Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Affordable 3D blu ray player recommendations?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 damian-C

damian-C

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted May 16 2013 - 12:45 PM

I am looking for a 3d blu ray player for my Samsung 8000 series 55" LED TV. What would you guys recommend at an affordable price? It might be used to play avi or mp3 files too.

#2 of 9 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,611 posts

Posted May 16 2013 - 01:52 PM

I personally like the Panasonics, though I haven't actually

owned one in quite a few years (I own an Oppo which is

anything but affordable).

Whatever you do, stick with brands you know.  Anything

you are thinking about buying, punch up on Amazon and

read the reviews from people that own it.

Are you the same guy that had a problem with his Samsung

Blu-ray player?  I ask, because I would normally say stick

with the same brand player as your display so you can work

them both off a single remote.  However, if your past experience

with Samsung was not good, then I am probably giving you

bad advice.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 9 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,257 posts

Posted May 16 2013 - 02:13 PM

Haven't connected the Playstation 3 to a home-theater setup, so I can't get into all the arcane geekery of its audio capabilities--When it came out, the biggest complaint was about minor 3D-menu issues, but what haven't been fixed since are negligible at best.

But for the sheer amount of "smart" streaming-television apps (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu, etc.) you get standard--and optimized for a machine designed to create better resolution faster on less streaming--it makes a better settop streaming box than the Roku, or any of the apps in a standalone player.

#4 of 9 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 3,814 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted May 16 2013 - 03:55 PM

I'll throw in a few models.  I would take the Sony over the Panasonic but i have experience of the step down Panasonic model and it works flawlessly thus the bigger brother should be fine, ignore the 1 star Amazon reviews, all models get it, later firmware usually would have fixed any issues and if you go for last years models you are more likely to get a stable release without issues that some of the newer models will have.

http://www.amazon.co...blu ray players

http://www.amazon.co...blu ray players

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 of 9 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,611 posts

Posted May 17 2013 - 02:12 AM

Looking at both links.  Excellent recommendations.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 9 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,564 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 17 2013 - 04:37 AM

I have both Panasonics and Sonys (the Sony replaced my PS3 which finally died after six years of heavy use and not even for gaming). I've also had Samsungs. Samsung had the shortest shelf life which is why I didn't go back to it. I read lots of complaints about the Panasonic's ability to do reliable streaming, but since I don't stream much (only have a DSL internet), it's no problem for me (it streams YouTube just fine which is the extent of my streaming).

For playing 3D and regular Blu-ray, both Panasonic and Sony are excellent and seem no different in picture quality. For DVD upconversion, I think Panasonic handles that the best.

#7 of 9 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,115 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted May 17 2013 - 06:36 AM

I have a PS3 for my 55 inch 3D display and a Sony 3D player for my Panasonic 3D projector and they both work fine.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#8 of 9 Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,496 posts

Posted May 17 2013 - 07:04 AM

I use a Panasonic 3D player for my Sony 3D projector.

#9 of 9 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,859 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 21 2013 - 09:49 AM

Sony 3D player to 50" Panny plasma via Onkyo 3D receiver. No major problems.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users