What's new

Howdy from the Great White North (1 Viewer)

pkraiker

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Kraiker
Thanks for the invite Kevin, in my surfing I found this to be a good resource so I thought it was time to sign up now that I've also decided it's time to upgrade my HT.
I've had a simple home theatre for years and have stopped using cable or any TV-only services. All of our viewing is via the internet (although getting an antennae is a topic I'll be exploring soon).
The home is set up with wired connections to all floors and wireless access. As my previous employment was with IBM (30 years) and my current occupation is as a photojournalist I have built up some amount of IT infrastructure. This includes 3 DLNA-enabled NAS devices with a total of 28 TB of available storage. To be fair though, 12 TB are dedicated as backup.
The HT I've just set up (thank you Santa) is:
Panasonic 37" Viera TC-L37E5 (ethernet connected)
Panasonic Blu-Ray player (ethernet connected)
Boston Acoustics TVee 26
An old VCR
and a Windows computer (ethernet connected)
I have all the components connected and working, and I have lots to learn about what I have and how best to take advantage of it. The past day has been spent educating myself on DLNA. Even though I've the NAS capability for years it's only now that I have the HT capable of exploiting it. Up until now I've been using AVI for a lot of stuff... bad choice (so another thread I'll be exploring is converting files from AVI to a format supported by my HT). Of course I can still use the computer for playing those, it's the last Windows device in the house though so I'd be just as happy to see it go (yes, I've gone all Apple and Linux).
So there's a little about me...
And Happy New Year to all!
/Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks