Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone for a release of FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD on blu?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 03:06 PM

Hope we will see this John Schlesinger film on blu one of these days, and Julie Christie always looks great on any format..  

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,657 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 06:04 PM

This film would look awesome in hi-def.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 394 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted May 05 2013 - 06:55 PM

Absolutely agree.  This is a very underrated film in my opinion.  Question for the experts here.... I know this was shot in 35mm Panavision and played some dates in a 70mm blow up, but I have read that this film never had a stereo track, that it was released in mono only (same as HAWAII).  Can anyone confirm this?

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Stefan Andersson

Stefan Andersson

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 01:27 AM

Very good idea to release this film on blu.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,926 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted May 06 2013 - 03:09 AM

Absolutely agree.  This is a very underrated film in my opinion.  Question for the experts here.... I know this was shot in 35mm Panavision and played some dates in a 70mm blow up, but I have read that this film never had a stereo track, that it was released in mono only (same as HAWAII).  Can anyone confirm this?

I saw it in 70mm and it looked magnificent - I didn't even realise at the time that it was only a blow-up. I'm pretty sure that it was in stereo.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 03:30 AM

We used to run a 70mm blow-up at the National Film Theatre in London and I'm sure thunder used to boom out of the surround speakers during the storm-hayrick scene.  While a Blu-ray would be more than welcome, the R1 DVD looks most impressive.  

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Jon Lidolt

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted May 06 2013 - 05:58 AM

I was the art director at the theatre chain that presented this film in 70mm projection in Toronto. I can definitely confirm that it did have a stereo soundtrack. All 70mm prints were striped with 6 magnetic tracks which were added to the picture after processing. The vastly improved fidelity of the audio (35mm optical tracks sounded like a cheap desk top radio) accompanied by a noticeably brighter and sharper image projected onto a huge screen turned a trip to the movies into an event. 

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,146 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted May 06 2013 - 07:53 AM

simple answer, YES

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   atcolomb

atcolomb

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted May 06 2013 - 06:09 PM

Saw this for the first time last year on a TCM broadcast and what a great film with excellent acting and scenery. The Warner Bros. dvd looks good but would love to see a blu-ray release.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 12:37 AM

A 35mm print of this was shown at the BFI Southbank last

weekend. They checked a 70mm print but of course it had colour faded.

When Adrian was at the NFT they run some great 70mm prints, they were the days...

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   CULTMAN1

CULTMAN1

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 02:41 AM

I annoyingly missed the 35mm presentation yesterday Monday at the NFT. Does anyone know what the prinnt was like? The BFI advised all 70mm prints held at the NFTArchive were faded.......

I hope a Blu Ray surfaces this year maybe one for the rights owners Warner Bros?

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 03:17 AM

The BFI has 5 x 70mm prints of this title in the Archive,

I ran a 35mm print of this a few years ago and it was

pretty good, it had a Mono track.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   CULTMAN1

CULTMAN1

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 03:53 AM

Fascinating and thank you. I am surprised these are all pink now ...a shame...

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   AdrianTurner

AdrianTurner

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted May 07 2013 - 05:23 AM

Julie is still pretty in pink . . . and so of course is Terry.  

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   CULTMAN1

CULTMAN1

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted May 08 2013 - 12:44 AM

You should pass this on to Geoff Andrew at the BFi who resolutely refused to screen the 70mm version. They have the projection equipment but do they have the enthusiasm to screen 70mm?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users