Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HD tv - coax cable from directv hd receiver to HD tv

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 spike8

spike8

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 05:57 AM

I have a directv hd receiver set up in living room with hdmi cable to tv. I have also ran a 75 coax from back of the directv receiver to a room about 40' away. I know both tv's will be on the same directv channel. That's OK. I am trying to convert the 75 coax to an hdmi type connection to the tv. When I try to run the coax directly to the tv I am not getting a good picture (says 480) at all. I am assuming I need some type of converter to go from 75 coax in to hdmi connection out. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 of 5 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,803 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted January 31 2013 - 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by spike8 

I am assuming I need some type of converter to go from 75 coax in to hdmi connection out.

That's what the DirecTV box does...

My understanding is that the coaxial (f-type, screw on connector) output from HD set top boxes is limited to SD (480p).  Only HDMI and component outputs (maybe DVI if STBs still have them) can be used for HD.

An HDMI splitter is the simplest option, but that would mean running/hiding a long HDMI cable.

There are some wireless HDMI solutions (one of which was recently reviewed here at HTF) - that would be another option, but as you can see, it's pricey.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 5 spike8

spike8

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 31 2013 - 08:54 AM

That's what I was afraid of - thanks.

#4 of 5 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,904 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 31 2013 - 08:59 AM

There is always this... http://www.amazon.co...component cable The only thing you lose is 1080P PPV...Your PPV will be 1080I or 720P.

#5 of 5 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,904 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 31 2013 - 09:00 AM

Same thing for even less... http://www.ebay.com/...=item20bad3fd39

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users