What's new

Do watts matter if using preouts? (1 Viewer)

Yepyepsure

Auditioning
Real Name
yepyep
Hey guys. I am in the market for a new stereo receiver and was wondering if I should be concerned with watts since I will be using the preout with an external amp? Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
While "no" is the correct answer, it feels like there's missing information. First, if you aren't going to use any of the amplification capabilities of the receiver, why not go with a pre-amp? On the flip side, many amps are dual channel, and many people use them to power the front right/left, using the receiver to power the other channels. If you need to power multiple channel you should consider this approach, which means you may want to consider the output of the receiver. (On the flip, flip side, almost all of them are a few watts short of 120 anyway.)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The OP did say "stereo receiver". Implying there is no multiple channel.The HK 3490(if I got number correct) costs less than every single new stereo preamp.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Once again proving why I always got those low reading comp scores ...

But while I love the 3490 in general, it's limited as a preamp - one digital input, one optical, and no HDMI.

Also, if anyone wants a 3490 they better move quickly. I posted a few weeks ago that they were showing up discounted on Amazon Prime; now they are no longer available. And they show up as "sold out" on H/K's site.

(Regardless of the 3490, I see your point.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks