Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 02 2013 - 04:49 AM

Pretty much, that is.

http://www.ubergizmo...mmands-over-50/

Android breaks 50%

IOS falls 3%

Windows Phone rises seemingly all at the expense of Blackberry, which falls below 1%Kantar-World-Chart.jpg

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 10 Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 811 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted April 02 2013 - 05:58 AM

As much as I love Android (been using it since the Droid 1 on launch day), I really have a concern about Samsung's dominance there. They build a great phone, but are becoming a monopoly. Less competition in the space is worse - so I would love to see HTC, Motorola, LG or anyone else really make a resurgence.

#3 of 10 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,495 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 02 2013 - 06:18 AM

How many different Android phone models are out there by how many manufacturers?  How many iPhone models are out there by how many manufacturers?  (I can answer that one...three current models, with three different memory configurations by one manufacturer.)

If any company needed to worry based on those numbers, it would be RIM.

#4 of 10 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,607 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted April 02 2013 - 08:19 AM

Everybody "not Android" is killing themselves.

When I bought my phone, I refused(after rebate) to pay more than $100.

Android was the only phone.

#5 of 10 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,495 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 08:55 AM

As much as I love Android (been using it since the Droid 1 on launch day), I really have a concern about Samsung's dominance there. They build a great phone, but are becoming a monopoly. Less competition in the space is worse - so I would love to see HTC, Motorola, LG or anyone else really make a resurgence.

I'd be fine with other Android makers becoming more competitive.  What I wouldn't be fine with is for them to file an antitrust lawsuit against Samsung.  They just need to make great phones.

#6 of 10 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,607 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted April 02 2013 - 09:03 AM

IF Samsung phones start being made like they make their TV and BD players...the market will fix itself... :rolling-smiley:

By the way, have already had a warranty service on the Samsung dryer I bought over the summer. One of the drum bearings shrapneled itself. I was impressed that the service guy, when I called, said...

"Yeah, we keep those on the truck."

Edited by schan1269, April 02 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#7 of 10 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,623 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted April 02 2013 - 08:11 PM

http://goodscreens.c...ket-share-2010/

Anyone have market share data for the past 10 years or so? Apple wasn't "winning" just three years ago. I'm curious what the ebb and flow has been.

And what about compared to total phone sales?

#8 of 10 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 03 2013 - 05:07 AM

What is notable in that graph Dave is that RIM from 2010 to today went from 30+% to less than 1%.  However, the COMScore that you cite is very different then the sale #.  I think the COMScore keeps track of how many are actually in use VS the other # which tracks how many are sold in a quarter/month (new activations)

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#9 of 10 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,623 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted April 03 2013 - 04:05 PM

RIM and MS mobile sales / profits/ market have been destroyed. And before that Palm.

Apple has taken most most of the profits. Samsung the rest. And Google is now Samsung's software development house, in effect.

I was googling as I was falling asleep :) so I wasn't careful about market share vs sales share.

I'd still be interested in seeing metrics over the past decade or so.

#10 of 10 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,436 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 07 2013 - 06:54 AM

I've owned a Motorola Droid Razr for about 1.5 years now, and it's been a very good phone. Motorola has also provided two major OS upgrades since I bought the phone, from gingerbread to ice cream sandwich, then to jelly bean. Samsung may be the Android leader, but I have no complaints about Motorola.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users