What's new

Super funky room shape for 5.1 surround. (1 Viewer)

jordansinthesky

Auditioning
Real Name
jordan
So I have a relatively cheap in the box 5.1 surround sound system that was thrown in with the purchase of a TV. The surround system is an LG DH4220S http://www.lg.com/uk/home-entertainment/lg-DH4220S-home-cinema-system. I am trying to decide if it's even worth putting the dang things up because the rear speakers are going to be in a bad place as well as a pain to mount due to the fact that I live in a high rise and the walls are cinder block, there is no molding or carpet or anything else to hide the wires that will need to cross the room. Here's a picture of the space I'm dealing with. It's small (and messy because I just moved in)
7464c09b_photo1.jpeg
The room is basically a long rectangle with the the T.V. and couches at one end facing each other on the long sides of the rectangle and the short/right side of the rectangle directly to the right of the viewer. The couch is against the back wall as well as 1 foot away from a side wall on the right. The tv. is against the opposite wall and about 2 feet away from the same wall as the couch on the viewer's right hand side. Soooo the rear surround speakers will need to go above the viewers either on the wall or on the ceiling. To the side doesn't work because while there is a wall to the right there isn't one to the left, so one would be wall mounted to the side and the other wall mounted behind. Honestly I'm leaning towards putting the system in the lobby with a FREE sign on it because I don't know that all this will be worth it. Any help with my crappy description will be greatly appreciated.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Let the wires be free I would put the rear speakers on little tables as close to "the right spot" as you can. I even have one of mine sitting on the floor (not the greatest sound but better than naught) Those rears are typically used for brief moments or to fill in background noise so they aren't as crucial. If you had $2000 rear speakers then yes sweat the details but if you don't I would just try to make it as close as you can... Then and this next step is crucial to have the best experience... Grab your favorite movie, your favorite person/pet. make a big bowl of buttery popcorn (your diet doesn't need to know) and enjoy.

jordansinthesky

Auditioning
Real Name
jordan
Thanks guys. The floor is tile, so no hiding under carpet. I think I'll just tape along the floor under the door and either put the speakers on the floor or on a small table if I can find one that will fit.

Creativesound

Auditioning
Real Name
Creative Sound
Definitely tape it down, I am guessing you are renting so you wont be there forever? Definitely don't give the speakers away though! Another option too is re arranging the room. I can't tell how long the room is from the picture, or if there is a wall behind where you were standing to take the picture but it might be worth moving things around and seeing where else your couches can fit. It looks as if you can maybe place the one couch in front of the sliding door but far enough away were it is accessible still. This may make placing your speakers easier. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks