Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Projector screen size and ratio

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   g.r.giles

g.r.giles

Auditioning

• 7 posts
  • LocationAcworth, Georgia

Posted June 03 2013 - 06:05 AM

As I was watching a movie last night on my work-in-progress HT I noticed that the Roku screen where I selected my movie and the subsequent movie presented were a different size.  The Roku screen turned out to be 131" x 73.5" or 16 x 9 or 1.7777 ratio.  The movie was 131" x 54.5" or 12 x 5 or 2.40 ration.  Then I, just to see, brought up an old TV car-tune, Family Guy.  It turned out to be 73.5" x 98" or 4 x 3 or .75 ratio.  

1)  When I paint on my screen, how do I get one screen to handle all those sizes?

2)  If the screen is bigger than the image, does it detract from the overall experience, especially if I'm watching some epic movie?  

3)  Does the screen seem to disappear into the back ground and become unnoticed?

Thanks,

Rich

Edited by g.r.giles, June 03 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,238 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted June 03 2013 - 06:50 AM

Welcome to the conundrum called..."What aspect ratio do I choose?"

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   g.r.giles

g.r.giles

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted June 03 2013 - 06:57 AM

Thanks.................

So it's the question that is almost as big as "why am I here".......... :)

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 03 2013 - 10:42 AM

Try a constant image height system or use your own masking system, the latter would be the cheaper option.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   g.r.giles

g.r.giles

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted June 03 2013 - 10:51 AM

I guess i'll just paint the whole wall for a screen and try for side curtains, an adjustable valance at the top and something to raise and lower at the bottom to block off the unused portions.  I guess all made of black velvet.

Well I don't need to solve it tomorrow so we'll see what else comes up as a solution.

Rich

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,183 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted June 03 2013 - 11:53 AM

I went with a 103", 16x9 screen.  That takes care of 80% of the high def TV I watch.  The rest is either pillar boxed (bars on the right and left during 4x3 shows), letter boxed (bars at the top and bottom on anything wider than 16x9) or window boxed (bars all the way around like during The Walking Dead). 

1.  My screen handles all aspect ratios.

2.  It may be me, but 30 seconds into an engaging show and I forget about the show matchign the screen.

3.  See 2.

Foxy has the alternative listed if you have the money to spend on it.  My budget nor my room would work with one of those systems.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   g.r.giles

g.r.giles

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted June 03 2013 - 01:16 PM

I went with a 103", 16x9 screen.  That takes care of 80% of the high def TV I watch.  The rest is either pillar boxed (bars on the right and left during 4x3 shows), letter boxed (bars at the top and bottom on anything wider than 16x9) or window boxed (bars all the way around like during The Walking Dead). 

1.  My screen handles all aspect ratios.

2.  It may be me, but 30 seconds into an engaging show and I forget about the show matchign the screen.

3.  See 2.

Foxy has the alternative listed if you have the money to spend on it.  My budget nor my room would work with one of those systems.

Thanks Robert,

I was kind of hoping that the extra screen hanging out would disappear 30 seconds into the movie.  Still though, if I can easily implement some kind of "masking" as Foxy calls it I would pursue it.

As far as budget, I don't have one, it's just to spend a little, be frugal but spend what needs to be spent and get the most bang for the buck.  It's a long term project so I don't need to bring it all out at once.  It's just been a lot of fun so far.  I had no idea that the Epson 8350 would make that kind of picture, that big.  And it's not even a pricey projector.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,183 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted June 05 2013 - 06:37 AM

http://www.highdefdi.../news/show/2798

That's an article on constant height projector systems.  "frugal" doesn't fit into that type of system.  It is a luxury and definitely not a bang for the buck type system.

I thought about it for about 30 seconds when I was researching my Panasonic projector.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted June 05 2013 - 09:20 AM

The black bars don't bother me at all. Some people make such a big deal out of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users