What's new

Epson Vs BenQ (1 Viewer)

ralphPerez

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guy's, just wondering which company is better as far as reputation on front projectors assuming that every item in the projector is the same, the BenQ or Epson????

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Both are mainstream reputations. In my mind I associate Epson with more business oriented projectors and BenQ with home theater projectors. But then Ive never studied either manufacture and for all I know both manufactures make equivalent models. If all things seem equal between two given projectors then I would hit the reviews hard and study up on them as best I could and look for things to break the tie. List your model numbers under consideration and maybe someone has personal experience.

ralphPerez

Stunt Coordinator
Benq W1070 vs Epson 33020, one is DlP the other lcd, I know that Gregg stated that Epson hold the market at 60%, he good had been joking????? The PJ are not identical was wondering on reputationn on the company.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Epson is known for GREAT customer service and warranty service. But it still comes down to which projector will work in your room, and the price.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I know that Gregg stated that Epson hold the market at 60%
The above is correct and holds true for the Home Theater AND Custom installation markets.

ralphPerez

Stunt Coordinator
Gregg, thanks for the reply had a chance to see the Epson 3020 and had the screen door affect that blew my mind away, now thinking it over if should switch to another company, etc. Where you also at the old Home theater Spot forum??????

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
yes, I used to be at the Spot too. LCDs always have the most pixel fill, this is what can be observed as screen door effect. If you are sitting too close (or the image is too large) then you will see this. Just defocus the projector (ever so slightly). DLPs have the medium amount of pixel fill. Images tend to look a tad bit sharper because of this. LCOS / DILA PJs have the smallest amount of pixel fill. These images tend to look softer / more film like. The above is not related to brand but rather technology.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Ralph - it's best to see the projector yourself and see if it grabs you. I personally like both DLP and LCOS pictures - though DLP is slightly more of a personal preference. Do you have a local store where you can see the BenQ in action?

ralphPerez

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, see my posting # 7 seen it in action the picture was great but the screen door effect was noticed yet have a Snayo LCD currently 1980P and no screen door, go figure.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
(most likely related to 1 of 2 things): 1. one of the PJs was focused better 2. one of the PJs had better quality optics.

ralphPerez

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, most people that have talked to outside of forums are under the impression that 3D will ruin your eyes eventually, even my wife stated that she read it also in a newspaper so I asked my daughters boyfriend a Optometrist. and he never has heard that nor seen it.. Thinking of looking at the BenQ W1070 then the rainbow effect and perhaps light leakage and fan noise but no one around town carries it for me to actually see it in action.,

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
it is always a challenge when trying to demo PJs. Not many stores carry them (or at least not in a demo room). Especially when looking at the lower end / budget units. Good luck!!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I have not heard anyone complain of SDE with a LCD projector since 1080p came out. You were sitting too close/screen was too large, or you were watching some TERRIBLE source.

ralphPerez

Stunt Coordinator
Jim Mcc said:
I have not heard anyone complain of SDE with a LCD projector since 1080p came out. You were sitting too close/screen was too large, or you were watching some TERRIBLE source.
If I recall the screen was a 110" and was sitting about 10-11' away and the picture was the 3 D Harry Potter.and the room was dark

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I have not heard anyone complain of SDE with a LCD projector since 1080p came out. You were sitting too close/screen was too large, or you were watching some TERRIBLE source
I see SDE all the time on 1080p units. It has nothing to do with the source or source material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks