What's new
World Wide Stereo

Projector screen size and ratio (1 Viewer)

g.r.giles

Auditioning
Real Name
Rich Giles
As I was watching a movie last night on my work-in-progress HT I noticed that the Roku screen where I selected my movie and the subsequent movie presented were a different size. The Roku screen turned out to be 131" x 73.5" or 16 x 9 or 1.7777 ratio. The movie was 131" x 54.5" or 12 x 5 or 2.40 ration. Then I, just to see, brought up an old TV car-tune, Family Guy. It turned out to be 73.5" x 98" or 4 x 3 or .75 ratio.

1) When I paint on my screen, how do I get one screen to handle all those sizes?

2) If the screen is bigger than the image, does it detract from the overall experience, especially if I'm watching some epic movie?

3) Does the screen seem to disappear into the back ground and become unnoticed?

Thanks,
Rich

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Try a constant image height system or use your own masking system, the latter would be the cheaper option.

g.r.giles

Auditioning
Real Name
Rich Giles
I guess i'll just paint the whole wall for a screen and try for side curtains, an adjustable valance at the top and something to raise and lower at the bottom to block off the unused portions. I guess all made of black velvet.

Well I don't need to solve it tomorrow so we'll see what else comes up as a solution.

Rich

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I went with a 103", 16x9 screen. That takes care of 80% of the high def TV I watch. The rest is either pillar boxed (bars on the right and left during 4x3 shows), letter boxed (bars at the top and bottom on anything wider than 16x9) or window boxed (bars all the way around like during The Walking Dead).

1. My screen handles all aspect ratios.
2. It may be me, but 30 seconds into an engaging show and I forget about the show matchign the screen.
3. See 2.

Foxy has the alternative listed if you have the money to spend on it. My budget nor my room would work with one of those systems.

g.r.giles

Auditioning
Real Name
Rich Giles
Robert_J said:
I went with a 103", 16x9 screen. That takes care of 80% of the high def TV I watch. The rest is either pillar boxed (bars on the right and left during 4x3 shows), letter boxed (bars at the top and bottom on anything wider than 16x9) or window boxed (bars all the way around like during The Walking Dead).

1. My screen handles all aspect ratios.
2. It may be me, but 30 seconds into an engaging show and I forget about the show matchign the screen.
3. See 2.

Foxy has the alternative listed if you have the money to spend on it. My budget nor my room would work with one of those systems.
Thanks Robert,

I was kind of hoping that the extra screen hanging out would disappear 30 seconds into the movie. Still though, if I can easily implement some kind of "masking" as Foxy calls it I would pursue it.
As far as budget, I don't have one, it's just to spend a little, be frugal but spend what needs to be spent and get the most bang for the buck. It's a long term project so I don't need to bring it all out at once. It's just been a lot of fun so far. I had no idea that the Epson 8350 would make that kind of picture, that big. And it's not even a pricey projector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks