Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Mad Men Season 6

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#81 of 171 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 08:48 AM

I don't think we can conclude that is it.. I think it's something that will linger.  Remember, for people in NY, the RFK assassination was huge; but it happened while they were sleeping, at night in California... so the impact wasn't as immediate or in a place where they were awake to think about it right away.   I think it also captured how numb everyone was to these events; it was shocking.. but it was just another shock along the road.

I was hoping to see the "as they hear about it" reaction from the younger staffers, especially Peg.  I hope they don't just drop it next episode.  That would be a huge let down.

#82 of 171 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,862 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 09:27 AM

I thought they handled the RFK bit perfectly.  Certainly don't need yet another episode devoted to yet another shooting.  I'd imagine it will be acknowledged next week, but not much coverage.  It was played well in that we saw how truly distant Megan and Don are.  I'd be fine if the assassination is never even mentioned again.

This episode had some great moments, but I really had no interest in the stuff with Pete's mom, and the "Don-imatrix" stuff seemed kind of out there.

Pretty much impossible to root for Don at this point, so I will enjoy seeing Ted outwit him.

#83 of 171 Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,469 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 13 2013 - 10:31 AM

I'm not sure how much they'll linger...if at all.

I think the point of it coming at the end of an episode FULL of repeat scenes that we have seen in the past (and even repeats within this episode - Don 1 ups Ted, Ted 1 ups Don - is a nod to how repetitive RFK's assassination felt to the public.  Another Kennedy, another tragedy...and so close after King.

History repeats itself and power is fleeting...we saw Joan welcome Peggy and walk her to her office, we saw Don blanking out on another wife, we saw Burt getting fired again - some of it was hilarious (I watched Roger fire Burt a couple times), some of it was sad.

But, Peggy's words rang truest: "move forward".  I don't believe Don knows how.  If his cruel domination of Sylvia was his idea of how to show her he was falling for her...it backfired.  Good for her.  Sorry to see Cardellini go, but screw Don.  He deserves to be alone. 

• Josh Dial likes this

#84 of 171 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted May 13 2013 - 12:07 PM

History repeats itself...

Exactly.  This was clearly the theme this episode was playing on, and I thought it was expertly executed.  Even some of the dialogue referenced the theme (Don asking Sylvia to repeat "I need you and nothing else will do," Roger commenting on the firing was so fun he wanted to do it again).

The Gilligan's Island sequence was especially interesting, with Don using "old" references (Marilyn Monroe and Dorothea Lange) within a "new" example.  Stuck in the past?

#85 of 171 Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,469 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 13 2013 - 03:57 PM

The Gilligan's Island sequence was especially interesting, with Don using "old" references (Marilyn Monroe and Dorothea Lange) within a "new" example.  Stuck in the past?

Nice catch.  He sure is.

I had also forgotten the time Don waited with Joan in the hospital...this time it was Bob Benson.  And, the words "that happened years ago" or something to that effect uttered by both Don (to Peggy) and Pete (to his mom).

#86 of 171 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,640 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 15 2013 - 06:26 PM

I HOPE that's the end of the affair. It was certainly an odd (but definitely intriguing) last hurrah. Most everything else I found very interesting and absorbing. One of the better episodes of the season.

#87 of 171 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted May 19 2013 - 10:09 PM

Mark that one down as one of the strangest episodes of the entire series.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#88 of 171 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted May 20 2013 - 04:42 AM

Yup, pretty trippy.  Cosgrove's tapdance was inspired, though.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#89 of 171 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,434 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 20 2013 - 04:53 AM

Cosgrove's tapdance was inspired, though.

For some reason that reminded me of Leland Palmer singing in Twin Peaks. "Ohhh, mairzy doats and..."

#90 of 171 Dheiner

Dheiner

Gazoo

• 1,849 posts
  • Location'skonsen

Posted May 20 2013 - 05:04 AM

I found that episode to be one of the most ridiculous episodes of TV I've ever seen, from a normally high quality show.  

I put it right alongside the "Dreaming" episodes of The Sopranos".  I know that quite a few viewers loved those, and I expect that many of those, and others, will love this episode.  

I hated it, and it caused me to remove Mad Men from my scheduled recordings.

The Green Bay Packers
13-Time National Football League Champions: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, & 2010

#91 of 171 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,862 posts

Posted May 20 2013 - 05:35 AM

I found that episode to be one of the most ridiculous episodes of TV I've ever seen, from a normally high quality show.  

I put it right alongside the "Dreaming" episodes of The Sopranos".  I know that quite a few viewers loved those, and I expect that many of those, and others, will love this episode.  

I thought of the Sopranos episode as well.  Although I think I liked this one a bit better than The Sopranos one.  At least this episode advanced the plot in some way.

Bit of an overreaction, no?

Edited by Scott Hanson, May 20 2013 - 05:35 AM.

#92 of 171 Dheiner

Dheiner

Gazoo

• 1,849 posts
  • Location'skonsen

Posted May 20 2013 - 06:04 AM

Bit of an overreaction, no?

A more accurate way of phrasing it would have been "...it was the final straw that .."

The Green Bay Packers
13-Time National Football League Champions: 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1996, & 2010

#93 of 171 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted May 20 2013 - 06:41 AM

For some reason that reminded me of Leland Palmer singing in Twin Peaks. "Ohhh, mairzy doats and..."

It was as if David Lynch directed this episode. 

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#94 of 171 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted May 20 2013 - 07:52 AM

I thought it was a brilliant episode--one that really challenged astute viewers to detect the themes and symbolism.  There was some very real, meaningful character exploration here.  I think the similarities with The Sopranos episode "Funhouse" (among others) is only superficial.

Even the joke lines had some subtext to them this week!  Bobby's "Are we Negroes?" has an easy, but interesting answer.

I'm glad the show never hand-holds its viewers, and tells the story it wants to tell.

Mad Men is the smartest show on TV.

#95 of 171 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts

Posted May 20 2013 - 08:29 AM

Don't mean to dump on this thread, but we all have different opinions.

I've tried watching this show 2-3 times, got through season one, partway through two and gave up, tried again a few times with later seasons, but I can't stand it. Started recording this season, but DVR was filling up, so this was the first to go.

Maybe it's a psychological thing. I was a little kid during the era represented and have happy memories of that time. Might just be that I don't want them ruined by a show like this. It just makes me uncomfortable.

Stan

#96 of 171 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted May 20 2013 - 08:59 AM

Don't mean to dump on this thread, but we all have different opinions.

I've tried watching this show 2-3 times, got through season one, partway through two and gave up, tried again a few times with later seasons, but I can't stand it. Started recording this season, but DVR was filling up, so this was the first to go.

Maybe it's a psychological thing. I was a little kid during the era represented and have happy memories of that time. Might just be that I don't want them ruined by a show like this. It just makes me uncomfortable.

Well, ignoring the fact that it appears this show just isn't for you, why would you even try to watch season 6 of a show, without first making it through all 5 previous seasons?  This is easily the most dense, complex, difficult show on television.  You can't pick it up near the very end of its run and expect anything other than disappointment.

Again, though, going from your previous posts (I think this is the third time you've pointed out how you have tried and failed to get into the show), I don't think this show is for you (which is perfectly fine--that's why there are other fine shows to watch!).

#97 of 171 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,862 posts

Posted May 20 2013 - 09:45 AM

Mad Men is the smartest show on TV.

This is easily the most dense, complex, difficult show on television. 

I like the show, but I don't know about all that.

#98 of 171 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted May 20 2013 - 10:11 AM

I like the show, but I don't know about all that.

Well, obviously we're totally in the realm of subjectivity.  However, I can't personally think of a show that has as much subtext, symbolism, and thematic elements as Mad Men, nor one that asks as much from the viewer.  I liken the show to a fine piece of literature.

#99 of 171 Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,469 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 20 2013 - 10:13 AM

I don't know about that either...

But, this was an interesting and often fun episode.

I loved the "Clockwork Orange" opening.  I instantly knew we were in for something strange.

Jim Cutler is one whacko dude.  I have no idea how Chough's firm managed to stay afloat with that guy at the reins for so long.

6 Seasons in, and several episodes this season alone, I think I finally get that Don Draper is a damaged psyche with whore/mother issues who looks to fill his empty/broken heart/soul with temporary satisfaction in the form of triumphant creative moments and various trysts...

Just kidding...can I get some clarification again?

Seriously...I'm with Peggy.  Can we move forward?

#100 of 171 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,862 posts

Posted May 20 2013 - 10:33 AM

Well, obviously we're totally in the realm of subjectivity.  However, I can't personally think of a show that has as much subtext, symbolism, and thematic elements as Mad Men, nor one that asks as much from the viewer.  I liken the show to a fine piece of literature.

You should try 'Rectify'.  Puts 'Mad Men' to shame in that regard, IMHO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users