Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) available for preorder on Amazon

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 of 78 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,527 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted November 29 2012 - 02:44 PM

The DVD set must be presented in filmed order, because the blu-ray is in broadcast order and some of the shows I've already seen from the DVD set. The blu-ray is a nice set. All I need to do is return the Banes and Noble set when it shows up, and save $21.

#22 of 78 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,420 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted November 29 2012 - 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill 

The DVD set must be presented in filmed order, because the blu-ray is in broadcast order and some of the shows I've already seen from the DVD set.
The blu-ray is a nice set. All I need to do is return the Banes and Noble set when it shows up, and save $21.

Both sets are in filmed order.  There's a little note at the bottom of each of the inside blu-ray covers.  The one exception is on disc 3 of Season 5, where do they do have episode 157 last, as it was meant to be the final episode, even though it was the second to last to be filmed.

#23 of 78 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,445 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 10:16 AM

Currently about $120 at Costco after instant off. Complete Twilight Zone also in blu same price. Many instant offs currently at Costco.

#24 of 78 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,888 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted December 10 2012 - 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Garysb 

Currently about $120 at Costco after instant off. Complete Twilight Zone also in blu same price. Many instant offs currently at Costco.

Thanks!

#25 of 78 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,841 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 10:47 AM

Well unfortunately $$$-wise, I preordered this set back when it was announced thinking there would be some kind of good price drop, which never happened. But since I ended up spending $300 on this set, I guess I really couldn't be happier with the end-result. On my 50-inch DLP, the transfers look absolutely stunning. I've only watched a few of the episodes so far, but I can't imagine a B&W series looking any better than this (although I'd love to see The Andy Griffith Show try, but at a cheaper price). I hope you won't be disappointed. I know I'm not.

The Andy Griffith show is available on Netflix streaming in HD. Not blu-ray, I know, but it looks very good.

#26 of 78 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,011 posts

Posted December 10 2012 - 11:18 AM

The Andy Griffith show is available on Netflix streaming in HD. Not blu-ray, I know, but it looks very good.

Andy Griffith Show Complete Series now on sale at Target for 70 bucks...sale ends Saturday 12/15/2012

#27 of 78 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,445 posts

Posted February 16 2014 - 12:20 PM

Per TVshowsonDVD.com Image is going to re release the SD of the Dick Van Dyke shows as episodes only sets for a list price of $24.99 per season.

http://www.tvshowson...through-5/19471

#28 of 78 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 10:57 PM

Having gone through the show recently, it still holds up; it's great!

I'd rank the seasons with 2 being the best, followed by 3, then 4, 5 and 1.

Season 5 had a lot of recycled plots.

Season 1 the show didn't seem very special or hip. Other than one or two episodes, it felt like typical 1950s fare, nothing really distinguishing it. They were really lucky to get a second season!

It's great watching that second season though and seeing the show coming into its own, finding its unique voice.

Also interesting, the show really was a domestic comedy. Other than a handful episodes, it never really gave an inside view of television or even of being a writer. All that took back seat to the husband-wife dynamic. Mary Tyler Moore really stole the show!

#29 of 78 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted March 01 2014 - 03:36 PM

I got thge complete series for aroundn 25 I think  about 7 years ago.

Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#30 of 78 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,099 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted March 04 2014 - 09:02 PM

An Amazon third-party seller is selling the Dick Van Dyke Blu-ray set (brand-new) for $104 including shipping.

Rich Gallagher

#31 of 78 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted May 01 2014 - 12:25 PM

An Amazon third-party seller is selling the Dick Van Dyke Blu-ray set (brand-new) for $104 including shipping.

And now another third-party is selling it today @ $62.99 for those still on the fence.  Fantastic price.    Picked one up and looking forward to revisiting this classic. 

#32 of 78 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,205 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted May 01 2014 - 02:19 PM

And now another third-party is selling it today @ $62.99 for those still on the fence.  Fantastic price.    Picked one up and looking forward to revisiting this classic. 

After getting 3 seasons of Doctor Who cheaply from third party sellers only to figure out they were bootlegs, I've been wary of sellers offering prices that seem to be too good to be true.

But if it turns out to be legit, yeah, you got a great deal, and the series looks beautiful on blu. In fact, sometimes it's too clear. Take the pilot, for example, where you can see the excessive amount of make-up used on Dick Van Dyke to cover a cold sore he got just before filming.

• JohnMor likes this

#33 of 78 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,420 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted May 01 2014 - 02:42 PM

... the series looks beautiful on blu. In fact, sometimes it's too clear. Take the pilot, for example, where you can see the excessive amount of make-up used on Dick Van Dyke to cover a cold sore he got just before filming.

LOL.  So true.  Dick did his own makeup and it took him a bit to also tone down the "Broadway" level of makeup he was used to with Bye Bye Birdie.  Man is it thick in the pilot.

#34 of 78 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,099 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted May 01 2014 - 05:29 PM

After getting 3 seasons of Doctor Who cheaply from third party sellers only to figure out they were bootlegs, I've been wary of sellers offering prices that seem to be too good to be true.

But if it turns out to be legit, yeah, you got a great deal, and the series looks beautiful on blu. In fact, sometimes it's too clear. Take the pilot, for example, where you can see the excessive amount of make-up used on Dick Van Dyke to cover a cold sore he got just before filming.

These are legit. They are being sold by a third party seller, but fulfilled by Amazon. The shrink wrap has the Image sticker which says "All 158 Episodes in High-Definition for the First Time Ever!" and "Loaded with Exclusive Bonus Features!"  And the box has the correct UPC.

Rich Gallagher

#35 of 78 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted May 01 2014 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for the heads up. $62.99 was too good of a deal to pass up despite being very pleased with the DVD's. 

#36 of 78 OFFLINE   benbess

benbess

Screenwriter

• 1,841 posts

Posted May 04 2014 - 03:17 AM

Today the complete Dick Van Dyke set on blu-ray is on sale at amazon for $54. At that price, I couldn't resist. My wife will be annoyed....

#37 of 78 OFFLINE   McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted May 05 2014 - 04:19 PM

Amazon seller Clover Media (95% positive rating) also has this set for $49.99 + $3.99 shipping. Amazing deal, and I blind bought a copy for that price.

There are also eBay listings with prices under $60 for new sets.

Unfortunately, the elephant in the room is that Image must be liquidating stock that otherwise wouldn't sell. 

• benbess likes this

#38 of 78 OFFLINE   moviepas

moviepas

Second Unit

• 433 posts

Posted May 05 2014 - 04:54 PM

I just got this set from a Marketplace seller thru Amazon(being international made the delivery costs high and out Amazon's usual range). The sealed box had the  Region-Free ABC logo but in fact i is Region A locked as my screen promptly told me so I changed machines to my Region-Free one. No problems. 

#39 of 78 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,353 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted May 05 2014 - 06:19 PM

I just got this set from a Marketplace seller thru Amazon(being international made the delivery costs high and out Amazon's usual range). The sealed box had the  Region-Free ABC logo but in fact i is Region A locked as my screen promptly told me so I changed machines to my Region-Free one. No problems. 

Wow. That's an unfortunate blunder on the labeling. It's one thing to label a product as a single region when in fact it is open region, but quite another to label it as all-region and have that be blatantly false!

#40 of 78 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted May 06 2014 - 02:16 AM

My set hasn't arrived yet but I was curious as I looked through the new extras. Are the bonuses from tv episodes of the time the complete episode like the old extras were, or just segments?

In particular, the Make Room for Daddy extra with Mary Tyler Moore? It won't be nearly as nice of an addition if it's only a short segment. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users