Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

Peter Gunn: The Complete Series DVD Review

TV Reviews

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,264 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted October 30 2012 - 08:49 PM

Peter Gunn, one of the iconic detective television shows from the late fifties and early sixties, has finally come to DVD in this mostly excellent box set from Timeless Media. It is not perfect. Although the overwhelming majority of the 114 episodes presented here are in excellent shape, at least three of them are edited syndicated versions and several others were mastered from elements which are at least a generation away from the elements used for most of the series. Even so, fans of the series should be thrilled to see that the entire run of Peter Gunn is now available.   . This rendition won the 1986 Grammy Award for Best Rock Instrumental The Supplements The only extra which comes with this set is a welcome one - a CD of Henry Mancini's hit soundtrack album. The CD comes in a paper envelope, so you will have to provide your own jewel box for it. The Packaging The 114 episodes are spread over 12 discs. Six of the discs contain 10 episodes and the other six contain 9 episodes. The discs are packaged three keep cases, four discs per keep case. The discs are overlapped, two per side, but they are held securely in place. One complaint that I have is that the individual discs list the episodes but they are not numbered. It is not that difficult to figure out in which order they should be played, but it would have been nice if Timeless had labeled them "Disc One," "Disc Two," etc. The three keep cases come in a rather flimsy cardboard slipcase. A couple of minor mistakes slipped through. The photo of Craig Stevens on the covers has been reversed and has the part in his hair on the right side, whereas it should be on the left. The word "vicious" is spelled correctly on the label of the first disc, but it is misspelled in the onscreen list of episodes. The Final Analysis As noted, this is not a flawless release, but it is eminently watchable and is undoubtedly the best collection of Peter Gunn which we are likely to see. Fans of Peter Gunn also will want to check out the Timeless release of the complete series of Mr. Lucky, which also was created by Blake Edwards and features memorable music by Henry Mancini. Equipment used for this review: Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray player Panasonic Viera TC-P46G15 Plasma display, calibrated to THX specification by Gregg Loewen Yamaha HTR-5890 THX Surround Receiver BIC Acoustech speakers Interconnects: Monster Cable Release Date: October 23, 2012
Rich Gallagher

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted October 31 2012 - 09:36 AM

Good review. Bought it, love it.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,917 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 12:12 PM

Wow! I already have the A&E sets, and am a huge fan of Lola Albright- this is a must-buy!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted October 31 2012 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for the excellent review, Richard. I look forward to getting this set. All in all, Timeless did a pretty good job, and I am happy to hear they included the soundtrack CD.

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   willmo

willmo

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 11:53 AM

Great program to watch.

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   willmo

willmo

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 11:57 AM

Great program to watch.

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   willmo

willmo

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 11:57 AM

Great program to watch.

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   PatrickGoodluck

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted November 01 2012 - 03:08 PM

Thank you, Richard for that outstanding and comprehensive review. You answered all my questions and more. Especially good that you took the time to note the timings for each episode, that would have been my first question. :) I'm glad the audio cd was included in the package. I have the Henry Mancini, Duane Eddy and Ray Anthony themes all on 45's (I dig them all for different reasons) so it would be nice have clean versions of them all on disc. As you said, it's not a flawless release but it sure is an essential buy nevertheless. :)

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   disctrip

disctrip

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted November 02 2012 - 03:49 AM

Great series. Glad to have it on dvd. Craig Stevens WAS Peter Gunn.

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,264 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted November 02 2012 - 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGoodluck /t/324833/peter-gunn-the-complete-series-dvd-review#post_3996460 Thank you, Richard for that outstanding and comprehensive review. You answered all my questions and more. Especially good that you took the time to note the timings for each episode, that would have been my first question.  
  You're welcome. I knew that there would be questions about syndication prints, so while spot-checking the quality of each episode I also checked the running time of each. I was happy to discover that so few of them are syndication prints.
Rich Gallagher

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 335 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 01:09 AM

Darn -- already OOP and unavailable. That seems oddly quick, doncha think?

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 341 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 09:01 AM

Darn -- already OOP and unavailable. That seems oddly quick, doncha think?

It isn't out of print or unavailable:
http://www.amazon.co...ords=peter gunn

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 335 posts

Posted November 12 2012 - 11:34 PM

As I noticed today -- ordered it from deep discount. But 5-6 days ago I was at their site, and amazon.ca, and neither of them had it, or listed as backordered. Just stated it was 'unavailable.' I didn't let the opportunity pass me by a second time.

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 335 posts

Posted November 17 2012 - 08:44 PM

While I wait for Peter to arrive, I had a thought about another Craig Stevens show, Mr. Broadway, created by Garson Kanin. It only ran for 13 episodes apparently, but you can catch a glimpse on YouTube. It would be great to see that show on DVD - highly unlikely, but I can still hope!

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted December 01 2012 - 09:58 AM

Now, when do we get the 1967 movie on dvd?

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,666 posts

Posted December 01 2012 - 10:28 AM

Now, when do we get the 1967 movie on dvd?
At this point, I think that's only likely if Olive Films licenses it from Paramount, or if Shout somehow works out a deal for some further Paramount deep catalog stuff (apart from the WALKING TALL trilogy and THE DUELLISTS), as they've done with MGM and Universal. Call me crazy, but I can't picture a GUNN release coming from Criterion.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted December 02 2012 - 10:23 AM

Criterion did that worthless michael bay movie and all those obscure yakuza movies, the least they could do is a little blake edwards. And it wouldnt kill them to do some alain tanner.

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,264 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted December 02 2012 - 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidHartzog /t/324833/peter-gunn-the-complete-series-dvd-review#post_4008021 Now, when do we get the 1967 movie on dvd?
  A couple of HTF members suggested it to some Paramount people when we visited the studio in October, so at least they know that there is some interest.
Rich Gallagher

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 08:10 AM

GUNN is a terrific picture (although Lola Albright and Hope Emerson are sorely missed. Amazon's video-on-demand is showing it.
Charles Hoyt

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted December 03 2012 - 12:34 PM

I believe Gunn was/is streaming on Netflix at one time and apparently it looked fabulous.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews, TV Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users