What's new

Help With LG TV and Home Theater (1 Viewer)

HaydnC

Auditioning
Real Name
Haydn
I have a LG 50 in. plasma tv, and I recently purchased their 850W Cinema Home Theater system.
My problem is I cannot get my tv's audio to come from the surround system's speakers. I have an optical audio cable coming from the tv to the DVD player that was included in the home theater, with it set to receive optical audio signals. The volume is up, and my tv is set to use the home theater speakers. There is no option to use ARC.
What am I doing wrong?
Links to Systems:
TV: http://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/lg-50PT350-plasma-tv
Home Theater: http://www.lg.com/ca_en/home-theater-systems/lg-BH6420P

HaydnC

Auditioning
Real Name
Haydn
I guess what I am trying to do is use my TV as a hub for my home theater.
Ideally, I would be able to hear my PS3 through the home theater, as well as my cable box, etc.
The way I thought it would work is all of my devices would be connected to my tv, with an optical audio cable running from the TV to the theater, which would make all sound that would normally come from the TV's speakers instead come from the home theater's speakers. Is this theory wrong?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is the proper arrangement if you don't care about sound quality.
If you care about sound quality, you'll route everything through the AVR first. Why?
Your TV dumbs down(they all do, not just yours) audio output to 2.0 PCM. So if you are happy never having Dolby Digital, then go right ahead and use your TV as the hub.
My "guess" here...
You haven't set up your AVR for "dumbed down sound"...(by the way, that is sarcasm)
Edit:
What is "probably wrong"...
You have your PS3 and STB both set-up for Dolby Digital...which your TV doesn't understand. Since it doesn't understand 5.1, you get no sound. So, if you really wish to use your TV as the hub...change your PS3 and STB to 2.0 and it will work again.
Then you can use DPL in your AVR.
Or, hook it up the right way and you have DTS, DTS-HD/MA, Dolby True HD and all the other ones you won't get the way you are trying to do it.
This "using your TV as a hub" has been covered ad nauseam.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The OP doesn't have an AVR. It's an HTIB with the usual input limitations so he pretty much must use the tv as a hub and try to get sound via the tv's optical out for all sources other than the BD player included in the HTIB's main unit.
My suggestion would be to see if there's a setting for the output format via digital optical on the tv and try changing that. usually the choices are "PCM" or "bitstream". Also check the digital audio HDMI output settings on the various source devices.
Until I got my 1.4 HDMI receiver I was forced to use my LG set as a hub and had no problem getting sound from the set's optical out to my 6 year old Pioneer AVR, but that AVR would accept any format via optical (except lossless codecs, of course).
Could be his HTIB won't accept the digital format being output by his tv.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah, my "intent" was to give the guy an "aha moment" and purchase a real AVR...
The point about his sources being set(more than likely) for 5.1 instead of 2.0 is 99.9% likely to be the issue here.

HaydnC

Auditioning
Real Name
Haydn
I tried switching my audio output formats on my devices, and had no results. TV doesn't have a setting for changing audio output format either. Tried Hooking the my optical audio cable right to my PS3 and had the same problem. Faulty cable maybe? The output port on my TV is functional as far as I can tell (meaning I can see a red light emanating from it.)
And yes, I know and AVR setup would have been the better buy, and wouldn`t have given me the problem I`m having now, but the home theater was a gift.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, hopefully it is the cable being bad. It happens. Or, could be the toslink on either end is bad as well...hopefully not.
I do have a frame of reference for that, One of my Onkyo 6-disc changers has a faulty toslink on it. I just use it with analog gear...which with this TV-HTIB combo, you won't have that luxury.
Well, you do...if you find the toslink on the HTiB is bad, you can always get a toslink-analog converter. But if a bad toslink is the case, hopefully you still have warranty.

HaydnC

Auditioning
Real Name
Haydn
This is possibly a dumb question, but an optical IN port doesn't have a red light emanating, right? It would make sense if it doesn't but I'm just checking my bases. My optical audio cord isn't faulty, as the opposite end of the one hooked to the TV is lit up.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
HaydnC said:
This is possibly a dumb question, but an optical IN port doesn't have a red light emanating, right? It would make sense if it doesn't but I'm just checking my bases. My optical audio cord isn't faulty, as the opposite end of the one hooked to the TV is lit up.
No, an "in" optical port won't glow red. If you configured the PS3 correctly and ran the toslink cable to the HTIB and still didn't get audio the likelihood is that the cable or the htib is the culprit as your chances of having two source devices (tv and ps3) with defective optical audio outs is very slim.
My turn to ask a "dumb question"--optical cables almost always come with little protective soft plastic "condoms" covering the ends--you did remove these before connecting?
There is a poster on another site (which shall remain nameless) having a similar problem with a similar LG htib so you're not the only one. It might not hurt to try LG customer support regarding this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks