What's new

HD tv - coax cable from directv hd receiver to HD tv (1 Viewer)

spike8

Auditioning
Real Name
Denny
I have a directv hd receiver set up in living room with hdmi cable to tv. I have also ran a 75 coax from back of the directv receiver to a room about 40' away. I know both tv's will be on the same directv channel. That's OK. I am trying to convert the 75 coax to an hdmi type connection to the tv. When I try to run the coax directly to the tv I am not getting a good picture (says 480) at all. I am assuming I need some type of converter to go from 75 coax in to hdmi connection out. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by spike8
I am assuming I need some type of converter to go from 75 coax in to hdmi connection out.
That's what the DirecTV box does...
My understanding is that the coaxial (f-type, screw on connector) output from HD set top boxes is limited to SD (480p). Only HDMI and component outputs (maybe DVI if STBs still have them) can be used for HD.
An HDMI splitter is the simplest option, but that would mean running/hiding a long HDMI cable.
There are some wireless HDMI solutions (one of which was recently reviewed here at HTF) - that would be another option, but as you can see, it's pricey.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is always this... http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-ft-RCA-Component-Cable/dp/B00546SNOU/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359669426&sr=1-5&keywords=40%27+component+cable The only thing you lose is 1080P PPV...Your PPV will be 1080I or 720P.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Same thing for even less... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sewell-3-RCA-RGB-Component-Cable-40-ft-/140573408569?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item20bad3fd39

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks