Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Shout Factory to release Vincent Price collection!

Shout Factory

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 of 86 OFFLINE   JoHud

• 3,071 posts

Posted October 25 2013 - 12:36 AM

Having watched The Masque of the Red Death, I noticed a couple odd authoring blips near the end portions of the movie where the video somewhat glitches in a what that it appears like a wrinkle on the transfer.  Perhaps this is an error on my end?

Other than that, I greatly enjoyed this collection.  I sincerely hope Shout! considers releasing a Vol 2 with the remaining PBS Vincent Prince introductions.  It doesn't have to be all horror, just as long as we get more AIP Vincent Price.

#82 of 86 OFFLINE   dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,538 posts

Posted October 28 2013 - 10:16 AM

I've been watching one film per evening in disc order. So far I've screened "Pit and the Pendulum", "The Masque of the Red Death", and "The Haunted Palace". I had no idea that "Palace" was based primarily on H.P. Lovecraft's "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" and it was a pleasant discovery. This is my first viewing of any of these films and I've got to say that they're really delightful! It seems that the team of Corman/Price was very synergistic, and Mr. Price is a consummate actor. He really does elevate the proceedings here. The phrase, "The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts" really does apply IMO. While the transfers aren't perfect I think that Shout has done an admirable job and I'm glad we have these movies presented in a collection of this caliber. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the set. For $42 this title was an absolute steal! Tonight it's "The Fall of the House of Usher".

Edited by dpippel, October 28 2013 - 12:56 PM.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#83 of 86 OFFLINE   JohnMor

• 3,974 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted October 28 2013 - 12:52 PM

Just received my set today.  Will be screening up to Halloween.  Really looking forward to seeing these again.  It's been YEARS!

#84 of 86 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

• 2,089 posts

Posted September 23 2015 - 09:51 AM

Goddamnit! Me and my slothful nature. "Oh, I'll get it soon! Someday soon!" Now the stupid thing is out of print and going for 200 bucks. WEAK!

#85 of 86 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

• 7,816 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 23 2015 - 10:39 AM

From what I've gathered Shout lost the rights to have the titles together in a box set. I'm expecting individual releases for the titles in 2016.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#86 of 86 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

• 2,089 posts

Posted September 23 2015 - 11:01 AM

Yeah, reading further (and between the lines), that looks like the case. And I have them on DVD, so its not like I dont have them in some format - it's just annoying.

Ah well, there are other Scream! fish in the horror sea. . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users