Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

THE HONEYMOONERS (Classic 39) will be on Blu-ray on October 15th 2013

Blu-ray Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 of 41 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,829 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 26 2013 - 05:47 AM

A $75.59 pre-order at Amazon (a 30% discount based on a $107.99 MSRP apparently).

I'm a wholly casual fan of The Honeymooners.  While I more than understand the show's importance in the history of broadcast television, I am not a true fanatic of the show and don't feel the need to rush to own it.  In fact, I have owned no episodes of The Honeymooners despite the various releases over the years.

How do fans feel about a $75 price point? 

I'm sure there will be sales...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#22 of 41 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted July 26 2013 - 06:46 AM

A $75.59 pre-order at Amazon (a 30% discount based on a $107.99 MSRP apparently).

I'm a wholly casual fan of The Honeymooners.  While I more than understand the show's importance in the history of broadcast television, I am not a true fanatic of the show and don't feel the need to rush to own it.  In fact, I have owned no episodes of The Honeymooners despite the various releases over the years.

Honestly? I don't think I paid too much more than 75 bucks for the huge 15 disc MPI Lost Episodes collection.

One day, when this set is down to 30 or 40 bucks, it'll be a sure buy. But 75 bucks? I don't think I'm even paying 75 bucks for TNG on blu.

#23 of 41 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted July 26 2013 - 08:04 AM

Hopefully they'll fix the audio on "TV or Not TV."

come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#24 of 41 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,152 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted July 26 2013 - 08:26 AM

I got THE HONEYMOONERS Classic 39 set on DVD a few years ago, and have yet to watch more than a handful of episodes. Of course I still find them hysterically funny, no matter how many times I've seen them, but I've rarely felt the need to intentionally watch the episodes on DVD.

For the record, I don't find the DVD's all that objectionable to watch. The shows are ancient, and they should look a little gnarly, IMHO. Oddly, just the other day, I dug out a random HONEYMOONERS episode on DVD, just to see what it looked like on my new flat panel TV. And for the most part, it looked a bit grainy at 60", but I suspect Blu-ray will only enhance the grain.

The episode I chose was "The $99,000 Answer" and since a big part of the episode is supposed to take place on live TV, I used the Soap Opera Effect on max to make it look like live TV. The actual apartment scenes looked OK at that setting too, as many of the latter-day HONEYMOONERS were on videotape. It didn't look strange at all. Another good use for the SOE...

Harry

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#25 of 41 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,155 posts

Posted July 26 2013 - 08:35 AM

Mind you when these originally aired in the 50s they would have had a video look to them (being live broadcasts and all).

#26 of 41 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,152 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted July 26 2013 - 08:40 AM

Mind you when these originally aired in the 50s they would have had a video look to them (being live broadcasts and all).

Oh, for sure. But we've all gotten used to 50-odd years of the "Electronicam" film version, that it long surpasses any memory anyone might have of the original '50s broadcasts.

But yes, since these were performed live on stage, the SOE resurrects a bit of that feel.

Harry

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#27 of 41 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,239 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 26 2013 - 01:36 PM

That cover "art" not only conveys nothing of the spirit of the show -- as the "moon" graphic absolutely always did -- but I believe it stands an excellent chance of taking the Blue Ribbon in the contest for Most Weirdly Cropped and Composed Head Shot in the History of the Known Universe.

#28 of 41 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,829 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 26 2013 - 05:02 PM

...I believe it stands an excellent chance of taking the Blue Ribbon in the contest for Most Weirdly Cropped and Composed Head Shot in the History of the Known Universe.

statefair-06-lg.jpg

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#29 of 41 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted July 27 2013 - 04:50 AM

The Lost Episodes were done live. The Classic 39 were filmed before a studio audience, Tuesday and Thursday nights I believe, then aired on Saturday nights. When the Classic 39 originally aired, wouldn't it look like film?

The Classic 39 were done live, straight through on film, making edits for time particularly jarring and noticeable. I used to think they were syndication cuts. It's too bad those edits done for time were thrown away; I would love to have seen the "deleted footage" or have it worked back into the show.

#30 of 41 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted July 27 2013 - 03:39 PM

I'll always be a fan of the Lost Episodes version of the show as those were classics as well.

#31 of 41 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,287 posts

Posted July 27 2013 - 05:23 PM

The MSRP has jumped to $130 and the pre-order price, which was $90 earlier today is now at $115.  Costco or Sam's might stock this for the $75 that Amazon originally had this at, but the $115 is going to scare many consumers away.  I'll wait for discounts.  I don't think I paid more than $50 for any of the 4 BD TZ season sets I own.

http://www.amazon.co...ds=honeymooners

(please use Ron's link to support HTF if you order this :) )

Edited by Steve...O, July 27 2013 - 05:24 PM.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#32 of 41 OFFLINE   JimBarrese

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 05:52 PM

attachicon.gifpost-269895-0-08377800-1374566171.jpg

Now available for Preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

For that link it says format = DVD.  Mistake?

#33 of 41 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,276 posts

Posted August 05 2013 - 09:35 PM

No, that is the Blu-ray.

Here is the link again....

http://www.hometheat...2013/?p=3981999

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#34 of 41 OFFLINE   Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 732 posts

Posted August 20 2013 - 11:21 AM

I am sure the price will be more around the $50 something point when release date approaches. That is when they start to adjust to other places sale information. Such was the case with the Star Trek The Next Generation blu ray sets. Big Honeymooners fan, can't wait for these.

I got THE HONEYMOONERS Classic 39 set on DVD a few years ago, and have yet to watch more than a handful of episodes. Of course I still find them hysterically funny, no matter how many times I've seen them, but I've rarely felt the need to intentionally watch the episodes on DVD.

For the record, I don't find the DVD's all that objectionable to watch. The shows are ancient, and they should look a little gnarly, IMHO. Oddly, just the other day, I dug out a random HONEYMOONERS episode on DVD, just to see what it looked like on my new flat panel TV. And for the most part, it looked a bit grainy at 60", but I suspect Blu-ray will only enhance the grain.

The episode I chose was "The $99,000 Answer" and since a big part of the episode is supposed to take place on live TV, I used the Soap Opera Effect on max to make it look like live TV. The actual apartment scenes looked OK at that setting too, as many of the latter-day HONEYMOONERS were on videotape. It didn't look strange at all. Another good use for the SOE...

Harry

#35 of 41 OFFLINE   JimBarrese

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator

• 74 posts

Posted September 28 2013 - 06:45 PM

Delayed until March 18th 2014 according to Amazon.com

Edited by JimBarrese, September 28 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#36 of 41 OFFLINE   Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 732 posts

Posted September 29 2013 - 01:45 PM

I see, well as long as they are making it better.

#37 of 41 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 03:14 PM

My favorite TV show(along with BATMAN). I want to buy this set, but at this price, I hope there's a ton of extra material. The DVD's aren't really all that bad, except for a couple of episodes.

#38 of 41 OFFLINE   mrz7

mrz7

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted February 18 2014 - 10:24 AM

UPDATE: According to TVSHOWSONDVD.COM, "The Honeymooners: Classic 39", "I Love Lucy: Season One Ultimate Edition" and "The Andy Griffith: Season One" Blu-rays have been delayed (by about a month) to May 6, 2014. Just a guess, but maybe CBS is changing it's pricing strategy on these blu ray versions!!! Let's hope they are cheaper than what is being listed on Amazon right now!!!

#39 of 41 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted February 18 2014 - 10:57 AM

They will be cheaper shortly. $130 MSRP's marked down to $75 for season releases have no viability in today's marketplace. Once they've milked the most diehard fans during the opening few weeks on the market, the prices will surely be slashed to normal levels.

They're selling to normal people here, not Star Trek fans. You will no doubt be able to locate these things for $40 with ease at places like Amazon by summer. 

• Gary OS and Ron1973 like this

#40 of 41 OFFLINE   moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted February 18 2014 - 12:54 PM

I really wish that they would release "I Love Lucy" in a Complete Series set sooner rather than later. I wish they would've done what they did with TZ and DVD on blu-ray and released the complete set before the individual seasons. I guess I will wait a while on Lucy to see what they are going to do. I have "Honeymooners" pre-ordered and I have no interest in TAGS right now because I just bought the entire series on dvd last year.

• Rob_Ray likes this

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, Paramount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users