HBO's Game of Thrones: Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jan 11, 2013.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Yes, I am really looking forward to this season... I have high hopes. I'm hoping they divide book 3 into two years.. otherwise we're going to quickly get through the books that are out there and Martin won't have another.. at this rate, they will be on Dance with Dragons too fast ;)

I'm hoping they split the season, and there is an ideal cliffhanger/season ender here..

End with the Red Wedding... which is my most anticipated moment this season

2. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

It's already been confirmed that book 3 is going to be split over 2 seasons. No word yet on when the spit will happen though.

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
  4. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Review written obviously by someone who has never connected with the books. I grant his right to an opinion, but I get the gut feeling he's not remotely the target audience.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Definitely take the New York Times review with a grain of salt. It panned the first two seasons, as well. The paper's television reviewers mix an ignorance of the fantasy genre with a measure of resentment that the millions spent on this show aren't being spent on "proper" programming like "Mad Men" and "Boardwalk Empire."

On the first season, the New York Times said: "If you are not averse to the Dungeons & Dragons aesthetic, the series might be worth the effort. If you are nearly anyone else, you will hunger for HBO to get back to the business of languages for which we already have a dictionary."

On the second season, the New York Times scratched its head why the show would kill of Ned, the only compelling character, and stated: "The new season of this dense medieval fantasy set in a land called Westeros serves up a whole bunch of wartime posturing, a seemingly endless number of would-be rulers and the usual sex and (sometimes in the same scene) violence. But it sure doesn’t give viewers much to latch onto."

In all three reviews you can sense the sneer behind the writing. On one hand, the reviewers admit to not paying attention to the story and getting lost, on the other hand, it's fantasy so it must be disposable trash.

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

After all the praise that the show has gotten, it's time for people to say "It's not good as it used to be". That train is never late.

And next year, those same people will be the saying how great the first 3 years were and S4 isn't as good.

7. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Feeling a little disgruntled with the impending premiere. :D

8. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Grain of salt?? Based on those snippets, I'd say two massive handfuls is more like it...

Critics, eh?

9. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    My only worry going into this season has to do with my favourite character from the novels, Jaime:

Warning: major book 3 spoiler!

I'm worried Jaime won't have his sword hand cut off by the Brave Companions. He'll have to either have a CGI stump, or his real hand obscured for a lot of scenes, until he reaches King's Landing.Hopefully the show goes through with it, though.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think I only liked the Kahleesi subplot in the opening episode for this season.

11. Josh Dial

Josh Dial
    Strong premiere episode, though it mostly served to catch viewers up and re-set the stage for the coming season. The exchange between Tywin and Tyrion was great, as was the entire Margaery sequence.

As always, the opening credits were great--I especially liked the Harpy at Astapor and the smoke in Winterfell.

12. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Yes good start. So many characters. So little screen time available for each of them. Joffrey staying inside his coach looking at through the slats was hilarious.

13. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Agreed. Gleeson did a great job of making Joffrey seem absolutely clueless about what was going on and what to do about it. He came across as the frightened child to Margery's mature adult. Loved it. Then again, I loved everything about the episode.

14. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Sooooo many characters now. I really hope they trim back on Bran (missing from the premiere, so good sign) and Davos/Stannis (BORING!). My only disappointment in the premiere was no Arya. But, otherwise, nice to be back in Westeros.

15. Josh Dial

Josh Dial
    (No spoilers)

Bran's story becomes immensely interesting in the books--so much so that I had to resist the urge to skip ahead just to read his chapters. However, based on the pacing so far, I wouldn't expect his arc to get to the "good stuff" this season. You'll likely get your wish, and his role will be minor this season.

16. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    He is very underrated as an actor doing Joffrey. He's so good, so effortless at it that you really do hate the guy; you're waiting for the moment where you hear in real life someone goes "what a jerk" to him in public. I said the same thing about the actor who did Draco Malfoy in the Potter series.. those are roles that could have went really wrong, but the actors just grabbed on and worked with it

17. Adam Lenhardt

The first hour was basically devoted to establishing where all (well, most) of the characters are now so that the story can begin next week. It really drove home how this show sees itself as one long story rather than induvidual hours.

18. Adam Lenhardt

19. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    The season premiere was very good at setting up the season. The best moments were with Tyrion and Tywin; their conversation was devastating. I can't say I'm thrilled by the sequences with Jon Snow but I do get the sense there are important things coming. The stuff with Joffrey and Margaery was also terrific.

20. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Spoiler contains book events that you don't want to read if you haven't read the book.

Prediction for a deviation from the book in a death:

Something about how cold Tywin was to Tyrion and how wonderful Shae is to him and Sansa makes me think Shae will not abandon Tyrion for Tywin. I'm thinking that Tywin will make good on his promise to kill Shae as the next whore he finds in Tyrion's bed and that will be the impetus for Tyrion killing his father. That is, of course, unless GRRM has something planned in the last two books that somehow require Shae's death and betrayal of Tyrion to be portrayed as they were in the books.