Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Netflix Streaming upgraded to include 3D

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 of 76 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,994 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 26 2013 - 07:17 PM

NFS today upgraded to SuperHD for all users who are able to access it not just to a small group as it previously was.

This also opens up their 3D channel. 

Just on a quick look I see a few worthy movies to watch including Sammy's Tale, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Nitro Circus, Beowulf and Pina.

Edited by TonyD, September 26 2013 - 10:52 PM.

facebook.com/whotony

#2 of 76 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,288 posts

Posted September 26 2013 - 07:45 PM

And The Hole, which has still never appeared in any Blu3D version in this country.

(Along with whatever few bits of 3Net original programming played on satellite.)

You'll need a heck of a connection, though--12m/s, which even core users may not even have, and which's why they were fooling around with that "Open Connect" nonsense.

I tried to open one of the movies, and got a 3D signal, but a minute of spin-loading, and a message saying my network was too slow.

Edited by Ejanss, September 26 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#3 of 76 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,994 posts

Posted September 26 2013 - 08:13 PM

Sampling a few items.

I found one that apparently has the 3d effect backwords because all the background stuff was in front so I had to put my glasses on upside down to see it correctly.
It is something called short xvi 3D Elephants dream. Looks good with glasses upside down.

Also noticed that a bunch of the docs expire on the 1st.

Immortals, Sammy's Tale and Nitro Circus 3D arent listed in the 3D channel.

The other thing is that my Roku 2 xe doesn't do 3D but the NF app on my tv does.

facebook.com/whotony

#4 of 76 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,288 posts

Posted September 27 2013 - 01:36 AM

Realized I hadn't tried my Panasonic 3D smart-TV NF app, but no, I've got the old first-generation app that doesn't even do subtitles.

So I went back and tried the PS3 again (which automatically adjusts picture quality for streaming speed) and went damn-the-torpedoes ahead with the "Too slow for 3D" message--The file loaded up to 63%, spun around a bit, slowly took a minute or two to load up to 100%, and then gave me four to five minutes of "The Hole" and "Legends of Flight: IMAX" in nice respectable 720p-3D at a stretch (about as well as I do  on Vudu's HD stream setting) before it had to reload again. 

I probably wouldn't be able to watch a whole movie at one sitting this way, but taking it in fifteen or twenty minute pieces, with "gaps" to rest my eyes, is more my speed.

So, on a purely technical basis, it CAN be done on a "normal" connection, you just have to be patient and willing to make a few sacrifices.

And if there's one thing 3DTV owners know, it's patience, persecution and sacrifice.  :P

Edited by Ejanss, September 27 2013 - 01:39 AM.

#5 of 76 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,148 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted September 27 2013 - 03:51 AM

If you have HBO or STARZ, they also have a number of 3D movies for free to watch.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#6 of 76 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,064 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 27 2013 - 06:24 PM

Just finished watching Pina. Played wonderfully on my setup. Hopefully they expand with more content soon. :D

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 76 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,994 posts

Posted September 27 2013 - 08:18 PM

HBO and Starz 3D isn't offered through Directv though.

facebook.com/whotony

#8 of 76 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,064 posts

Posted September 27 2013 - 08:24 PM

Does Amazon Prime have 3D yet?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#9 of 76 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 3,995 posts

Posted September 30 2013 - 01:41 PM

3D Netflix or Vudu still aren't supported on my Sharp TV. Would love to see "Sammy's Adventure" without paying import prices for it- I bought the Dutch 3D Blu-Ray of "The Hole" last year rather cheap though.

Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#10 of 76 GregK

GregK

Supporting Actor

• 951 posts

Posted September 30 2013 - 03:22 PM

This afternoon I tried Netflix 3-D on my Playstation III with a Comcast internet connection and it worked like a charm.  It was nice to finally see some of BEOWULF in 3-D again.  ..A shame this one is not available on 3-D bluray.

#11 of 76 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,994 posts

Posted September 30 2013 - 03:25 PM

Does Amazon Prime have 3D yet?Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

No

facebook.com/whotony

#12 of 76 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,148 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted October 02 2013 - 06:27 AM

This afternoon I tried Netflix 3-D on my Playstation III with a Comcast internet connection and it worked like a charm.  It was nice to finally see some of BEOWULF in 3-D again.  ..A shame this one is not available on 3-D bluray.

They have 45 3D titles.

Edited by RolandL, October 02 2013 - 06:27 AM.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#13 of 76 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,148 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted October 03 2013 - 03:24 AM

Tried it last night on my PS3. At first I get the error message that my speed is too low. But, I try again and its OK. Anyone know how to increase the speed on the PS3? My speed that I check on speedtest and speakeasy for Comcast is 50 upload and 10 download but the PS3 shows 8.7 up 5.6 down.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#14 of 76 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,148 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted October 03 2013 - 02:20 PM

No error messages now, someone might have been downloading while I was watching..

All seem to play fine so far, except Shark Night. Looks like its pulsating and can't grab on to the 3D signal but no error messages?

Where do you go to see a list of their 3D films? I see a list of about 45 films in there 3D section but, Beowulf was not on the list.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#15 of 76 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,994 posts

Posted October 03 2013 - 03:19 PM

They have 45 3D titles.

I think there are a few more than that. I have at least 4 in my list that aren't in the 3D category and the category says 43 total.

facebook.com/whotony

#16 of 76 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,064 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 01:04 PM

Immortals is another major feature film that is available in 3D

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

#17 of 76 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,994 posts

Posted October 04 2013 - 01:55 PM

Yep I mentioned all of these up in the 1st and 3rd posts in this topic.

facebook.com/whotony

#18 of 76 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,053 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 04 2013 - 02:00 PM

Tried it last night on my PS3. At first I get the error message that my speed is too low. But, I try again and its OK. Anyone know how to increase the speed on the PS3? My speed that I check on speedtest and speakeasy for Comcast is 50 upload and 10 download but the PS3 shows 8.7 up 5.6 down.

Are you hard wired or wireless?
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#19 of 76 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,148 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted October 05 2013 - 04:44 AM

Wireless. My PS3 is on another floor so connecting with a wire is not feasible. The PC's on that floor have the same fast connection - 50 up 10 down.  I did an internet search and its a common problem with the PS3. I see ways to fix it but they are pretty complicated.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#20 of 76 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,862 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted October 07 2013 - 12:57 PM

Have you considered a powerline connection?

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users