What's new

Use HDMI & Component? (1 Viewer)

ibmdos

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
I have a new Sony home theater package and am waiting for my Sony 50" SXRD TV to be delivered. I am confused over HDMI (or rather HDCP).

My Receiver has most all the connections I think I need for HD video and 5.1 audio, and the non-HD DVD player has the usual connections plus coax audio and HDMI. The manual seems to indicate that I can connect, say for the TV as a monitor, the HDMI, the component video, and digital or analog audio - all at the same time. I can apparently select either auto code detect or manually select which input (but not from the remote - bummer).

If this is possible, should I connect both HDMI and component video to the TV and DVD (and DirecTV HD DVR when that is installed)? I read someplace that if I use HDMI from the Satellite box to the Receiver, then I must use HDMI to the TV. I also read somewhere that HDCP screws up sometimes and a workaround is all component or composite connections. Is any of this true and should I double up on cables for both digital and analog? Am I worrying too much about minor issues?

The manual was useless in clarifying this and my online chat with Sony tech was even less revealing. Perhaps Sony doesn't like to talk about HDCP or how they've botched its implementation. Perhaps more likely is that Sony tech support is an inside joke.
Robert

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, you are overthinking it. You don't need to connect both the component and HDMI to the TV, period - try out the HDMI and if it works, then you are done. If it doesn't work, then you will be using component and again, you are all done. HDCP shouldn't be an issue for an SD DVD player, though depending on the receiver it could be a problem for the audio based on the HDMI version it and the DVR box have.

ibmdos

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Good point on the HDMI versions - another thing to worry about. Do you know if it is true that if use HDMI sat box to rcvr, then I have to use HDMI rcvr to TV?

The latest DirecTV DVR receiver has HDMI and analog video outputs as well as optical and analog audio. So I should be able to find some combination that works. I never had a problem copying from my SD TIVO to VCR, but I've never tried copying from PPV. If all I want to do is watch HD TV from the sat box (including recorded items), I would hope I should run into no problems.
Robert

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Does your dvd player upconvert to 1080 via hdmi and/or component? If so, use the connection that allows you to upconvert to the higher resolution assuming it works when all is said and done.

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I also have the Sony HT-7000DH system. My current set-up, which works just fine, is as follows:

Motorola DCT6412 III >> HDMI >> AVR (HDMI VIDEO 2 IN)
Motorola DCT6412 III >> Digital Audio Optical >> AVR (DIGITAL OPTICAL VIDEO 2 IN)
DVP-NC85H >> HDMI >> AVR (HDMI DVD IN)
DVP-NC85H >> Digital Audio Coax >> AVR (DIGITAL DVD IN COAXIAL)
AVR (MONITOR OUT) >> HDMI >> Samsung HL-S5086W (HDMI 1)

P.S. Upconverting is only done via HDMI

ibmdos

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
The specs say the rcvr upconverts but I can find nothing about any conversion in the manual. So far, I've only tested one movie DVD video ROM and one XBOX (not 360). HDMI with coax audio from the DVD player and HDMI with no extra audio cable seems to work fine for both video and the various audio settings including auto. XBOX worked ok with audio from the rcvr system and composite video to the TV.

I am buying an XBOX 360 and the HD player in a couple of days and will have to use component hookup. So there is another test coming.

I would have tested more but have been installing surround speaker cables with wires in the walls and wall outlets and that has taken some time.

I think Garcia was on target when he agreed that I was over-thinking this. I've had a non-HD 5.1 system for a few years but never really studied the codecs, format, etc outside of my computer realm. Now I am finding I don't really understand Dolby, conversion, and a host of other technical issues. I would be so nice if Sony manuals would give a little technical explanation (or any manufacturer for that matter).
Bob

ibmdos

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
I seems I've set up my DVD, TV, and AVR the same as you. Mine seems to work. If upconverting occurs only with HDMI, are there AVR settings I need to set of AUTO or similar? I couldn't find such a setting or I just didn't understand.

Also, if upconverting occurs only with HDMI, does that mean that it won't work with compositive input to the AVR and HDMI out to monitor? The XBox 360 claims auto conversion (or did some time ago before actual release of the systems) but the best output is component (no HDMI or DTS).
Bob

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
That's correct. This AVR, unlike some pricier ones, doesn't digitize analog inputs (composite, s-video, component) so that they can be output on the HDMI cable.

ibmdos

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the good info. Another question since you seem to have the manual for HT-7000. Pages 48 and 49 have a title of "Enjoying Dolby Digital and DTS Surround sound," yet under AFD mode only Auto and Pro Logic modes are discussed. Pro Logic is analog. Where does Dolby Digital come into the picture? Via AFD Auto? I assume this Receiver handles digital audio since the manual says so and since I have digital audio connections in and out.

If I select Pro Logic or PLII am I bypassing the digital audio? Also, what are the "sound fields" under the MUSIC and MOVIE? There was a time when such selections enhanced (as perceived by the manufacturer) Pro Logic. Do they affect digital audio?
Thanks again,
Bob

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I don't use these preprogrammed sound fields but I think they override the digital audio

ibmdos

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert

I had already set the AFD to auto but it's nice to get confirmation that it was correct.

On the pre-programmed sound fields - I don't see a selection to set them off, unless punching AFD overrides the MOVIE button.
Robert

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
That's how it worked on other AVRs I owned so I'm pretty sure that's the case here as well. The whole issue just highlights how user unfriendly the manual is. It provides the bare bones "how" but gives not one iota of information on the "why" to help the owner get a better understanding of what's going on.

ibmdos

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
David, manuals occupy a lot of my gripe space, too. I used to tell my kids to read the manual first. After decades in computers I now gripe if I really have to read a software manual. How nice it would be if other electronics didn't need manuals. One would also think that the better brands would have the better manuals - not so, I guess.

You noted the lack of explanation in Sony's manual (true for the Receiver and for the DVD player, but my Sony TV has an almost decent manual). There is also the problem of trying to find something in those pages. The table of contents titles seem carefully chosen to give no hint about the real contents of each section. The index is so minimal that even the most important steps, terms, or concepts are left out. While watching TV (on our old set) over a couple of nights, I created my own master index covering the TV, Receiver, and DVD player using Excel on my laptop. I'll add the DirecTV DVR receiver to that index after I get it installed. This way when I want to find something, say changing brightness, I can now go to that topic for each unit and decide which one to change (hopefully always the receiver).

Be happy to post that index when it's completed. If anyone is interested, I can tailor the index to include any combination of the DVP-NC85H DVD player, HT-7000DH receiver, KDS-50A2000 TV, and the DirecTV HD DVR receiver.
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks