Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Pick Up "An Officer and a Gentleman"?

Paramount Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted May 08 2013 - 05:10 AM

Loved this movie back in '82 and still do today. Another day or so before I get it, so wondering how it looks and sounds on Blu.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#2 of 9 jauritt

jauritt

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 05:55 AM

For what it's worth, I posted this on BR.com yesterday:

It FAR exceeded my admittedly low expectations for a catalog release from '82.  PQ is outstanding - vibrant colors (reds especially stand out), deep blacks, film-like.  Audio was also terrific - the music really filled the room.  If the reviews on this one don't come in with minimum 4.5's for PQ and AQ I'd be very surprised, and would question the validity of both the review and the reviewer.

If this is any indication of what to expect from WB on future Paramount releases, there's a lot to look forward to.

#3 of 9 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,572 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 06:53 AM

Mine is in transit.  As I recall, the DVD was pretty dark and I'm curious how the Blu-ray compares in this regard.

- Walter.

Edited by Walter Kittel, May 08 2013 - 06:53 AM.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#4 of 9 Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,571 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 09:15 AM

It FAR exceeded my admittedly low expectations for a catalog release from '82.  PQ is outstanding - vibrant colors (reds especially stand out), deep blacks, film-like.  Audio was also terrific - the music really filled the room.  If the reviews on this one don't come in with minimum 4.5's for PQ and AQ I'd be very surprised, and would question the validity of both the review and the reviewer.

If this is any indication of what to expect from WB on future Paramount releases, there's a lot to look forward to.

Thank you.  This is one of my favorite 80's films.  I'm glad to know it was treated properly.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#5 of 9 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,866 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 11:36 AM

I thank you as well and hope you will post more of your reviews

here on HTF.  

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 9 BRAD1963

BRAD1963

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 12:38 PM

Yes, I was able to take a peek at it but have not watched it all the way through yet. From what I have seen the PQ is quite good, maybe even outstanding.  I'm planning to watch it Saturday evening along with The Verdict.

#7 of 9 BRAD1963

BRAD1963

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted May 09 2013 - 08:04 PM

I have to say , it does look great on blu ray.  One of the best catalog releases so far this year.

#8 of 9 Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted May 10 2013 - 04:00 PM

OK, saw this title today and I'm very pleased. Warner did an amazing job on this transfer. Dark, inky blacks, great color balance, little to no sharpening or noise reduction I could see on a 55" display, but a lot of filmic-looking detail. Reds and greens in particular seem to be very vibrant. Whatever source was used for this disc is in very good shape. No sign of dirt or defects. There is a small amount of "weave" in the image on occasion that I would attribute to the scanner. The "dark" look of the old DVD is gone and the balance between shadow and light seems just right. Supplements from the 2007 DVD have been ported over and look very good. The source of these supplements seem a bit softer; the trailer is in high definition. 

Patterns on clothes and the detail in Louis Gossett, Jr's military uniform show with great depth and clarity. Although the original mono mix is gone, the DTS-MA soundtrack creates a pleasing atmosphere for this movie. Not too flashy, but very clear and centered.

Beyond all that, this is just a flat-out great film. Performances all around stand out and are career-makers, from LGJ's Oscar win to David Caruso's first big-screen appearance. With a budget of only 6 million and a 10 week shooting schedule, it's amazing what Taylor Hackford and crew were able to create. Multiple Oscar nominations, two wins (Gossett and Original Song), and 120 million dollars in box office. The story and themes in An Officer and a Gentleman still stand up well today. 

If this is an example of what any future catalog Paramount titles will look and sound like through Warner, it'll be a good time for Blu-ray fans.

As has been mentioned, a 4.5 for image, 5.0 for sound (from a mono source), and for me, a 4.5 for the film itself.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#9 of 9 BRAD1963

BRAD1963

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted May 11 2013 - 08:18 AM

I agree, I watched it last night and amazed on how great it looked on Blu ray and how well the film holds up after 3 decades.  I'm happy to have it in my collection.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paramount, Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users