What's new

RF Cable with some local HD channels - attempting to connect to HD projector (1 Viewer)

jedi4432

Auditioning
Real Name
Luke
Hi All, I have an HD Sanyo projector with the regular inputs (composite, component, S-Video, HDMI, etc). I don't want to subscribe to cable because I don't watch TV very much, but I do watch sports on occasion - mostly football and UFC fights. I know that I can connect the RF cable to an old VCR and get some really low picture quality on my projector, but I feel that defeats the purpose of my HD projector. I was wondering if there was something I could use to decode the RF cable's regular and HD channels into an HD output that would connect to my projector (preferably HDMI, but component would be OK too.) Thanks for your help, everyone!

jedi4432

Auditioning
Real Name
Luke
Thanks for the welcome. Guys, I can't seem to find a happy price point here. I find them at a really scary (from China) low cost of $60, and then I find others for $1100!!! My search keywords are hdtv tuner rf hdmi. Anyone know a good brand? An average price I should pay for what I'm looking for?

jedi4432

Auditioning
Real Name
Luke
Is this what we're talking about here? http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phd205LEmain.htm

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes, although the 100 or "normal" 205 works as well. You don't have to have HDMI. You can use the DVI-HDMI. Depends how you are connecting this. The tuner straight to the projector...or is there an AVR?

jedi4432

Auditioning
Real Name
Luke
Yeah, but it looks like the 205LE is the cheapest of the 3 that does what I'm looking for. I'm just using HDMI because I already have a 25 ft HDMI cable ready for my PS3. No AVR - just going to connect it to the projector and do optical out. Thanks for all the help. Should get me going.

jedi4432

Auditioning
Real Name
Luke
For sound. The projector doesn't have sound input or output, so I'll use the tuner's Toslink optical out for sound - same setup for my PS3.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
jedi4432 said:
For sound. The projector doesn't have sound input or output, so I'll use the tuner's Toslink optical out for sound - same setup for my PS3.
Right, but you can't just duct tape the toslink cable to a bunch of speaker wire... Into what device are the optical cables from the tuner and your PS3 connected?

jedi4432

Auditioning
Real Name
Luke
Sorry I didn't mention this - Forum Noob. I have a optical input soundbar already for home theater system. Otherwise, I'd have no sound when I play PS3 games or watch Blu-ray discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks