Warner Archive Titles to look forward to in October/November

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 of 41 Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 738 posts

Posted October 05 2012 - 05:06 AM

They ship worldwide. They actually have a special shipping rate for Canada, which costs more than domestic US but less than international. For Canada there is a base charge of $6 per order and an additional $2 per item (so one item would cost $8) They charge you in US dollars and you can only pay by credit card or international money order.

#22 of 41 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,807 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted October 05 2012 - 05:12 AM

Thanks for the heads up Richard, I apprecaite it. Guess I'll pre-order Bowery and prey for pressed discs. :s

#23 of 41 John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 677 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted October 05 2012 - 05:20 AM

According to the artwork the Wheeler and Woolsey package contains the following titles: Half Shot at Sunrise Hook, Line and Sinker Cracked Nuts Caught Plastered Hold 'Em Jail Hips, Hips, Hooray The Nitwits Mummy's Boys High Flyers

Does this now complete all the RKO Wheeler and Woolsey films (including the previously released Archive titles)?

#24 of 41 ajabrams

ajabrams

Second Unit

• 261 posts

Posted October 05 2012 - 06:24 AM

Does this now complete all the RKO Wheeler and Woolsey films (including the previously released Archive titles)?

Nope. Still missing several others including: Cockeyed Cavaliers, The Cuckoos (which has extant Technicolor scenes), and etc. Dixiana, which is not in the WB Archive, is available on a very good Roan release which includes the wonderful Technicolor finale. Also would be nice to see a more complete version of Rio Rita.

#25 of 41 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 05 2012 - 08:04 AM

I can understand why “The Cuckoos” was not included the existing print has some issues with the sound in all the black and white scenes, when the film was transferred to video it picked up all the sprocket hole noises.

#26 of 41 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,158 posts

Posted October 05 2012 - 10:20 AM

ONE FOR THE BOOK, thanks! I could not remember that alternate title...

#27 of 41 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,106 posts

Posted October 07 2012 - 03:56 PM

For years, ever since the Archive series came into being, I have begged Warner Bros for one title, and one title only... SINBAD THE SAILOR. This 1947 R.K.O. release starring Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Maureen O'Hara and Anthony Quinn was produced in blazing Technicolor and was run 16 times in one week on New York's WOR-TV program Million Dollar Movie in the 60's. I might have watched it ten times that week, in black and white, of course. Finally, many years later I bought the poor-quality VHS tape (was there any other kind?). When laser disc emerged, I bought the Image/Turner edition but found it untenable, with crumby color and a dearth of detail. A DVD I later found in some foreign country turned out to be no better. WHY IS THIS SUPERB ADVENTURE NOT AVAILABLE FROM THE ARCHIVE YET? This was a major release for RKO, one of a handful of Technicolor productions from that studio, and it did very well with the public. It is essentially m.i.a. on video in any format now and has been for about ten years. These semi-annual pleas to Warner Bros. for a release of this title have grown discouraging. I do not expect or even hope for a Blu-ray, just a decent copy, finally, on DVD-R.

#28 of 41 RBailey

RBailey

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted October 07 2012 - 10:10 PM

Just noticed on the Movies Unlimited site that the Wheeler and Woolsey set has been "delayed by the manufacturer" with a new release date of 2/26/2013.

#29 of 41 borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 836 posts

Posted October 08 2012 - 02:17 AM

Just noticed WB shop has an Archive sale 5 for $50 . It's a one day only Columbus day sale . Last few weeks of releases don't seem to be included.

#30 of 41 PODER

PODER

Stunt Coordinator

• 247 posts

Posted October 08 2012 - 07:53 AM

Dick ... have you tried asking this question on the Warner Archive Facebook page? They're very good about answering questions there, although you might have to wait a few days for a reply. They generally seem to answer all the previous week's questions on Saturday or Sunday. SINBAD THE SAILOR sounds like a delight. I'll look forward to hearing what they have to say ...

#31 of 41 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,613 posts

Posted October 08 2012 - 08:53 AM

Chances are that it may be in rough shape and need more work before it can be safely remastered. It's an issue with many WAC candidate films that are currently unreleased, especially high-profile titles that would have normally been released sooner.

#32 of 41 Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted October 08 2012 - 10:43 AM

I can understand why “The Cuckoos” was not included the existing print has some issues with the sound in all the black and white scenes, when the film was transferred to video it picked up all the sprocket hole noises.

Darn, I just want it for Bert and Dorothy Lee's titillating version of "I love You So Much." Much more risque than the version on "Three Little Words."

Living in the Baseball Wasteland.

#33 of 41 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,394 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 05:13 AM

Nope. Still missing several others including: Cockeyed Cavaliers, The Cuckoos (which has extant Technicolor scenes), and etc. Dixiana, which is not in the WB Archive, is available on a very good Roan release which includes the wonderful Technicolor finale. Also would be nice to see a more complete version of Rio Rita.

Also missing Silly Billies (1936) which was previously available on Laserdisc. This was their final film appearance with Dorothy Lee. I have asked on their facebook page if there is an issue with Cockeyed Cavaliers and Sillie Billies.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#34 of 41 Brent S

Brent S

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 05:23 AM

Also missing Silly Billies (1936) which was previously available on Laserdisc. This was their final film appearance with Dorothy Lee. I have asked on their facebook page if there is an issue with Cockeyed Cavaliers and Sillie Billies.

To which they replied a couple hours ago... "The next set will still leave four yet-to-be released, all four of which have technical issues that are not insurmountable and will lead to an eventual release later on. We'll also be releasing their two solo outings as well."

#35 of 41 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,394 posts

Posted October 09 2012 - 06:50 AM

So I would have to guess that the 4 films would be: Dixiana The Cuckoos Cockeyed Cavaliers Silly Billies
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#36 of 41 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted October 09 2012 - 07:55 AM

Plus "Too Many Cooks" (1931), with Bert and Dorothy Lee, "Everything's Rosie" (1931). Robert Woolsey's only solo film, and then there's "The Cowboy Quarterback" (1939), Bert's first film after Woolsey's death.

#37 of 41 kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 10:29 AM

i wonder what warner will release for december. hopefully a few war movies.

#38 of 41 Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,221 posts

Posted October 10 2012 - 12:04 PM

i wonder what warner will release for december. hopefully a few war movies.

Yes, because nothing says Christmas like war :)

#39 of 41 borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 836 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 01:17 AM

The studios always release war movies to celebrate one of the most horrific events to happen to this country . Pearl Harbor . Go figure . I'm just happy it gives them a reason to release some good vintage war movies . :)

#40 of 41 Brent S

Brent S

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted October 11 2012 - 04:58 AM

Warner Archive is now taking "Perry Mason" preorders for a 10/23 release. Movies Unlimited a little later, 11/2. (image from Movies Unlimited)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users