-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix's House of Cards Season 1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,442 posts

Posted January 26 2013 - 12:06 PM

Feb 1st Netflix will release all episodes of House of Cards of season 1. Production of season 2 will start shooting in the spring. With Netflix releasing all season 1 episodes at the same time, there can be some good marathon watching.

all-banner.jpg

#2 of 28 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted February 01 2013 - 01:35 PM

This is fantastic. I've just burned 3 hours on first few episodes. Spacey is great in this

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 28 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,442 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 02:14 PM

I'm going to start watching this on Wednesday. I'm hoping to get a bunch of episodes in this day. They say the first episode is available to everyone. (just find who has it available)

all-banner.jpg

#4 of 28 Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted February 01 2013 - 02:44 PM

I've only gotten a chance to watch the first two so far, but I have to agree with mattCR's sentiments at this point.

#5 of 28 Hakan Powers

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator

• 247 posts

Posted February 02 2013 - 05:18 AM

Just finished Season 1.. and I must say I really enjoyed it. Kevin Spacey is great (the rest of the cast is also good but he shines) A little bit of The West Wing political intrigue but with a *much* darker tone. I like it. Looking forward to season 2, anyone know when that'll be around?
My movies
The Price of freedom is eternal vigilance - Thomas Jefferson

#6 of 28 PODER

PODER

Stunt Coordinator

• 244 posts

Posted February 02 2013 - 07:51 AM

Is there any word on when the new HOUSE OF CARDS will be released on DVD or Blu-Ray? Make that when or if ...

#7 of 28 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted February 02 2013 - 08:59 AM

SOB what an ending.

To my knowledge, I don't think there will ever be a DVD or BD issued.  I think Netflix has designed this as a streaming exclusive to market their brand.  I'd be shocked if they ever came out with to own copies.

I have no idea where next season could/will go.. it's definitely a way to end a season with a TON of open threads and some significant cliffhanger(s)

trakt.tv

#8 of 28 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by mattCR 

To my knowledge, I don't think there will ever be a DVD or BD issued.  I think Netflix has designed this as a streaming exclusive to market their brand.  I'd be shocked if they ever came out with to own copies.

I'm curious how they go about this, especially since they're adding more and more shows to their lineup.  While it would make sense to keep it exclusive to reel in subscribers, there may be some profitability down the road to make it available by other means.  Perhaps not a physical disc (those will be obsolete eventually anyway), but allow people to purchase a download of just the episodes they want.  Or some type of a la carte streaming.  If you think about it, it wouldn't be all that different from HBO making their shows available on disc at a later date (though it seems HBO produces their own media).

#9 of 28 Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 02:30 AM

I'm curious how they go about this, especially since they're adding more and more shows to their lineup.  While it would make sense to keep it exclusive to reel in subscribers, there may be some profitability down the road to make it available by other means.  Perhaps not a physical disc (those will be obsolete eventually anyway), but allow people to purchase a download of just the episodes they want.  Or some type of a la carte streaming.  If you think about it, it wouldn't be all that different from HBO making their shows available on disc at a later date (though it seems HBO produces their own media).

I don't think it'll ever be available for purchase, but maybe they'll have an extremely limited run put out for their own customers who still use the disc-based service and don't have good enough internet yet to get it via streaming.

#10 of 28 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 02:42 AM

I still haven't started watching this...I planned to, but someone just told me that Kevin Spacey talks to the audience on occasion.  UGH!  That is enough for me to not want to watch it.  The person who told me only saw the first two episodes, so please tell me it stops after that!

#11 of 28 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by ScottH 

I still haven't started watching this...I planned to, but someone just told me that Kevin Spacey talks to the audience on occasion.  UGH!  That is enough for me to not want to watch it.  The person who told me only saw the first two episodes, so please tell me it stops after that!

No.  Actually, it's probably the best parts.   YMMV, but the way it's done works.  I've seen it done where it's terrible, but in this show it really moves things along, it would be hard to understand without

trakt.tv

#12 of 28 Joe_H

Joe_H

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 04:29 AM

YMMV, but the way it's done works.  I've seen it done where it's terrible, but in this show it really moves things along, it would be hard to understand without

Agreed. I think it's Spacey himself that carries those scenes so well, too. He pulls off the switch from mid-conversation to snide remarks with the audience perfectly, and I'm not sure a lesser actor could have done it nearly as well.

#13 of 28 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 05:00 AM

Thanks guys.  I guess I'll still give it a try but it definitely went from "must see" for me to "eventually I'll catch it".

#14 of 28 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,470 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by ScottH 

Thanks guys.  I guess I'll still give it a try but it definitely went from "must see" for me to "eventually I'll catch it".

I think you should watch the first episode to see how this is used.  I watched the first one last night and really enjoyed it.  Looking forward to watching the rest.

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#15 of 28 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted February 05 2013 - 12:10 PM

I'd agree with that.  While it talks to the camera, it's not really talking to -you- as much as it is a character espousing his inner monologue.. it's unique.  I think in a lesser actors hands it could have been bad, but Damn Spacey sells it, and there are scenes later in the season, especially in the oval office, where you are just WAITING to get his take on what's really happening

trakt.tv

#16 of 28 Brian-A

Brian-A

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted February 06 2013 - 05:41 PM

Agreed. I think it's Spacey himself that carries those scenes so well, too. He pulls off the switch from mid-conversation to snide remarks with the audience perfectly, and I'm not sure a lesser actor could have done it nearly as well.

I love it when he does not even say anything, but rather just gives a sidelong look to the audience, as if we are in on a private joke with him.
  • Scott McGillivray likes this

#17 of 28 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,094 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted February 07 2013 - 12:02 PM

Is it true that the opening scene consists of Spacy
Spoiler

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#18 of 28 Derek Miner

Derek Miner

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 02:27 PM

Is it true that the opening scene consists of Spacy...

Yes, but... [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]It's sort of a mercy killing, but it manipulates a situation as well. It's not shown, it happens right out of the camera's line of sight, implied by sound. Spacey speaks directly to the viewer as it happens, as well.[/SPOILER] I thought it was a strange choice to start off the show and it did feel a little tonally mismatched from the rest of the episode.
= Derek Miner =
Co-founder, Sunscreen Film Festival

#19 of 28 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted February 15 2013 - 11:35 AM

I've realized one of the downfalls of this format for this show.  A relative told me that they were watching episode 5 tonight and "it's getting good" and I had to backtrack through it because it's now been a while since I gulped down the whole season.

I guess that is the one benefit of a staggered release, it gives people a lot more time to talk about it.

trakt.tv

#20 of 28 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted February 15 2013 - 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by mattCR 

I've realized one of the downfalls of this format for this show.  A relative told me that they were watching episode 5 tonight and "it's getting good" and I had to backtrack through it because it's now been a while since I gulped down the whole season.

I guess that is the one benefit of a staggered release, it gives people a lot more time to talk about it.

I've thought about that as well and decided that is the ONLY good thing about watching a TV series week to week.  Love me some marathon TV!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users