Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HBO's Game of Thrones: Season 3

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
308 replies to this topic

#81 of 309 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,042 posts

Posted April 16 2013 - 11:42 PM

Hot Pie didn't stay with the BwBs, they left him behind with the Inn keeper as payment.

#82 of 309 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,069 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 17 2013 - 05:11 AM

Regarding Arya's question - Yes, this Inn is where Sandor Clegane (the Hound) killed Mycah, the butcher's boy, when that rotten little bastard Joffrey lied.

- Walter.

And as I read somewhere else this gives you insight into the two characters.  For Arya it was a life defining event.  For the hound it was just another forgettable day, just another person he killed....

Thanks for the heads up on the symbolism in the White Walker killings.  That is something wholly new for the TV show and it must have some significance but I have no idea what it could be.  It can't just be fluff, right?

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#83 of 309 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,268 posts

Posted April 17 2013 - 07:33 AM

Hot Pie didn't stay with the BwBs, they left him behind with the Inn keeper as payment.

Thank you!  That actually clears up some confusion I had.  Arya asks if she can leave any time she wants, and the very next thing she does is get up and walk away.  I thought she was following through and leaving them, so was a bit confused when she rode off with all of them.  I still kind of thought she was leaving and the BwB was staying; Hot Pie with them.

On a side note, I absolutely loved the start of the small council scene.  I really want a clip or gif or something of Tyrion dragging and sitting in the chair.

Side Side note, where the hell is JoshEH?

-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#84 of 309 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted April 17 2013 - 08:45 AM

The horse heads arranged by the White Walkers are a mandala that is going to eventually assist them in finding Earth.  (Sorry, I've been re-watching Battlestar Galactica (2004) :) )

I could have sworn that it was Hot Pie's decision to stay at the Inn, but I guess that could be payment (in a way.)  A minor point to be sure.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#85 of 309 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 17 2013 - 08:52 AM

Side Side note, where the hell is JoshEH?

He's been MIA in the thread for the current season of Community too.

Edited by TravisR, April 17 2013 - 08:53 AM.

#86 of 309 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,512 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 17 2013 - 10:09 AM

He's been MIA in the thread for the current season of Community too.

I don't think he's even re-logged post HTF conversion.  Hope he's ok.  His wit is missed.

#87 of 309 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,537 posts

Posted April 19 2013 - 03:21 PM

The payoff to Dany's purchase is frankly pretty awesome, and one of the better moments in the books if I remember correctly.

I read that part of the book recently, and it's the best moment out of everything I've read so far (I'm 1/3 through book 3).  It's the kind of thing to make one pump one's fist.  I can hardly wait to see it on screen.

#88 of 309 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted April 19 2013 - 04:00 PM

The book version of the Bloody Mummers are a group of sell swords initially working for the Lannisters. The TV version has changed it to a group of Roose Bolton's men. I don't think they have a name on the show.

#89 of 309 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,790 posts

Posted April 21 2013 - 07:31 PM

The final act at Astapor certainly delivered the payoff we've been expecting. Very cinematic close to the episode. (The final shot of the episode needs to be my new desktop wallpaper.)

Daenerys looked incredibly regal on horseback.

- Walter.

Edited by Walter Kittel, April 21 2013 - 07:33 PM.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#90 of 309 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,389 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted April 21 2013 - 07:57 PM

Yeah, I was thinking after that scene that the final player in this game of thrones has moved onto the board. They sort of teased her speaking Valyrian when she responded to Missandei's "valar morghulis" at the end of last episode, but it seemed like a common enough expression to leave ambiguity.

Man, we're on episode four, and things are already as heightened as episode 9 or so of the previous seasons.

Favorite line of the episode: "What happens when the non-existent bumps against the decrepit?"
  • Mark Walker likes this

#91 of 309 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted April 21 2013 - 08:29 PM

Great episode.  Everything that was adapted was adapted perfectly, and all the new content was really strong, too.

The brief exchange about Pod's sexual prowess was hilarious.

Edited by Josh Dial, April 21 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#92 of 309 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,333 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted April 22 2013 - 07:58 AM

Dany and the Unsullied - wow. 

I am in book 5 now but all I can think about is book 3.  The adapation this season is a master class in truncation and economy -- but the emotion is there in spades.

Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#93 of 309 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,537 posts

Posted April 22 2013 - 09:13 AM

The final act at Astapor certainly delivered the payoff we've been expecting. Very cinematic close to the episode. (The final shot of the episode needs to be my new desktop wallpaper.)

Daenerys looked incredibly regal on horseback.

- Walter.

I had read the "killing the slavemasters scene" only last week, and it was my favorite scene of everything I've read so far. I'm so glad they didn't make us wait to see it. As soon as I saw Dany bringing Drogon in the cart, I said "YES!".  Very well depicted.

#94 of 309 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,512 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 22 2013 - 09:52 AM

Wow.  Surprised to see the payoff to the Unsullied so soon.  But, I'm happy with the timing and with the scene.  Well done!

We're 4 episodes in?  And, the season is only supposed to cover half of Book 3?  They are on a pretty hot pace right now.

Two really fine episodes in a row.

#95 of 309 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,891 posts

Posted April 22 2013 - 12:29 PM

I mainly just watch this show for the dragons now, so this episode didn't disappoint.  :D

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#96 of 309 OFFLINE   Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

• 1,527 posts

Posted April 22 2013 - 12:56 PM

This episode was full of awesomeness.

The payoff at the end of Tyrion's conversation with Varys was terrific.  Watching their exchange a second time while knowing the sorcerer is in the box hearing the entire thing and unable to move is even better than the first time.

Margaery's expressions while she is manipulating Joffrey and building his confidence are excellent.  She does a great job playing the part of the "dumb blonde" while she is controlling things just the way she wants.

Olenna Tyrell (if I got the name right) is also outstanding.  Her conversation in the garden with Varys was excellent.

I wasn't much interested in the revolt at Craster's Keep, but it was decent action and betrayal.

Cersei is getting her comeuppance.  She's losing Joffrey to Margaery and her father doesn't respect her.  Tywin was also very good as usual.

Breanne building up Jaime was forging a relationship between the two that is very believably strong

I even thought they did a great job with Theon.  They got the information that he didn't kill Bran and Rickon by pretending to be an ally, and then it's back to the rack.  Wow.

And Danaerys?  Wow.  Even Jorah and Barristan Selmy were astounded at the type of leader she is.  Their expressions were fantastic.

#97 of 309 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 22 2013 - 01:51 PM

I wasn't much interested in the revolt at Craster's Keep, but it was decent action and betrayal.

As someone who hasn't read the books it's cool to see the initial payoff for generations of neglect of the Night's Watch. Without the "better men" (the third sons of noble family-types) to supplement the from-the-dregs forces on the Wall it was inevitable that the rapists/murderers/thieves would break their oaths with some kind of "last straw" moment.

Sam better hope he finds Jon Snow before anyone else. If he finds random Wildlings they'll likely kill him for being from the Night's Watch. If the rebellious Night's Watch group finds him they'll kill him. And if he finds loyal Night's Watch members they'll likely kill him for seemingly breaking his vows with the girl. Only Snow will likely hear him out!

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#98 of 309 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,268 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 07:54 AM

So what the hell ever happened to Benjin? :D

-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#99 of 309 OFFLINE   Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,460 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 08:31 AM

The last scene at the slaver's market was the greatest scene in the series so far. Everything about it was totally ass-kickingingly awesome. Dani speaking in Valyrian made me giddily light headed, and the the pacing and score made the entire scene... orgasmic. The way the word "dracarys" rolled out of her mouth with that Valyrian accent was one of the most perfect moments in any book adaptation I've ever seen. I've read all the books, and I could not even begin to imagine how amazing it was realized.

I can barely remember the rest of the episode.

#100 of 309 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,351 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 12:45 PM

Yes those scenes were fun to watch but it is hard to swallow that the slavers are dumb enough to leave themselves vulnerable to the very thing Dani did to them though.  

Some sort of fail safe ie - an over riding key phrase -  should have been in place or the slavers should possess the smarts not to make deals without keeping enough slaves to defend themselves.

Edited by Lou Sytsma, April 23 2013 - 12:46 PM.

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users