• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 of 93 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,515 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted September 07 2012 - 09:15 AM

I thought that 3D discs could play back in 2D. Avatar offers a choice of both versions. Then again, maybe they are separate encodes.

#22 of 93 OFFLINE   Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted September 07 2012 - 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill 

I thought that 3D discs could play back in 2D. Avatar offers a choice of both versions. Then again, maybe they are separate encodes.

Depends on how the content provider chooses to encode the disc.  Some, mostly titles used as promotions, have been encoded to allow 2D playback.  Many of the more recent releases, from what I can tell, pretty much any title that is given separate 2D/3D releases, are restricted encodes.

Sucks about Titanic, but thanks for checking, Neil.

#23 of 93 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,515 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted September 07 2012 - 09:31 AM

The non-promotional release of Avatar will indeed have separate discs for 3D and 2D. Maybe they will crank up the bit rate on each.

#24 of 93 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,567 posts

Posted September 07 2012 - 10:34 AM

If you bought a 3D bluray player then you could play the 3D version in 2D on your 2D TV. Not an inconsequential cost but you don't need a whole 3D setup to do it. You probably need a 3rd or 4th or 5th player anyway so buy the new one with 3D capability.

#25 of 93 OFFLINE   Robert George

Robert George

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted September 07 2012 - 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey 

If you bought a 3D bluray player then you could play the 3D version in 2D on your 2D TV. Not an inconsequential cost but you don't need a whole 3D setup to do it. You probably need a 3rd or 4th or 5th player anyway so buy the new one with 3D capability.

Eh, you sure about that?  I have a Oppo BDP-93, which is 3D capable, running through a 3D compatible receiver, but to a non-3D TV and projector.

A definitive answer would be nice here.  I'm going to make a purchase decision on this, and the ability to play the 3D disc in 2D is THE deciding factor.

#26 of 93 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,567 posts

Posted September 07 2012 - 11:58 AM

Eh, you sure about that?  I have a Oppo BDP-93, which is 3D capable, running through a 3D compatible receiver, but to a non-3D TV and projector. A definitive answer would be nice here.  I'm going to make a purchase decision on this, and the ability to play the 3D disc in 2D is THE deciding factor.

Apparently I was wrong. 2D from a 3D disc is at a minimum disc dependent because I got two different "You can't do that" messages from two different 3D discs. I must have made it work in 2D using my HTPC at one point, which doesn't have this silly limitation in the player. I thought the standard was that a 3D disc in a 3D player hooked up to a 2D display just ran the left eye to it but I guess not. This release is exactly why the standard should have been set to allow 2D from a 3D disc and player. The only other possibility is that your Oppo can override the disc and output 2D anyway but my cheap Panasonic player cannot.

#27 of 93 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted September 07 2012 - 02:00 PM

I thought this had been explained fairly clearly by others.  The answer is simple.  1.78:1 is more impressive on a 16:9 screen than 2.35:1 is.

Theatrical framing and composition be damned? I agree this is not cropping, but the film loses impact to my eyes without the sweep of the width on its own. It looked more ordinary to me opened up, and this is a film I am intimately familiar with. The 1.78 version of this film is less impressive on any screen, IMHO
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#28 of 93 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts

Posted September 07 2012 - 02:03 PM

The non-promotional release of Avatar will indeed have separate discs for 3D and 2D. Maybe they will crank up the bit rate on each.

Do we know if Avatar 2D on that disc isn't just one eye of the 3D version? Perhaps that Is possible for the player to extract

#29 of 93 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,256 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 07 2012 - 02:04 PM

I believe I have read on this forum that the 3D blu-ray spec requires it be compatible with 2D. That is usually accomplished by providing a 2D only disc in the package.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#30 of 93 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts

Posted September 07 2012 - 02:23 PM

Eh, you sure about that?  I have a Oppo BDP-93, which is 3D capable, running through a 3D compatible receiver, but to a non-3D TV and projector. A definitive answer would be nice here.  I'm going to make a purchase decision on this, and the ability to play the 3D disc in 2D is THE deciding factor.

I think if the HDMI flag doesn't show ALL components, including TV as 3D it won't let you play the 3D disc. I found this out while I was trying to get my setup working properly. Even if you turn off 3D mode on a capable tv or player it disables playback. If you never plan on getting a 3D display, get the 2D/DVD set, but otherwise the 3D set will eventually be of use, but not to watch the 1.78 crop in 2D.

#31 of 93 OFFLINE   Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted September 08 2012 - 02:14 AM

Does any Reviewer ever bother to proofread their reviews before posting them? This one is just filled with typos and incorrect information; mainly just sloppy writing that could have easily been fixed. Flipped release and review dates, 17:8 aspect ratios, etc. Show pride in your work.

#32 of 93 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts

Posted September 08 2012 - 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Williams 

Does any Reviewer ever bother to proofread their reviews before posting them? This one is just filled with typos and incorrect information; mainly just sloppy writing that could have easily been fixed. Flipped release and review dates, 17:8 aspect ratios, etc. Show pride in your work.

Between full-time work, a newborn and this voluntary gig - sometimes things slip through the cracks.

At least you weren't rude.

Oh wait.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#33 of 93 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts

Posted September 08 2012 - 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Williams 

The release/review date switch has been fixed.

The '17:8' aspect ratio is how it appears in the Yahoo! interview I quoted.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#34 of 93 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,684 posts

Posted September 08 2012 - 04:35 AM

Between full-time work, a newborn and this voluntary gig - sometimes things slip through the cracks. At least you weren't rude. Oh wait.

See Neil, that's the problem, your priorities are backwards!!! :P Seriously, the majority of us appreciate all of the reviewers' hard work. I know this is the first (and most of the time only) site I look to when I need a reviewer's confirmation before a purchase. :tu: :tu:

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#35 of 93 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,999 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 08 2012 - 04:36 AM

This review is null and void to me because the release date listed was incorrect. I know Neil fixed it but it's already too late. :)

#36 of 93 OFFLINE   Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted September 08 2012 - 05:36 AM

Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
www.hometheater.com

#37 of 93 OFFLINE   ijthompson

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator

• 147 posts

Posted September 08 2012 - 06:09 AM

Amazon Canada is listing this one as being a 3 disc set. Is that an error? As far as I was aware, the only 3D blu release of this film is the four disc version (regular & gift box configurations). Can anybody verify? I'd hate to order the wrong thing!

#38 of 93 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted September 08 2012 - 06:45 AM

Theatrical framing and composition be damned?

Technically the 16:9 ratio is the theatrical framing for the 3D version.... :D

#39 of 93 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts

Posted September 08 2012 - 09:11 AM

Technically the 16:9 ratio is the theatrical framing for the 3D version.... :D

Only in IMAX venues. RealD 3D and other 3D engagements were 2.35:1

#40 of 93 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL