The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) available for preorder on Amazon

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    The DVD set must be presented in filmed order, because the blu-ray is in broadcast order and some of the shows I've already seen from the DVD set.
    The blu-ray is a nice set. All I need to do is return the Banes and Noble set when it shows up, and save $21.

2. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Both sets are in filmed order. There's a little note at the bottom of each of the inside blu-ray covers. The one exception is on disc 3 of Season 5, where do they do have episode 157 last, as it was meant to be the final episode, even though it was the second to last to be filmed.

3. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

Currently about $120 at Costco after instant off. Complete Twilight Zone also in blu same price. Many instant offs currently at Costco.

Osato likes this.
  4. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Thanks!

Osato likes this.
  5. benbess

benbess Cinematographer

Ben Hufbauer
    The Andy Griffith show is available on Netflix streaming in HD. Not blu-ray, I know, but it looks very good.

6. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Andy Griffith Show Complete Series now on sale at Target for 70 bucks...sale ends Saturday 12/15/2012

7. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

8. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    Having gone through the show recently, it still holds up; it's great!

I'd rank the seasons with 2 being the best, followed by 3, then 4, 5 and 1.

Season 5 had a lot of recycled plots.

Season 1 the show didn't seem very special or hip. Other than one or two episodes, it felt like typical 1950s fare, nothing really distinguishing it. They were really lucky to get a second season!

It's great watching that second season though and seeing the show coming into its own, finding its unique voice.

Also interesting, the show really was a domestic comedy. Other than a handful episodes, it never really gave an inside view of television or even of being a writer. All that took back seat to the husband-wife dynamic. Mary Tyler Moore really stole the show!

9. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I got thge complete series for aroundn 25 I think about 7 years ago.

10. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    An Amazon third-party seller is selling the Dick Van Dyke Blu-ray set (brand-new) for $104 including shipping.

11. David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    And now another third-party is selling it today @ $62.99 for those still on the fence. Fantastic price. Picked one up and looking forward to revisiting this classic.

12. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    After getting 3 seasons of Doctor Who cheaply from third party sellers only to figure out they were bootlegs, I've been wary of sellers offering prices that seem to be too good to be true.

But if it turns out to be legit, yeah, you got a great deal, and the series looks beautiful on blu. In fact, sometimes it's too clear. Take the pilot, for example, where you can see the excessive amount of make-up used on Dick Van Dyke to cover a cold sore he got just before filming.

JohnMor likes this.
  13. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    LOL. So true. Dick did his own makeup and it took him a bit to also tone down the "Broadway" level of makeup he was used to with Bye Bye Birdie. Man is it thick in the pilot.

14. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    These are legit. They are being sold by a third party seller, but fulfilled by Amazon. The shrink wrap has the Image sticker which says "All 158 Episodes in High-Definition for the First Time Ever!" and "Loaded with Exclusive Bonus Features!" And the box has the correct UPC.

15. LeoA

LeoA Screenwriter

Leo
    Thanks for the heads up. $62.99 was too good of a deal to pass up despite being very pleased with the DVD's.

16. benbess

benbess Cinematographer

Ben Hufbauer
    Today the complete Dick Van Dyke set on blu-ray is on sale at amazon for $54. At that price, I couldn't resist. My wife will be annoyed....

17. McCrutchy

McCrutchy Second Unit

Sean
    Amazon seller Clover Media (95% positive rating) also has this set for $49.99 + $3.99 shipping. Amazing deal, and I blind bought a copy for that price.

There are also eBay listings with prices under $60 for new sets.

Unfortunately, the elephant in the room is that Image must be liquidating stock that otherwise wouldn't sell.

benbess likes this.
  18. moviepas

moviepas Second Unit

I just got this set from a Marketplace seller thru Amazon(being international made the delivery costs high and out Amazon's usual range). The sealed box had the Region-Free ABC logo but in fact i is Region A locked as my screen promptly told me so I changed machines to my Region-Free one. No problems.

19. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Wow. That's an unfortunate blunder on the labeling. It's one thing to label a product as a single region when in fact it is open region, but quite another to label it as all-region and have that be blatantly false!

20. LeoA

LeoA Screenwriter

Leo
    My set hasn't arrived yet but I was curious as I looked through the new extras. Are the bonuses from tv episodes of the time the complete episode like the old extras were, or just segments?

In particular, the Make Room for Daddy extra with Mary Tyler Moore? It won't be nearly as nice of an addition if it's only a short segment.