What's new

old home cinema system replace dvd or just throw out? (1 Viewer)

erl113

Auditioning
Real Name
sandu
I own an old home cinema system philips lx3600d/22 and i have recently suffered a short that subsequintly fried the sound board , all other functions working great except for the fact that absolutely no sound is coming out of the speakers (the speakers are all fine)
I wanted to know if there is a dvd or something out there that can match the speakers i already own that have great quality
The specks of my sistem can be found here:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/l/lx3600d_22/lx3600d_22_pss_aen.pdf
Is there something i can use out of all that information that i can use to find a compatible dvd player with the speakers i have?

mpompey

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Michael Pompey
You are going to need another Blu-Ray/DVD player and a Receiver to use your current speakers. Blu-Ray/DVD players by themselves will not drive your system for you.

That is draw back of Home Theater in a Box (HTIB) systems. They are highly proprietary, and when something breaks on them you usually have to replace the whole thing. At least you can reuse your speakers. Some HTIB systems have some kind of custom connection that makes the speakers impossible to use with anything else.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yep, you'll need an AVR that can handle 4ohm speakers...look at Onkyo only, unless you want to buy an AVR over $600.Powered sub. And a DVD/BD player.

erl113

Auditioning
Real Name
sandu
Am i correct when i say that the only things i need to look for in a receiver compatibility are the ohms and the rms (W?), is there something else?
So in the end i either buy a receiver/amplifier and dvd/bluray player combo and keep the old speakers or just put in a little more money and buy a brand spanking new 5.1 sistem with a lot more power and with a lot of functions.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
RMS is meaningless in an amp and speaker.

Volts(which they won't give you) is the more accurate power representation.

Volts into an ohm load gives you watts. Ohm load is variable...so watts is variable.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It looks like you also may need a receiver with speaker-level outputs for the subwoofer. Those are also few and far between. An Onkyo that came with the HT-3400/3500 is the only one I can think of. Yamaha might have something. Or a new subwoofer that works with the new receiver.

Receivers that are listed as 4 ohm compatible and can safely power 4 ohm speakers tend to be very pricey. But it would be kind of silly to pay $500+ for a receiver to power htib speakers. Either find an older high-current receiver off ebay/craiglist or toss the whole thing and start over. That's one of the many reasons htib's aren't recommended too often around here, or anywhere else. One part breaks and the you most likey have to chuck the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks