106 of 106 OFFLINE   Dheiner

Dheiner

Gazoo

• 1,896 posts
  • Location'skonsen

Posted November 21 2014 - 07:44 AM

Amazon is now leaving deliveries behind the garage, exposed to the elements, instead of on our front step where it would be sheltered. This is a mixed bag, since we routinely exit the garage and are more likely to see the box. But it's really exposed -- looking cast off and discarded -- sitting off the side. On the front stoop, we might not see it for a day, but it's protected from rain and snow, and is a little bit less visible to passerbys.

If you leave a note the next time you get something, your driver will probably be just as happy to leave it were you ask them to, now and in the future.

The Green Bay Packers
13-Time National Football League Champions: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, & 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users