Warner Archive Titles to look forward to in October/November

Discussion in 'DVD' started by FrankXS, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Nebiroth

Nebiroth Supporting Actor

They ship worldwide. They actually have a special shipping rate for Canada, which costs more than domestic US but less than international.
    For Canada there is a base charge of $6 per order and an additional $2 per item (so one item would cost $8)
    They charge you in US dollars and you can only pay by credit card or international money order.

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Thanks for the heads up Richard, I apprecaite it. Guess I'll pre-order Bowery and prey for pressed discs. :s

3. John Morgan

John Morgan Supporting Actor

John
    Does this now complete all the RKO Wheeler and Woolsey films (including the previously released Archive titles)?

4. ajabrams

ajabrams Second Unit

Alan Abrams
    Nope. Still missing several others including: Cockeyed Cavaliers, The Cuckoos (which has extant Technicolor scenes), and etc.
    Dixiana, which is not in the WB Archive, is available on a very good Roan release which includes the wonderful Technicolor finale. Also would be nice to see a more complete version of Rio Rita.

5. Guest

I can understand why “The Cuckoos” was not included the existing print has some issues with the sound in all the black and white scenes, when the film was transferred to video it picked up all the sprocket hole noises.

6. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

ONE FOR THE BOOK, thanks! I could not remember that alternate title...

7. Dick

Dick Producer

Rick
    For years, ever since the Archive series came into being, I have begged Warner Bros for one title, and one title only... SINBAD THE SAILOR. This 1947 R.K.O. release starring Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Maureen O'Hara and Anthony Quinn was produced in blazing Technicolor and was run 16 times in one week on New York's WOR-TV program Million Dollar Movie in the 60's. I might have watched it ten times that week, in black and white, of course. Finally, many years later I bought the poor-quality VHS tape (was there any other kind?). When laser disc emerged, I bought the Image/Turner edition but found it untenable, with crumby color and a dearth of detail. A DVD I later found in some foreign country turned out to be no better.
    WHY IS THIS SUPERB ADVENTURE NOT AVAILABLE FROM THE ARCHIVE YET? This was a major release for RKO, one of a handful of Technicolor productions from that studio, and it did very well with the public. It is essentially m.i.a. on video in any format now and has been for about ten years.
    These semi-annual pleas to Warner Bros. for a release of this title have grown discouraging. I do not expect or even hope for a Blu-ray, just a decent copy, finally, on DVD-R.

8. RBailey

RBailey Stunt Coordinator

John Hall
    Just noticed on the Movies Unlimited site that the Wheeler and Woolsey set has been "delayed by the manufacturer" with a new release date of 2/26/2013.

9. borisfw

borisfw Supporting Actor

Frank
    Just noticed WB shop has an Archive sale 5 for $50 . It's a one day only Columbus day sale . Last few weeks of releases don't seem to be included.

10. PODER

PODER Second Unit

PETER JABLONSKI
    Dick ... have you tried asking this question on the Warner Archive Facebook page? They're very good about answering questions there, although you
    might have to wait a few days for a reply. They generally seem to answer all the previous week's questions on Saturday or Sunday. SINBAD THE SAILOR
    sounds like a delight. I'll look forward to hearing what they have to say ...

11. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Chances are that it may be in rough shape and need more work before it can be safely remastered. It's an issue with many WAC candidate films that are currently unreleased, especially high-profile titles that would have normally been released sooner.

12. Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust Second Unit

Darn, I just want it for Bert and Dorothy Lee's titillating version of "I love You So Much." Much more risque than the version on "Three Little Words."

13. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Also missing Silly Billies (1936) which was previously available on Laserdisc. This was their final film appearance with Dorothy Lee. I have asked on their facebook page if there is an issue with Cockeyed Cavaliers and Sillie Billies.

14. Brent S

Brent S Second Unit

Brent Seguine
    To which they replied a couple hours ago...
    "The next set will still leave four yet-to-be released, all four of which have technical issues that are not insurmountable and will lead to an eventual release later on. We'll also be releasing their two solo outings as well."

15. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

So I would have to guess that the 4 films would be:
    Dixiana
    The Cuckoos
    Cockeyed Cavaliers
    Silly Billies

16. Guest

Plus "Too Many Cooks" (1931), with Bert and Dorothy Lee, "Everything's Rosie" (1931). Robert Woolsey's only solo film, and then there's "The Cowboy Quarterback" (1939), Bert's first film after Woolsey's death.

17. kingfish

kingfish Screenwriter

i wonder what warner will release for december. hopefully a few war movies.

18. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Yes, because nothing says Christmas like war :)

19. borisfw

borisfw Supporting Actor

Frank
    The studios always release war movies to celebrate one of the most horrific events to happen to this country . Pearl Harbor . Go figure . I'm just happy it gives them a reason to release some good vintage war movies . :)

20. Brent S

Brent S Second Unit

Brent Seguine