What's new

HBO's Game of Thrones: Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Charlie, regarding your spoiler:

(Book spoilers)

Much of Tyrion's motivation in book 5 comes from Shae's (and betrayal (and Tywin's betrayal, of course). I guess the whole "where do whores go?" thing with Tysha would still work without Shae betraying Tyrion, but I think it works better if Tysha remains the only women who truly loved him.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
mattCR said:
He is very underrated as an actor doing Joffrey. He's so good, so effortless at it that you really do hate the guy; you're waiting for the moment where you hear in real life someone goes "what a jerk" to him in public. I said the same thing about the actor who did Draco Malfoy in the Potter series.. those are roles that could have went really wrong, but the actors just grabbed on and worked with it
He's so good in the role that now when I watch Batman Begins I get upset that Batman saves him....

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
When the credits started to run, I felt a bit like a Monty Python character: :"That wasn't 50 minutes!"

I could not believe it was over.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Josh Dial said:
Charlie, regarding your spoiler:

(Book spoilers)

Much of Tyrion's motivation in book 5 comes from Shae's (and betrayal (and Tywin's betrayal, of course). I guess the whole "where do whores go?" thing with Tysha would still work without Shae betraying Tyrion, but I think it works better if Tysha remains the only women who truly loved him.
Yes, it would definitely change Tyrion from his book character, but I think it would still be credible. I'm just thinking that if it goes as I predicted, it would take the show into a dark area even further than this show has already gone. At least, that was my thought before seeing Bolton's bastard work on Theon! Wow, that was hard to watch. Might have been easier if it wasn't a season break removed from Theon destroying Winterfell.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I enjoyed this episode a lot, though I was surprised by the serious amount of time compression that appears to be taking place with the Arya story--a very important scene will have to be moved around a bit, I think. In any event, it was a good introduction to the Brotherhood without Banners, and I was happy to see Thoros of Myr.

The stuff with the Reeds was likewise done quite well--totally different from the novels, but actually slightly more interesting, in a way. Now Bran's story can really start going.

The episode-sharing of Cat and Theon made me much less sympathetic toward Theon than I was while reading the books. Something about seeing Cat's grief and then Theon's suffering didn't make me feel all that bad for him :)

Everything about Margeary's story was amazing. She is completely playing him, which is a sight to see. We finally get to see the useful side of Sansa!

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Im sure this request has probably been made before but how about a thread for book readers separated out as well as those who have not read the books like myself. I know people want to discuss plot differences between book and film but even when using spoilers people end up discussing it further and some forget or allude to things (case in point above).

As to episode 2, loved Catelyn's story about Snow thought the Stark army does seem to be wandering at the moment. Are they set to do what Daenarys did in Season 2 I wonder :) ?

It also struck me that there are a lot of threads being followed now, more new characters and more similar environments tha n before. Hope no-one tried to join in watching this in Season 3...

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Simon Massey said:
Im sure this request has probably been made before but how about a thread for book readers separated out as well as those who have not read the books like myself. I know people want to discuss plot differences between book and film but even when using spoilers people end up discussing it further and some forget or allude to things (case in point above).
Absolutely nothing in this thread has been a spoiler (that wasn't tagged as such). The book fans have been *very* careful in that regard, in this and previous threads. In fact, there is even a warning on page 1 about spoilers, and a caution against reading anything about this season anywhere on the Internet.

Also, I would note--but as a bit of a jest--that some of this material is fifteens years old now. There's a statute of limitations on some stuff :)

In all seriousness, though, I'll make doubly-sure that my posts contain nothing even approaching spoiler-territory, unless otherwise tagged. I'll be sure to point out anything that is spoiled in another post, too. Nobody wants to see this show wrecked for anyone!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's funny. The first hour was nothing but setup, and felt like it. The second hour was nothing but setup, and it was absolutely riveting. It reminded me of what Frank Herbert wrote in Dune about wheels within wheels.

Was Catelyn's story about Jon Snow in the book? It was a wonderfully written scene, and shows her to be as much a victim of her hatred and jealousy as Jon's been. The gap between intellectual understanding, where she allowed herself to be charitable, and emotional truth, where she could not, was ably captured.

I also like that they've turned Bran himself into a mystery. I especially liked the bit where Osha's giving Meera crap for fighting her brother's battles, and she doesn't get defensive at all. Something to the effect of "Some people need a lot of protecting. Doesn't mean they're not worthy of it." Because of course Osha's put everything she has on the line for a little cripple boy, and she knows that it's worth it.

When the Hound spotted Arya, I figured he'd bite his tongue and play the games everyone else plays. So happy to be proven wrong, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Once you get that these episodes really are just chunks of a longer story, with no episodic themes or structure, it's staggering what this show does. This show is almost designed for binge viewing, and the wait from week to week is brutal.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Simon Massey said:
Simon, in case you meant my reference to Tyrion's character "being put into a dark area", I thought I was being sufficiently general to not constitute a spoiler. Sorry if that went too far. I watched the first season before tearing through all 5 books before season 2 aired and I remember feeling like you do. Again, sorry, and I'll make sure to be overly cautious in treating spoilers going forword.

Adam Lenhardt said:
Was Catelyn's story about Jon Snow in the book? It was a wonderfully written scene, and shows her to be as much a victim of her hatred and jealousy as Jon's been. The gap between intellectual understanding, where she allowed herself to be charitable, and emotional truth, where she could not, was ably captured.
I don't remember it from the books at all. I was surprised to see it included. It did emphasize Cat's faith in the 7 gods.
Kevin Hewell said:
What was the name of the boy that was freaking out Bran?

Jojen Reed. He and his sister are the children of a minor lord who is not held in high esteem by any of the major families, but was well respected by Ned for standing by him during either Robert Baratheon's rebellion or Balon Greyjoy's rebellion, I forget which.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Charlie Campisi said:
At least, that was my thought before seeing Bolton's bastard work on Theon! Wow, that was hard to watch. Might have been easier if it wasn't a season break removed from Theon destroying Winterfell.
I very rarely actually laugh at things on TV or the movies. I'm laughing on the inside just not showing it. Having read the books tho this scene was just such an AWESOME suprise that I was about bouncing out of my seat laughing and cheering.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Charlie Campisi said:
Jojen Reed. He and his sister are the children of a minor lord who is not held in high esteem by any of the major families, but was well respected by Ned for standing by him during either Robert Baratheon's rebellion or Balon Greyjoy's rebellion, I forget which.
And they are swamp people. Frog eaters. Survival skills that might come in the handy on the run!

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Charlie Campisi said:
Spoiler regarding Jojen Reed's father:

Howland Reed, Jojen and Meera's father, fought with Ned Stark during Robert's Rebellion. Most notably, he is the only living person who knows the true account of the events at the Tower of Joy, where Ned claims he saved his life by defeating (or helping to defeat) Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning (the finest knight Ned ever saw). In other words: Howland knows who Jon Snow's parents are.The episode was interesting because Jojen claimed to have seen everything his father saw, which means Jojen knows, too.Bran's chapters are some of the best in the books for giving up really interesting information about the history of Westeros and the great houses.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Josh Dial said:
Spoiler regarding Jojen Reed's father:

Howland Reed, Jojen and Meera's father, fought with Ned Stark during Robert's Rebellion. Most notably, he is the only living person who knows the true account of the events at the Tower of Joy, where Ned claims he saved his life by defeating (or helping to defeat) Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning (the finest knight Ned ever saw). In other words: Howland knows who Jon Snow's parents are.The episode was interesting because Jojen claimed to have seen everything his father saw, which means Jojen knows, too.Bran's chapters are some of the best in the books for giving up really interesting information about the history of Westeros and the great houses.
I'll answer with spoilers...though, I don't think your'e really spoiling anything:

The only parts that I ever liked about the Bran story were the parts with the Reed children. They do seem to have some interesting and rich backgrounds. Unfortunately, they do not pay off satisfactorily.

Also, while Howland Reed was present to see Ned Stark fight Dayne, this in no way means he knows the true parentage of Jon Snow. Of all the potential theories of Jon's parentage, there are really only two that are likely...and, neither of those is something that would be revealed during the events in the tower. The likely (IMO) parentage of Jon is a secret between Lyanna and Ned told in private. Howland Reed would, at best, be one of the first to hear the original fake story told by Ned.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Spoilers about Howland Reed, the Tower of Joy, Lyanna etc from the books (mostly book 1 & 3)

Howland Red saved Ned's life in the battle of the Tower of Joy. This was a battle Ned remembers in the book but wasn't shown in the show. This battle involved Ned and his ten finest knights finding Lyanna at the Tower of Joy, there they did battle, all of Ned's men except Howland Reed died. They killed the Kingsguard at the Tower of Joy. and found Lyanna dying inside on bed of blood holding a blue winter rose. She made Ned promise her something before she died. When Ned's army caught up they razed the tower and buried the dead with the stones (except ned sent Lyannas bones back to Winterfell). Ned then went on a pilgrimage to the far Southwest corner of the continent, Starfall in Dorne, where Ser Arthur Dayne was from. There he delivered news of Dayne's death and returned the Dayne family's ancestral sword, Dawn, to them. He also told the woman he loved and had intended to marry, Ashara Dayne, that he was now married and they could not be married. After Ned left, Ashara Dayne reputedly committed suicide by jumping from their seaside castle tower into the ocean.

By the time Ned returns to Winterfell he has an infant with him, and a wet nurse to care for the infant, reportedly this is his bastard son, Jon Snow, conceived during the war. Reportedly the wet nurse came from Starfall in Dorne. It is not known if he had the baby with him before arriving there.

Now let's look at a seemingly minor detail, the importance of the Kingsguard in this story and where they were at this moment, which is at the very end of the war. They are pledged to protect to the death the King and his family.

There are seven kingsguard. Barristan Selmy was the only Kingsguard with Prince Rhaegar when Rhaegar was killed. Jaime Lannister was with King Aerys as well as Rhaegar's wife and children in Kingslanding. Willem Darry was with Aerys' wife (died in childbirth deliverin Danaerys), and son Viserys on Dragonstone.

That leaves four Kingsguard, including the lord commander, the four who were the best and most experienced warriors of the unit.

Why were these four Kingsguard not protecting the King and his family? or were they? Is that why they were in this place, were they protecting Rhaegar's second wife, Lyanna, or Rhaegar's son (or bastard-son) by Lyanna who would also be an heir to the throne in the event of the deaths of rest of the Targaryens? No one knows why they were there, but they were making a stand there that is seemingly making a stand of protecting the king's family.

Howland Reed, presumably knows why they were there as he is now the only survivor of that battle.

The currently most popular theory is that the four elite of the elite of the Kings Guard were at the Tower of Joy because they were protecting a pregnant Lyanna and her potential heir, and that this is the baby Ned Stark brought back to winterfell, that Jon snow is not Ned's child, but his nephew, and is a Targaryen (true born or bastard) and heir to the iron throne.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Quentin said:
I'll answer with spoilers...though, I don't think your'e really spoiling anything:

The only parts that I ever liked about the Bran story were the parts with the Reed children. They do seem to have some interesting and rich backgrounds. Unfortunately, they do not pay off satisfactorily.

Also, while Howland Reed was present to see Ned Stark fight Dayne, this in no way means he knows the true parentage of Jon Snow. Of all the potential theories of Jon's parentage, there are really only two that are likely...and, neither of those is something that would be revealed during the events in the tower. The likely (IMO) parentage of Jon is a secret between Lyanna and Ned told in private. Howland Reed would, at best, be one of the first to hear the original fake story told by Ned.
(spoiled out of caution, but this is really just a total guess on my part, and not a reveal of anything Martin has written):

I agree that the events at the Tower don't necessarily mean Howland Reed knows the secret. However, there is strong evidence pointing to the fact that Lyanna was the Knight of the Laughing Tree, and therefore has a close relationship with Reed. In any event, the Harrenhal TourneyWhen Ned found Lyanna in a pool of blood, dying, a theory is that she gave Ned her baby, telling him of the true parentage (her and Rhaegar). It simply makes sense that Reed was in the room at the time (though one chapter says Reed "found" Ned still clutching Lyanna's body), that he was told the truth by Ned (hard to deny certain facts if there was a baby there), or that he simply put all the facts together and confronted Ned about them.

No matter what, Howland Reed likely knows more than any currently living person regarding the true events at the Tower.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I must admit because I love the show so much, I am avoiding pretty much any threads except the one here. Thank you all for those who are using spoiler tags and I'm not so sensitive as to believe that Im somehow going to get through the next three or four years spoiler free without accidentally reading something. :) A glance at the first sentence on the blurb on one of the later books when it was coming out pretty much spoiled one development :) I guess I just feel it would probably be better with two threads as I know equally thats is great to discuss film/book differences freely without worrying about spoilers if you have read them. People are very good at not revealing plot points but It is generally allusions to characters changes or big moments that may be coming up that may well seem ok but still have a similar effect. I remember going to see the Sixth Sense not knowing anything about it and it made a hell of a difference to see it cold before reviews started to come in.

Im in the middle of book 2 at the moment and I must admit its difficult to decide whether to wait for the show or go ahead with the books. Im particular to the show as it is what got me into the books in the first place but its a long wait between seasons.

Michelle Fairley is fast becoming one of my favourite actresses in this show. Ive seen her before on TV in the UK but I dont think she has been that well known before. Watched the show again and loved her story about John Snow.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Josh Dial said:
(spoiled out of caution, but this is really just a total guess on my part, and not a reveal of anything Martin has written):

I agree that the events at the Tower don't necessarily mean Howland Reed knows the secret. However, there is strong evidence pointing to the fact that Lyanna was the Knight of the Laughing Tree, and therefore has a close relationship with Reed. In any event, the Harrenhal TourneyWhen Ned found Lyanna in a pool of blood, dying, a theory is that she gave Ned her baby, telling him of the true parentage (her and Rhaegar). It simply makes sense that Reed was in the room at the time (though one chapter says Reed "found" Ned still clutching Lyanna's body), that he was told the truth by Ned (hard to deny certain facts if there was a baby there), or that he simply put all the facts together and confronted Ned about them.

No matter what, Howland Reed likely knows more than any currently living person regarding the true events at the Tower.
I've ascribed it slightly differently. I don't believe John Snow's father is Rhaegar, but Robert Baratheon. You get the impression that Lyanna didn't want it known - so Ned did what was necessary and took the boy as his own. It would be fitting for Jon Snow to be the "true king" and also Stark/Baratheon blood.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Trivia from watching Batman Begins - Im sure the actor playing Joffrey Baratheon was the little boy who was given a souvenir from Batman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks