Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

The Dark Knight Rises Blu-ray Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,117 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted November 25 2012 - 10:27 AM

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#2 of 39 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,001 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 10:58 AM

I loved this movie so this will be a day-n-date purchase for me regardless. I do hope however that when they transferred the IMAX portions of this film to Blu-Ray they managed to avoid the halo/ringing that was prevalent in the IMAX portions of The Dark Knight. That was the only slight ding in an otherwise fantastic BD for TDK. Hoping it's remedied for TDKR.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#3 of 39 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,777 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 11:44 AM

I loved this movie so this will be a day-n-date purchase for me regardless. I do hope however that when they transferred the IMAX portions of this film to Blu-Ray they managed to avoid the halo/ringing that was prevalent in the IMAX portions of The Dark Knight. That was the only slight ding in an otherwise fantastic BD for TDK. Hoping it's remedied for TDKR.
I thought the 35mm sections of THE DARK KNIGHT had very heavy halos, not the IMAX scenes which looked superb IMO. Vincent

#4 of 39 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,117 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 11:53 AM

/t/325486/the-dark-knight-rises-blu-ray-review#post_4005468 I thought the 35mm sections of THE DARK KNIGHT had very heavy halos, not the IMAX scenes which looked superb IMO. Vincent
Had I observed any halos, I would have mentioned it.  I think you will both be happy. 
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#5 of 39 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,001 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 12:19 PM

Thanks Ken, that helps put my mind at ease. Vincent, I don't remember which was which, if the IMAX was EE'd or the 35mm parts EE'd for IMAX presentation and then subsequently brought to BD [I'm on vacation and can't check my BDs]. Regardless, if Ken says they aren't there, or aren't visible on normal viewing, then I'm not worried.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#6 of 39 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,261 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 01:39 PM

Thank you for the review. I loved Rises and it may be my favorite of the Nolan series as well. Looking forward to picking it up on blu ray in just a few days! The Batmobile documentary sounds very, very cool. Hopefully we can get the Adam West Batman series out on DVD and blu ray very soon too.

#7 of 39 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,287 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 06:45 PM

I would love to know if the audio has been remixed from the theatrical mix where dialog was drowned out from the orchestral score getting super loud.
-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#8 of 39 OFFLINE   SVTStingRay

SVTStingRay

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 09:12 PM

once again, just like with avengers, i feel this movie (and the trilogy in whole) deserve better extras.

#9 of 39 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted November 25 2012 - 10:22 PM

I would love to know if the audio has been remixed from the theatrical mix where dialog was drowned out from the orchestral score getting super loud.
It hasn't. :(

#10 of 39 OFFLINE   BillBR

BillBR

Stunt Coordinator

• 60 posts

Posted November 25 2012 - 11:46 PM

Hasn't the forthcoming release of a WHV "Ultimate Collector's Edition" of the trilogy been officially announced for Spring 2013? I assume we'd get all these extras plus more, in that case...precisely why I'm saving my money now...
"I've been thinking about what we talked about before...it's not enough to survive. One has to be worthy of surviving. That's all."
--Edward James Olmos

#11 of 39 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,672 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted November 26 2012 - 07:22 AM

Buying this one on 12/4...but if the "Ultimate Trilogy Edition" contains even more new stuff, I'm buying that one in 2013, too. Extremely in the tank for this series.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#12 of 39 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,117 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTStingRay /t/325486/the-dark-knight-rises-blu-ray-review#post_4005612 once again, just like with avengers, i feel this movie (and the trilogy in whole) deserve better extras.
As the guy who had to just sit through and report on three hours of bonus materials (not inlcuding the not yet functional Second Screen content) to push the above review out, I would like to offer the contrarian opinion that the extras were sufficient.
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#13 of 39 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,478 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 07:01 PM

The only special feature on the first disc which contains the movie is a Second Screen option that allows viewers watching on connected BD-Live enabled Blu-ray players to sync with the movie via an app called “The Dark Knight Rises FX”. It appears that this app will work with Apple devices capable of running iOS 5 or later and a very limited number of Android Devices. Damn it, Warner Bros, now I have to go purchase some foolish Apple "device" in order to enjoy a special feature I have paid for??? Why can't you just keep doing PIP visual commentaries so we can all enjoy it? No, I don't want to have to connect to the internet in order to decode something!

#14 of 39 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,906 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:41 AM

The whole "Second Screen" concept strikes me as a prime example of making things more complicated than they have to be simply for the sake of having New Technology to market. I bought my family an iPad on Black Friday and I feel kind of dirty about it. I guess we can try this out now.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#15 of 39 OFFLINE   rayman1701

rayman1701

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts
  • LocationOutside Chicago

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:48 AM

I agree about the Second Screen thing.  I don't want to have to look back and forth between a tablet and the screen just to enjoy some of the Special features and what about someone else who may be watching with you, trying to all join round the iPad to watch something can get a bit cumbersome and not always comfortable, even with just 2 people.  So please can we get past this second screen fad already.

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#16 of 39 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,297 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 08:54 AM

This will be a blind buy for me, but I figure I will be safe given how much I liked the first two movies.

#17 of 39 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,389 posts

Posted November 27 2012 - 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman1701 /t/325486/the-dark-knight-rises-blu-ray-review#post_4006209 I agree about the Second Screen thing.  I don't want to have to look back and forth between a tablet and the screen just to enjoy some of the Special features and what about someone else who may be watching with you, trying to all join round the iPad to watch something can get a bit cumbersome and not always comfortable, even with just 2 people.  So please can we get past this second screen fad already.
   I liked the execution of "Second Screen" with "Real Steel", as it included a less-functional but still interesting version you could watch without any secondary device.  The versions that require the external device are a PITA...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#18 of 39 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,461 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 28 2012 - 10:15 PM

Apparently BB has exclusive extra content on their steel book and trilogy edition. I've heard Walmart and Target may also have exclusive content.
facebook.com/whotony

#19 of 39 OFFLINE   AlexF

AlexF

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 04:14 AM

Apparently BB has exclusive extra content on their steel book and trilogy edition. I've heard Walmart and Target may also have exclusive content.
That applies to Best Buy here in Canada too (unusually). Well, Future Shop has the steel book, but BB has the bonus content.

#20 of 39 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,461 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 29 2012 - 04:16 PM

Thanks is to a rental box that always puts everything out days early I have a copy to watch and I am doing that right now. Yaaaayyy!
facebook.com/whotony

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users