THE HONEYMOONERS (Classic 39) will be on Blu-ray on October 15th 2013

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by mrz7, Jul 22, 2013.

1. mrz7

mrz7 Stunt Coordinator

Scott Zuncic
  2. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    And they will be in my player on the same day!!!!

mrz7 likes this.
  3. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Thanks; this is great news! I have held off buying the DVD version for this very reason. I had long suspected that this show and ILL would be the two CBS/P B&W series to go blu at some point. The syndication bible hasn't been updated since May 2 and the Honeymooners had never been transferred to HD per that site so this is a pleasant surprise.

With CBS/P having finished Mannix, Matlock, Perry Mason, HGWT, etc. and getting close on Rawhide and some others it was going to be inteteresting to see what their future plans were. Very good to see that things are still in the pipeline for them.

Professor Echo and Gary OS like this.
  4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I have no real interest in purchasing this but I hope it does well so Paramount continues releasing classic era shows on Blu-ray.

5. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Hopefully it'll open some floodgates for classic blus...

MatthewA likes this.
  6. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    Hope this gets us one step closer to "I Love Lucy" on Blu...

Andrew Budgell and mrz7 like this.
  7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Hnymnrs_BRD_3D-S.jpg

Street Date: Oct 15, 2013 Retail Solicitation Date: Jul 22, 2013 Consumer Solicitation Date: Jul 22, 2013 Order Cut Off Date: Sep 3, 2013 UPC: 0-3242-91351-6-2 Brand: CBS Actors: Art Carney , Jackie Gleason , Audrey Meadows , Joyce Randolph Genre: Comedy , TV Synopsis: Once in a Blu-moon, a series comes along that changes our lives forever. The Honeymooners is just that. This comprehensive Blu-ray collection features all 39 full-length classic episodes, brilliantly remastered in high definition, and a wealth of special features. So get ready to join Ralph, Alice, Ed and Trixie on a trip to everlasting laughs. PRODUCT INFO: Runtime: 16 Hr. 57 Min. 00 Sec. Audio: US Rating: N/R Bonus Features: • Featurette: The Honeymooners Anniversary Special • Additional Scenes: Original Series: • Additional Scenes: Original Series: • Additional Scenes: Original Series:

lukejosephchung and dana martin like this.
  8. Roy Wall

Roy Wall Supporting Actor

Classic looking DVD Cover

9. Walsh61

Walsh61 Stunt Coordinator

Garth Lough
    This is one I've been waiting for. Great news for fans of The Great One!

I hope Andy Griffith will make it to Blu-ray as well.

10. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    Oh, hello there! As you can see, I'm setting down to watch my old Honeymooners reruns. I've got this old VHS release from CBS, and this box of disks from Paramount.
    Phew! It's a lot of collection to keep around. That's why they call me Home Theater Nut of the Past.
    If only there was a Blu-ray release that could do the work of ALLL these! :)

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Just curious. How many discs do you suppose will be in this set?

Probably not many, right?

12. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    I'm curious how this would look. As opposed to I Love Lucy, or The Andy Griffith Show - which were filmed, I thought The Honeymooners was taped.And because film has no 'native' resolution, it is possible, with proper scanning, to create an HD picture. Tape, on the other hand, does have a a native resolution (480 for NTSC, 576 for PAL). So can an HD picture be created from tape?David

13. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    IIRC, The "Classic 39" episodes that were actually originally aired as ""The Honeymooners" were filmed. This is what will be on the bluray. What are now referred to as "The Lost Episodes" (and were released in one huge box by MPI a couple years back) were sketches on the Jackie Gleason Show, and were kinescopes that were made into Honeymooners episodes in the 80s for Syndication to enhance the classic 39 run.

14. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Hi David, the classic 39 were filmed so these should look excellent. The "lost" episodes were kinescoped and the color ones were taped if memory serves.Mike - just a guess on my part but I'll say six which allows for 8 episodes per discs and the bonus features.This is just my opinion but I would have preferred a full cast photo for the cover.

15. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    Electronicam

The image passes through a lens into a beam splitter that sends half the light to a 35 mm or 16 mm camera mounted on the right side of the television camera. The other half of the light passes to the other side, through a 45-degree angle mirror and into a video camera tube. Because the camera dollies had to support two cameras—one conventional electronic orthicon tube TV camera, and one 35mm motion picture camera—the system was bulky and heavy, and somewhat clumsy in operation.

but that means that while these were live presentations, unlike other programs of that time that had Kinescope's, this was actually being filmed at the same time, if the info is correct it should have been 35mm filming at the same time, so the end result should be outstanding.

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

And this is why they still make both chocolate AND vanilla. I would have preferred artwork based on the classic moon graphic (which incorporated Gleason's face).

Thanks for the guestimate on the discs. I didn't think it would be that many.

[​IMG]

Professor Echo and Steve...O like this.
  17. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Your coverart works for me too. :) It is an instantly recognizable and iconic representation of the "Classic 39"

18. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    I love this series so much but it creeped me out when I was little. The opening with Gleason in the moon and the music. Also, the sparse sets and quietness. It came on a local channel late at night, so I shouldn't have been up. The Newlywed Game, The Twilight Zone, and Soap were shown at these weird hours too. So I felt uneasy watching it.

19. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    if they have truly remastered the episodes in high-def, too bad they don't release this on traditional DVD and replace the old box set, which certainly wasn't remastered.

20. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    post-269895-0-08377800-1374566171.jpg
    Now available for Preorder​
    Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. ​