What's new

Samsung 6100 vs 6500 Series (1 Viewer)

Fastfwd

Agent
Real Name
Jason Garrett
Ok, new question – I see some pretty positive review of the 6100 which is not ‘backlit’ from what I gather, but rather ‘edgelit.’ I see you guys here and other sites praising ‘backlit’ though. I believe the 6500 is ‘backlit’ but it doesn’t have the microdimming of the upper level models. So, I already have the 6100, but the 6500 is only $100 more right now – is it worth the hassle? It also has 3D which really isn’t a biggie for me, but it’s a feature the other doesn’t have. Any opinions?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I will never buy an LCD if there is a plasma the same size... However, in the sizes I "have no choice" I avoid "edge-lit" like the plague.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
In order (best to worst) 1-Plasma 2-fulll array backlit with local dimming led/lcd 3-ccfl backlit lcd 4-backlit led/lcd without local dimming 5-edge lit led. BTW, the "micro-dimming" on Samsungs with the feature isn't dimming any leds at all, it's marketing hype for a trick that modifies the incoming signal's black information. They make it sound like true local dimming but it's not, just more deceptive hype from the masters of hype at Samsung.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
"just more deceptive hype from the masters of hype at Samsung." And the creators of the grief of "Hey all I just bought an LED TV...I want to make it look its best"...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Want to hear the real "operational mindcrime" when it comes to Samsung? BB "salesclerks" are instructed to not call Samsung an LCD. I have actually heard a "salesclerk" say... "Samsung LED is better cause everybody else is still using LCD panels". I walked up to the guy, said a few choice words...took over the sale and they ended up walking out with an LG THX plasma.

Fastfwd

Agent
Real Name
Jason Garrett
Steve Schaffer said:
In order (best to worst) 1-Plasma 2-fulll array backlit with local dimming led/lcd 3-ccfl backlit lcd 4-backlit led/lcd without local dimming 5-edge lit led. BTW, the "micro-dimming" on Samsungs with the feature isn't dimming any leds at all, it's marketing hype for a trick that modifies the incoming signal's black information. They make it sound like true local dimming but it's not, just more deceptive hype from the masters of hype at Samsung.
What is an example of a “ccfl backlit lcd” on the current market? I know you guys praise plasma and are probably correct, but why are sites like Cnet calling backlit led a game changer vs. plasma? Is it only a very top tier few models that pull it off? I’m referencing over at this site btw – that claims the new set I have even as being pretty decent: http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-un46es6100.html

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cnet is the absolute worst place to get a review. They have fired reviewers for giving bad reviews. You can still find relatively new stories about their latest(it was a few years ago) "big" firing. Just Google Cnet reviewer fired LCD win two categories against plasma. Weight Electrical use They lose(by a wider margin than their two "wins") Contrast Motion Control Color Saturation Viewing angle Why are LCD "pushed"? Cause they make more money.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Tell you how bad CNet is... One year they did a review of anti-virus software. Every single anti-virus maker(Kasperky, AVG, Norton...and when you get all three of them..."on the same page"...) signed a form letter that went into every single "other" review magazine and website saying "CNet was unprofessional in their test".

Fastfwd

Agent
Real Name
Jason Garrett
I can tell my new LED Flatpanel is on the flimsy side compared to my old set for sure. I don’t doubt that they are a cheaper product to produce and more profitable. Unfortunately, I think I’m sticking with an LED and I might be making a bad decision. I do care about picture, but I’m just not sure I’m willing to babysit a plasma like it might need and I leave my television on a lot for no good reason. I would hate for something to get stuck not on a screen saver and burn in, etc. I often fall asleep with it on or leave it on all night on purpose. If I have a more dedicated set for viewing critically at some point I may consider plasmas.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
LED(because of Samsung and Vizio) became the catchphrase for LED-lit LCD. Samsung and Vizio are trying to con people into thinking the sets are "the next thing" to upcoming OLED. They aren't. Not even close. OLED display has more in common with plasma(as in "how the picture is created"). Eventually OLED(or Organic OLED) will kill off both LCD and plasma.

Fastfwd

Agent
Real Name
Jason Garrett
It wasn’t Cnet btw – it was PC Magazine that I was referencing. I’m really torn now at what to believe: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387377,00.asp

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You wrote... "Cnet calling LED backlit a gamechanger" I know the review was from PC Mag. PC Mag reviewing for Home Theater is like Car and Driver reviewing a John Deere tractor.

Fastfwd

Agent
Real Name
Jason Garrett
Yeah, I cited the wrong website I guess. What would you consider to be a ‘reputable’ website to reference? I mean, they clearly state that plasma rules for budget screens on that site even. I just don’t know. If I went with a plasma for around $1k what would be the best out there? Panasonic?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Panasonic and LG are "rock, paper, scissors". Samsung(I've had issue with "Samsung" for ages...in my opinion. They make crap...with a bow on it. I still bought a Samsung HE front load washer/dryer...as it was the only set "not" to have steam dry and all the other stuff I cared not for) is best avoided. My main concern over Samsung is they still haven't corrected their capacitor problem. Yes they settled a multi-Million dollar class action. But, their source for the "bad capacitors" is the same one they use today. It would cost them about 12 cents, per tv, to solve the problem. When I upgrade my phone next month...I know how good the S3 and Note 2 are supposed to be...I'm still buying something else. As far as home theater reviews... Sound and Vision(have to wade through the "sumo class expensive" to get to a relevant to you review...but worth the read) Hometheaterreview.com Hometheater.com For starters.

Fastfwd

Agent
Real Name
Jason Garrett
I have to share this: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P50ST50 ‘Editor’s Choice CNet’ LOL Ok, so – what’s the verdict on this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-+VIERA+-+50%22+Class+(49-9/10%22+Diag.)+-+Plasma+-+1080p+-+600Hz+-+Smart+-+3D+-+HDTV/5315331.p?id=1218635272637&skuId=5315331

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Without getting into the "gee-whiz" of the GT and VT, the ST is tough to beat. You'd practically have to have all three sitting in your living room to know what you are missing... But the ST50 is better than every, EVERY, LCD CCFL, LED edge-lit or LED back-lit, regardless of any backlight dimming the LCD has.

Fastfwd

Agent
Real Name
Jason Garrett
schan1269 said:
Without getting into the "gee-whiz" of the GT and VT, the ST is tough to beat. You'd practically have to have all three sitting in your living room to know what you are missing... But the ST50 is better than every, EVERY, LCD CCFL, LED edge-lit or LED back-lit, regardless of any backlight dimming the LCD has.
Ok, I’m holding you personally responsible for steering me off the Samsungs and that may be a good thing or bad thing LOL. Seriously, I see that Oklahoma County is where the Class Action suite was filed against Samsung over the capacitor ordeal and I’m living in Oklahoma City – I never heard of it. I bet my old set was a part of that group and this new one might not be effected. At any rate, I’ve been tinkering with the ‘smart features’ on the new Samsung. They have a super slick interface and plentiful apps, etc. but the execution of them has been a little pokey. I can see why they have the dual processor models for that matter. I select something and it sits there trying to get it together for a few seconds and then it might jump to it or not. Downloads of the apps have been really hit and miss too. Not sure if any of that is my network or the set, but streaming has been impacted from Vudu too. I’ve come to the decision that despite how slick it is that I already have my Netgear Pro device with WiDi and no matter how bad the Panasonic might be (I bought the wifi adapter for my Panny Bluray Player and the smart features on it SUCK! I wish I had my $80 or whatever back) – anyway, I can always buy a *newer* device and as long as the television has some connectivity it will likely provide the most basic functionality that I might enjoy for that matter. On that note; I am doing this with a prize being placed on picture quality or the hopes that it will be improved. I’m not completely familiar with all of this, but somewhat familiar with calibration generally. I see that my Samsung has the 10 point White Balance vs. the Panny having only 2 Point White Balance. I’m guessing that the hardware itself is going to be so far superior that will more than make up for it? http://reviews.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/panasonic-plasma-tv/panasonic-st50-picturesettings http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-es6100-picturesettings.html I have to say that I setup my Samsung to the settings dictated on that site and watched a Bluray last night and it was BEAUTIFUL! I can imagine it might be that much richer with plasma or even with backlit, but it looked pretty awesome. Television viewing; despite being set exactly the same is not quite as impressive. I also noted seeing an ISP LED/LCD from Panasonic at Sam’s last night that looked pretty fantastic. I’m a computer guy and familiar with ‘IPS’ being a different animal of LCD in terms of quality. I wasn’t aware that was an option on television sets though. I’m looking at IPS for a replacement of my computer monitor next time I upgrade it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yep, IPS is the "LCD you want". Even in Samsung, you don't know which panel you get till you decipher the model code. My oldest plasma is a Hitachi P50X901. When people see it, they are amazed...and Cnet gave it a lousy review... I will admit, Cnet's major issue with the set was cost. I sold this stuff wholesale, and I bought it "at cost". The company I worked for(till a bit over 2 years ago) allowed "2 buys" a year at pure cost from the manufacturer. That is less than the price HH Gregg or BB employees can get...cause we were the suppiers of everything Hitachi. We also sold(of course they still do) LG, Panny Professional, Pio/Elite, Onkyo, Haier, Toshiba, Chief and bunches of other stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks