What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (1 Viewer)

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
This weekend, I will attempt to replicate THE ULTIMATE MARVEL MARATHON, watching all six movies, as presented at select AMC Theaters over a year ago, leading up to the premiere of THE AVENGERS!!!!! :)

Each of the films will be seen in the order in which they were listed. :D And, where applicable, the 3D titles will be viewed accordingly during THE ULTIMATE MARVEL MARATHON!!!!!! :3dglasses:

And as was the case in 2012...I will be watching THE AVENGERS at home for the first time since I saw it at the theater last Memorial Day weekend!!!! :3dglasses:

I am really looking forward to this!!!!! :3dglasses:

After the busy albeit interesting week of training I had at work this week...I am so very ready for this weekend!!!!!

ENJOY, everybody!!!!!! I am just getting started on this specific topic!!!!!! It all gets even bigger three weeks from now!!!! ;) Stay tuned!!!!! :cool:

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I started the weekend with another screening of Star Trek Into Darkness, and am watching the new German blu-ray of Tootsie. I'll probably watch Dick Tracy and get caught up on my 3D viewings of Jurassic Park and Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. Then on Sunday night, I'll be watching Behind the Candelabra on HBO.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Okay, so far I've viewed Fast & Furious 6. Don't ask, the series is one of my guilty pleasures. For an action film, it was pretty good even with the unrealistic action scenes. This morning I viewed one of old man's favorite films, "Bataan" starring Robert Taylor and Lloyd Nolan. A War film about a suicide mission in which a small group of soldiers are in charge of blowing up a key bridge and keeping the Japanese from rebuilding during the early days of WWII. Back in the day, if this film was playing on the TV, my father would sit down and watch it which in turn got me to pay attention to it as it became one of my vintage WWII films.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Skyfall because I haven't seen it yet and the BRD has been sitting around for quite some time. I'm not a big James Bond fan but I expect to be at least moderately entertained.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Tentatively planning on screening...

The Great Escape - Curious to see where I'll stand on the new Blu-ray release's transfer. I'm guessing I'll be mostly pleased with it.
Howl's Moving Castle - Finally more Miyazaki on Blu-Ray. I'll save Tortoro for later.
An Officer and a Gentleman - Heard the transfer was great, and it has been a long time since I viewed this feature.
Side Effects - I pretty much like just about everything from Soderbergh.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Change in plans for me. I already viewed A Walk in the Sun. However, based on another thread discussion about The Man Who Knew Too Much, I will be viewing that BD tonight. RAH calls it one of the worse BDs out on the market. I'm sure he's probably right, but the independent streak in me insists I make up my own mind so it goes to the front of my viewing list.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Tina_H_V said:
And as was the case in 2012...I will be watching THE AVENGERS at home for the first time since I saw it at the theater last Memorial Day weekend!!!! :3dglasses:
Here's a crazy idea--How about leading it all up to a screening of The Avengers, but have it be the Ralph Fiennes/Uma Thurman movie? ;)
(And no whining about the teddy-bear-suit scene, it was straight out of the TV show.)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Friday night I watched Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy and Saturday I watched Delmer Daves' Jubal. Today is supposed to be a visit to an IMAX theater to see the new Star Trek film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On Sunday, I viewed the Jubal BD and the DVD of Guadalcanal Diary. I thought the Criterion BD was excellent and surprising the DVD of Diary holds up pretty well. I played both on my Oppo 103 so the up conversion probably helped the latter. Mr. Crisp should be proud of his work on Jubal.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Ejanss said:
Here's a crazy idea--How about leading it all up to a screening of The Avengers, but have it be the Ralph Fiennes/Uma Thurman movie? ;)
(And no whining about the teddy-bear-suit scene, it was straight out of the TV show.)
HAHAHA!!!!! A good one, indeed. You know what??? For that...I will see if I can find a copy of this film to watch sometime for fun!!!!! ;)

Actually, I just concluded my ULTIMATE MARVEL MARATHON just moments ago. Seeing these movies lined up in a row accordingly is, I admit, a whole lot of fun. I surely look forward to trying this again sometime in the future. :3dglasses:

Now, I am off to go watch Yogi Bear 3D before calling it a night!!!! :3dglasses: My big weekend is less than three weeks away now and I am very looking forward to that!!!! There will be all kinds of Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray viewing to do at that time--guaranteed!!!!! :3dglasses: :lol: More later as that very weekend approaches!!!!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This morning, I finally broke open the Ultimate Gangster Collection: Classics. As I debated to which one will be first up for viewing, I finally decided the best of the bunch had to be first in order which is White Heat in my opinion. As I viewed Cagney's performance in this film for the umpteenth time, I can see the actor borrowing from his performances in Angels With Dirty Faces and 13 Rue Madeleine. Over the years, I always wonder if that was Cagney's real laugh or not?

No offense to the other actors, but how did Cagney not get nominated for Best Actor that year? I can understand four of those nominations, but Richard Todd?

Broderick Crawford - All The KIng's Men
John Wayne - Sands of Iwo Jima
Gregory Peck - Twelve O'clock High
Richard Todd - The Hasty Heart
KIrk Douglas - Champion

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, this weekend I attempted to get to some titles that I have
been putting off for years, still in their original shrinkwrap.

Today I opened up Zodiac on Blu-ray, a 2007 film starring
Mark Ruffalo and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Really loved it. Thought it was completely well made.

Have a few hours left to the holiday so I am perusing over
my collection as to what to watch next. Will try for a classic
and get back to all of you in a few hours.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After watching Cagney in White Heat, I decided this late afternoon to view a film in which another actor did get a Best Actor Nomination that year so I pulled out the Olive BD of Champion. For the most part, the BD looks pretty good. Much improvement over the prior DVD release from 1999. The film isn't as good as Body and Soul, but it holds up well for a vintage boxing film. Kirk Douglas gave a superb performance in this film and without a question deserved his nomination.

Well, that's it for me this long Holiday weekend as I viewed several films during a quiet, but productive film viewing weekend.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished watching Funny Girl.

First time watching it all the way through.

Decent. A bit long.

I suppose I liked it enough that I am looking
forward to seeing what happens in Funny Lady
when Twilight Time eventually releases it.

The transfer was among the best I have seen. Flawless!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Every year on the Sunday before Memorial Day I watch either VANISHING POINT or THE FRENCH CONNECTION to commemorate one of the greatest double features from my youth on that Memorial Day weekend Sunday in 1972 when both were playing second run in Chicago. So last night I watched the Blu of VANISHING POINT and thought it was an excellent transfer on every level, with a very effective 5.1 soundtrack that wasn't overdone and matched the movie perfectly. As always, I loved the picture.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I have always been a big fan of Vanishing Point. Despite the improbability of the film's storyline, I have always enjoyed the combination of genre film making (some of the best road racing sequences of the '70s populate this film) and art house aesthetic. Intellectually I am aware of some of the film's failings (why is there a deadline, and the car is supposed to be delivered, not destroyed) but I ignore those questions because of the way the film resonates with me in its tone, and the feelings it evokes.

I generally always like 'road' films, especially arty road films and this one works for me. Looking forward to the upcoming Blu-Ray of Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. Not quite as effective as Vanishing Point, but similar in some respects.

- Walter.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
This past weekend I watched several movies for their soundtrack. I picked movies that I thought or were supposed to have a fantastic soundtrack.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
I have watched this movie many times so this time I focused about 80% of my attention to the music. Doing so really changed my viewing. Some people have thought the extended version adds scenes that slow down the movie and are pointless. One extra scene is when Angel Eyes walks into the Confederate fort. First I like the scene because it actually explains why Angel Eyes is at the POW camp and enlisted with the North. Without this scene he just magically and conveniently happens to be there when Tuco and Blondie show up for no reason. Secondly this scene has an excellent brass score making it worthy of viewing just for the music.

The other change I found is that some of the overly long scenes are now too short. When Tuco finds the cemetery and runs around and around, if you are just looking to move the plot forward it seems to go on forever. However, with Ecstasy of Gold playing (my favorite music of the movie) he finds Arch Stanton's grave too quick. The same is true of The Trio. Tuco, Blondie, and Angel Eyes seem to take forever before someone draws but when I was focused on the music it was like "Ah man. Why did you have to shoot so soon?"

Once Upon a Time in the West
I had watched this once before on blu and many had said it had the best soundtrack. I personally didn't remember it very well so I was hoping for another if not better TGTBTU. Unfortunately I was let down. It wasn't that the music wasn't good, it was there were really only 4 themes and while the music was used to excellent effect, it was very rarely used. It is amazing how much of this movie has no sound. Even when you count the exaggerated natural sounds as a soundtrack, which Ennio Marricone did on purpose, it was pretty light. This movie is great but I still consider TGTBTU a superior film in all aspects.

Tron Legacy
I consider this movie to have the best soundtrack of recent movies. Daft Punk provides excellent music that just goes perfectly with each scene it is playing. This movie just speaks to me and it is almost the perfect movie. I loved Tron when it came out and I think it still holds up beautifully. I also became a father during the time between the two movies so I empathize with both Sam Flynn trying to save his dad and Kevin Flynn willing to sacrifice everything to protect his son. When a movie speaks to a person there is no point in debating the merits and quality; it either does or it doesn't. However I would be willing to debate / discuss that this movie has the best soundtrack of any modern day movie. There are other modern day movies with great soundtracks but this one steps up another level.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks