Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What's on your Weekend Viewing List?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1294 replies to this topic

#141 of 1295 OFFLINE   JimMiller

JimMiller

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 07:47 AM

Last night it was Columbia's 1958 "Night of the Demon" with Dana Andrews.  This would be a great BD along with 1944's "The Uninvited", made at a time when less was more.  Both films are (IMHO) beautifully shot and new hi-def masters would only enhance these classics.  Here's hoping!

#142 of 1295 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,169 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 02 2013 - 01:43 PM

My weekend was kind of crazy (daughter's graduation, Canada Day), but I did manage to squeeze in another viewing of Mimic: The Director's Cut. In spite of Weinstein meddling, it's still a good, fun, creepy bug hunt flick.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#143 of 1295 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Supporting Actor

• 656 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted July 03 2013 - 10:42 AM

Westerns, including The Tramplers, The Gun Hawk, Massacre River, Powder River, and Western Union.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#144 of 1295 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,697 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 03 2013 - 10:44 AM

I haven't figured out what I'm going to watch except for seeing The Heat at my local theater.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#145 of 1295 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 03 2013 - 10:58 AM

I don't always get to plan ahead on my viewing...but I'm sure I'm going to be spinning up 1776 at some time in the next couple of days. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#146 of 1295 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,786 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 12:08 PM

Not a complete list yet. But do know aboutThe ProducersYankee Doodle DandyPossibles: 1776, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, portion of Holiday InnPlus listening to Stan Freberg "United States Of America"

#147 of 1295 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,597 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 03 2013 - 01:58 PM

It was going to just be Gettysburg and Gods and Generals, but now I have received my blu rays of Tootsie and The China Syndrome so I HAVE to give those a spin!

#148 of 1295 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,160 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 05 2013 - 04:25 AM

I FINALLY got to Argo last weekend. Very enjoyable suspenser; Affleck definitely should have been nominated for Best Director. I think had I been a voting member of the Academy, I would have selected Lincoln for my choice as Best Picture, but Argo isn't a shameful choice.

I also got to the rest of the movies in The Falcon package: there were four I hadn't seen, and since they're each only an hour or so in length, it was easy watching the rest of them over the weekend and into this week.

Back to the Warner Archives this weekend. It'll be a musical: Texas Carnival maybe or Small Town Girl. We'll see how much time I have on my hands depending on what comes in for review (expecting some Criterions any day and maybe Love Is a Many Splendored Thing will arrive early).

#149 of 1295 OFFLINE   sean1976

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted July 05 2013 - 08:26 AM

I FINALLY got to Argo last weekend. Very enjoyable suspenser; Affleck definitely should have been nominated for Best Director. I think had I been a voting member of the Academy, I would have selected Lincoln for my choice as Best Picture, but Argo isn't a shameful choice.

I've been meaning to check Argo out, but was a bit turned off when I found out that they took what was a Canadian government initiative in real life and turned it into an American one in the movie.  Kind of like if Canadians made a movie about the ride of Paul Revere,  but had him ride from Thunder Bay to Sault Ste. Marie instead.

Edited by sean1976, July 05 2013 - 09:25 AM.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves " -

Edward R. Murrow

#150 of 1295 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,697 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 05 2013 - 05:21 PM

So far, The Heat in the movie theater along with the blu-rays of Crashout and The Grass is Greener done.  Next up is the 3-D Blu-ray of Oz the Great and Powerful.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#151 of 1295 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Supporting Actor

• 656 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted July 05 2013 - 05:40 PM

The Godfather Trilogy.

#152 of 1295 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,615 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted July 06 2013 - 09:41 AM

Well it's been a lovely sunny day in the UK, it's 6.30pm, the chicken's in the oven & the wine's open & I'm in the mood for movies. But it looks like I'm going lo-fi tonight, DVD's of:

The List Of Adrian Messenger

The President's Analyst

& rounding off with Boris Karloff as Fu Manchu.

#153 of 1295 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,615 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted July 07 2013 - 10:01 AM

Well it's been a lovely sunny day in the UK, it's 6.30pm, the chicken's in the oven & the wine's open & I'm in the mood for movies. But it looks like I'm going lo-fi tonight, DVD's of:

The List Of Adrian Messenger

The President's Analyst

& rounding off with Boris Karloff as Fu Manchu.

A good batch, The Mask Of Fu Manchu is a riot! I looked at it twice, the second time with the commentry (a bit annoying at times, but very informative), & it looks like this is one of the most censored, cut-about films to come out of Hollywood - something to offend everyone! - & it looks so good (transfered from the original negs. I understand). I've had the Warner, Hollywood Legends Of Horror Collection for some time, & this is the first time I've seen any of the films. It's going to be, Doctor X & The Return Of Doctor X tonight.

#154 of 1295 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,066 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted July 07 2013 - 10:51 AM

great long weekend kicked off the Holiday with Stars and Stripes Forever then yesterday The Heat and Man of Steel at the theater, today Looney Tunes Mouse Collection

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#155 of 1295 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,820 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 07 2013 - 05:29 PM

Had a busy weekend, so only had time to view Marnie and The Producers. We finally finished the Alfred Hitchcock Collection!

#156 of 1295 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,753 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 07 2013 - 05:41 PM

Beautiful, if a bit sizzling, weather here in LA has kept me outdoors the last few weekends, but did manage to watch BIKINI BEACH last night in air conditioned splendor. Flat letterboxed, so a frustrating watch, but still a fun summer movie. Would love for most of the Frankie/Annette titles to go Blu, but I doubt MGM even knows they exist.

#157 of 1295 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,697 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 08 2013 - 01:37 AM

Well, I didn't watch anything yesterday as a dreaded summer cold had me confine to bed rest for most of my Sunday.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#158 of 1295 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Supporting Actor

• 656 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted July 11 2013 - 01:43 PM

60s spy movies including The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, The Quiller Memorandum, The Kremlin Letter, Funeral in Berlin, and Thunderball.

#159 of 1295 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,160 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 12 2013 - 04:14 AM

I did manage to find time last weekend to get to a Warner Archives disc - Texas Carnival and this weekend I'll likely do the same. It'll probably be New Moon  or Sweethearts.

I had time this week to pluck from the vault the old made-for-TV movie The Night Stalker. I was surprised that Universal (on the Anchor Bay label) offered a widescreen presentation of it that didn't look half bad for such an old DVD transfer. I guess I'll watch its follow-up The Night Strangler at some point this weekend.

From the Blu-ray stack, I'll pick The American President. I really like this movie, but I've been getting by with the laserdisc all these years so I'm looking forward to seeing it in much crisper resolution.

#160 of 1295 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,405 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 12 2013 - 05:41 AM

My Saturday viewing will consist of The Blob and Them! (both in 35mm) and Tarantula (projected from DVD) at the beautiful Colonial Theatre in Phoenixville, PA.  I even got tickets to the always sold-out annual "run-out" tonight -- because there are some things you have to do or see at least once.  Right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users