What's new

Warner Archive Titles to look forward to in October/November (1 Viewer)

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
FrankXS said:
According to the artwork the Wheeler and Woolsey package contains the following titles:
Half Shot at Sunrise
Hook, Line and Sinker
Cracked Nuts
Caught Plastered
Hold 'Em Jail
Hips, Hips, Hooray
The Nitwits
Mummy's Boys
High Flyers
Does this now complete all the RKO Wheeler and Woolsey films (including the previously released Archive titles)?

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
John Morgan said:
Does this now complete all the RKO Wheeler and Woolsey films (including the previously released Archive titles)?
Nope. Still missing several others including: Cockeyed Cavaliers, The Cuckoos (which has extant Technicolor scenes), and etc.
Dixiana, which is not in the WB Archive, is available on a very good Roan release which includes the wonderful Technicolor finale. Also would be nice to see a more complete version of Rio Rita.

I can understand why “The Cuckoos” was not included the existing print has some issues with the sound in all the black and white scenes, when the film was transferred to video it picked up all the sprocket hole noises.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
ONE FOR THE BOOK, thanks! I could not remember that alternate title...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
For years, ever since the Archive series came into being, I have begged Warner Bros for one title, and one title only... SINBAD THE SAILOR. This 1947 R.K.O. release starring Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Maureen O'Hara and Anthony Quinn was produced in blazing Technicolor and was run 16 times in one week on New York's WOR-TV program Million Dollar Movie in the 60's. I might have watched it ten times that week, in black and white, of course. Finally, many years later I bought the poor-quality VHS tape (was there any other kind?). When laser disc emerged, I bought the Image/Turner edition but found it untenable, with crumby color and a dearth of detail. A DVD I later found in some foreign country turned out to be no better.
WHY IS THIS SUPERB ADVENTURE NOT AVAILABLE FROM THE ARCHIVE YET? This was a major release for RKO, one of a handful of Technicolor productions from that studio, and it did very well with the public. It is essentially m.i.a. on video in any format now and has been for about ten years.
These semi-annual pleas to Warner Bros. for a release of this title have grown discouraging. I do not expect or even hope for a Blu-ray, just a decent copy, finally, on DVD-R.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Just noticed on the Movies Unlimited site that the Wheeler and Woolsey set has been "delayed by the manufacturer" with a new release date of 2/26/2013.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Just noticed WB shop has an Archive sale 5 for $50 . It's a one day only Columbus day sale . Last few weeks of releases don't seem to be included.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Dick ... have you tried asking this question on the Warner Archive Facebook page? They're very good about answering questions there, although you
might have to wait a few days for a reply. They generally seem to answer all the previous week's questions on Saturday or Sunday. SINBAD THE SAILOR
sounds like a delight. I'll look forward to hearing what they have to say ...

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Chances are that it may be in rough shape and need more work before it can be safely remastered. It's an issue with many WAC candidate films that are currently unreleased, especially high-profile titles that would have normally been released sooner.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
bill andres said:
I can understand why “The Cuckoos” was not included the existing print has some issues with the sound in all the black and white scenes, when the film was transferred to video it picked up all the sprocket hole noises.
Darn, I just want it for Bert and Dorothy Lee's titillating version of "I love You So Much." Much more risque than the version on "Three Little Words."

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
ajabrams said:
Nope. Still missing several others including: Cockeyed Cavaliers, The Cuckoos (which has extant Technicolor scenes), and etc.
Dixiana, which is not in the WB Archive, is available on a very good Roan release which includes the wonderful Technicolor finale. Also would be nice to see a more complete version of Rio Rita.
Also missing Silly Billies (1936) which was previously available on Laserdisc. This was their final film appearance with Dorothy Lee. I have asked on their facebook page if there is an issue with Cockeyed Cavaliers and Sillie Billies.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Randy Korstick said:
Also missing Silly Billies (1936) which was previously available on Laserdisc. This was their final film appearance with Dorothy Lee. I have asked on their facebook page if there is an issue with Cockeyed Cavaliers and Sillie Billies.
To which they replied a couple hours ago...
"The next set will still leave four yet-to-be released, all four of which have technical issues that are not insurmountable and will lead to an eventual release later on. We'll also be releasing their two solo outings as well."

Plus "Too Many Cooks" (1931), with Bert and Dorothy Lee, "Everything's Rosie" (1931). Robert Woolsey's only solo film, and then there's "The Cowboy Quarterback" (1939), Bert's first film after Woolsey's death.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i wonder what warner will release for december. hopefully a few war movies.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
The studios always release war movies to celebrate one of the most horrific events to happen to this country . Pearl Harbor . Go figure . I'm just happy it gives them a reason to release some good vintage war movies . :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I would really like to know whatever happened to the WHEELER & WOOLSEY, VOLUME 2 set, as only the first Volume has been released to date! Were the first volume sales that poor, or is this a missing/poor quality 35mm Film Elements Issue?

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks