Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Another Mackinac Island visit

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 of 26 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,649 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 28 2014 - 07:31 AM

We visited the island again last weekend to celebrate my parents 60th anniversary and my dad's 80th birthday. While the weather was not ideal, we still had an enjoyable time. Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just add to my thread from last year's visit with a few shots.

Underneath the Mackinac Bridge, via Shepler's Ferry:

451A0978-XL.jpg

British Landing, with the bridge in the background.

IMG_0028-XL.jpg

IMG_0026-XL.jpg

Ferry heading to St. Ignace at sunset

451A1030-XL.jpg

A quiet evening in town

451A1050-XL.jpg

Anne Cottage, which is for sale and could be yours for around four to five million dollars. :)

IMG_0192-XL.jpg

#22 of 26 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,649 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 28 2014 - 02:09 PM

A couple more...

A wide angle shot in front of our hotel -- the historic Island House.

451A1014-XL.jpg

Two horsepower engine taking us on a tour

451A1062-XL.jpg

• Sam Posten likes this

#23 of 26 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,138 posts

Posted September 29 2014 - 05:23 PM

What beautiful shots you gave us Scott.  Stonecliff before it was restored I just stumbled upon.  The house so reminded me of Collinwood.  I vacationed MC every year. Life and other things such as a burn out ended those visit in 1980 I believe.  I remember watching THE WRATH OF KHAN in the movie house on the old college grounds.  How still and beautiful the night sky was that night when leaving the movie.

I also flew there which I may have mentioned before.  MC I am afraid became a treasured memory when I discovered Carlsbad CA.  I went there for 20 years during the Christmas holidays.

So I guess I would say it replaced MC for me. I just want to say if you want  a great place to go and please stay the night it is MC.

#24 of 26 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,649 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 30 2014 - 05:49 AM

Thanks, Mark. It is always nice to read your thoughts on Mackinac. You have a passion for the place similar to my wife's and mine.

• Mark Collins likes this

#25 of 26 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,138 posts

Posted October 10 2014 - 07:48 PM

You know I almost had a chance when I was in my 20s to be a passenger in the Annual Chicago to Mackinac race. Long story but I just did not want to push myself on the person who with a group was part of that race.

I still can remember seeing the winners in the harbor. You could walk out and talk with these people. I love how there were no money snobs on the island back in the 70s.  I feel bad Scott that you cannot even stop now in front of the Grand Hotel.

I bought last year for the first time Somewhere in Time on BD.  I remember being there the year the film was made.

Gosh what an event that was for the Island folks!  I  also remember how the island folks would refer to the casual tourists as I think the Fudgy's

• Scott Merryfield likes this

#26 of 26 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,649 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 11 2014 - 04:08 AM

Beng in one of the Mackinac races would have been cool, Mark. We have never been up there for either of the races (from Port Huron or Chicago) because (1) it's very crowded and (2) the prices to stay on the island are higher then (if you can even get a reservation).

I like the quieter time after Labor Day. There are fewer people, and the prices are lower. My wife, though, worries about the weather during the late season visits. Last year it was warm and beautiful, but this year it was colder and rainy.

• Mark Collins likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users