What's new

Anamorphic stretching on Man Of Steel? What is this!? UGH! (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Man Of Steel is distorted. My question is why? Does it have something to do with the anamorphic lens used for filming?

I've listed a few examples below where I've stretched the image vertically to what I think it should look like.

Henry Cavill looks like this.

reference.jpg

Man Of Steel screengrab 1

superman-(original).jpg

Man Of Steel screengrab 1 (modified)

superman-(corrected).jpg

Man Of Steel screengrab 2

superman-(original2).jpg

Man Of Steel screengrab 2 (modified)

superman-(corrected2).jpg

Michael Shannon looks like this.

shannon reference.jpg

Man Of Steel screengrab 3

zod-(original).jpg

Man Of Steel screengrab 3 (modified)

zod-(corrected).jpg

What's going on here?

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Brian Dobbs said:
Man Of Steel is distorted. My question is why? Does it have something to do with the anamorphic lens used for filming?

What's going on here?
Count me in for wanting to know why the distortion?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My question is, have you compared any of the shots of Amy Adams or the other "human" co-stars, and did it look this way in theatres? Given that these two characters are Kryptonian, it may have been a conscious choice to make them look "alien". Just a thought.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Stephen_J_H said:
My question is, have you compared any of the shots of Amy Adams or the other "human" co-stars, and did it look this way in theatres? Given that these two characters are Kryptonian, it may have been a conscious choice to make them look "alien". Just a thought.
I just used the screen grabs from Blu-ray.com after watching this at home.

But everyone looks like this.

Diane Lane is not this wide in real life.

9032_18_large.jpg

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's The Big Country all over again, i would like to know if this was how it was shown at cinemas and thus intentional or is it a blu ray mastering error, seems unlikely to be a mastering error but then again see The Big Country.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Don't know about other movies, but I spent some time searching for the posted screen grabs on my laptop using the Man of Steel BD 3D. Found the distortions to be accurate representations of the grabs shown. Don't know how to take BD screen grabs myself so I can't show that the angle of the shots taken are creating the distorted look. Several other scenes of the actors show their natural elongated features when the capture angle matches the example photos above.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
This is exactly the same sort of distortion which has ruined for me the Blu ray of The Big Country. It's the Big Mac Blu ray syndrome.
I know this was a simple technical error by the transfer engineer on The Big Country ..you would think such an error would be impossible on Man of Steel - unless the movie was shown in cinemas in this weird stretched ratio!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
That's odd. My first thought was that the image was incorrectly scaled from the 2K or 4K files, but that should result in everything looking skinnier, not fatter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks