Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What Abbott & Costello Universal films would you like to see next on Blu-ray?

Universal

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 690 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 30 2012 - 09:49 AM

If BUCK PRIVATES and ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN do really well on Blu-ray, I would hope Universal would prepare some of their other classics for Blu-ray. next year. My expectations tell my that MEET FRANKENSTEIN will outsell BUCK PRIVATES by a fairly wide margin, but I also hope that Universal won’t just release Blu’s of just their other “MEET” films as I think they are weaker than many of their earlier films. So, what films would you pick? Here are several (in no particular order) I would vote for: BUCK PRIVATES COME HOME WHO DONE IT? HOLD THAT GHOST THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES KEEP ‘EM FLYING IN SOCIETY LITTLE GIANT

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,648 posts

Posted August 30 2012 - 10:06 AM

Ride 'em Cowboy Pardon My Sarong Hit the Ice Meet the Mummy (1.85 only)

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted August 30 2012 - 10:14 AM

MEET THE MUMMY (1955) might be fun on Blu-ray, but the films that interest me are MEET THE KILLER BORIS KARLOFF (1949) and MEET DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE (1953).

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,648 posts

Posted August 30 2012 - 10:27 AM

Good for Karloff, not so good for Bud and Lou.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Bubbleweb_edited-1_zpsc986b444.jpg

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,804 posts

Posted August 30 2012 - 11:53 AM

Let's be honest, though, Universal has only three images of Bud & Lou: Buck Privates (the first one, with the Andrews Sisters), Naughty Nineties (the "Who's On First?" Movie), and the Monsters. The others don't even EXIST, unless they could be set-bundled. Me, I'd toss my $7.50 Susquehanna Hat in for "In Society"*, for Lou's Revenge in "Time of Their Lives" or for the burlesque-archive Nuthouse sketch and cute lil' teenaged Ella Fitzgerald in "Ride 'Em Cowboy", but if it doesn't have "Meet" in the title--even if was Keystone Kops--it's not in our foreseeable lifetime. :( (* - They also did the Susquehanna Hat sketch for the TV show, and unfortunately, the movie missed one of my favorite lines-- Bud was the expert in deadpanning lines that slipped past Lou, and when Bud starts complaining about the shoddy workmanship of Susquehanna straw-hats in the TV version of the sketch, "And just look at this cheap third-rate imitation straw; here, taste it yourself!", Lou starts to take a taste, and "...Wait a minute!!" :laugh: )

#6 of 34 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted August 30 2012 - 01:24 PM

Maybe MGM will release their A&C films on HD ? Id like to see A&C meet the Killer Boris Karloff myself

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   mrz7

mrz7

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted August 30 2012 - 01:44 PM

Definitely I would love to see "HOLD THAT GHOST", to pair along with "A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN" (which is being released in September). Always thought these two were great movies to watch during the Halloween season. Also, I would like to see "IN THE NAVY" to pair along with "BUCK PRIVATES" (which is already released)....two reasons, they are both hilarious and musical.....they feature the Andrew Sisters (btw....the Andrew Sisters are also in "HOLD THAT GHOST"). 2 other movies I would like to see on Blu-Ray are "WHO DONE IT?" and "HIT THE ICE", which were pretty good flicks!! :cool:

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

Stunt Coordinator

• 159 posts

Posted August 30 2012 - 06:18 PM

"Hit the Ice" is one of my favorites!

#9 of 34 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted August 31 2012 - 12:14 AM

My favorites (apart from Meet Frankenstein) have always been Hold That Ghost and The Time of Their Lives. I also really like Meet the Invisible Man and Meet the Mummy.

• Mark Walker likes this

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 935 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted January 19 2013 - 05:36 AM

I would like to see an 'Abbott & Costello meet the Monsters' Blu-ray set comprising Frankenstein, Invisible Man, Killer, Mummy, and Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (my favourite).

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,011 posts

Posted January 19 2013 - 07:48 AM

Hold That Ghost. And if Universal really did a monster set, it ought to include Hold that Ghost.

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,257 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted January 19 2013 - 07:49 AM

This is just making me want to take out my A&C "chest" and spend the next two days watching all of them.

• Mark Walker and Will Krupp like this

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,839 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 19 2013 - 09:54 AM

Vote for HOLD THAT GHOST also. First A & C film I saw. It was on the afternoon matinee on WLBT channel 3 Jackson, MS. They ended up showing most their films that summer and I had my first introduction to them.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 19 2013 - 02:16 PM

My first one was also seen on a Saturday or Sunday TV matinee showing, and it was one of their more atypical films The Time of Their Lives. Hold That Ghost and A&C Meet the Mummy also became favorites during that period. Also liked Keem 'Em Flying.

• Mark Walker likes this

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted January 19 2013 - 02:43 PM

HOLD THAT GHOST THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   Albert_M

Albert_M

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:28 AM

I would love Hold that Ghost.

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 935 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted January 22 2013 - 03:59 AM

How about another themed Blu-ray set - Abbott & Costello in the Services - comprising Buck Privates, Buck Privates Come Home, In the Navy, Keep 'em Flying etc. or Abbott & Costello Abroad - comprising Africa Screams, Mexican Hayride, Lost in Alaska, Foreign Legion, Lost in a Harem etc.

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,804 posts

Posted January 22 2013 - 07:02 AM

How about another themed Blu-ray set - Abbott & Costello in the Services - comprising Buck Privates, Buck Privates Come Home, In the Navy, Keep 'em Flying etc. or Abbott & Costello Abroad - comprising Africa Screams, Mexican Hayride, Lost in Alaska, Foreign Legion, Lost in a Harem etc.

That's the problem--Most of the "lost" A&C films, like "Dance With Me, Henry" and "The Noose Hangs High", were done for MGM, not Universal, and the ones produced independently, like Africa Screams, Harem and Jack & the Beanstalk, are the ones that fell into Public Domain. (And that's not counting Lou's solo "The 30 Foot Bride of Candy Rock", way over at Sony Archive.) The MGM ones didn't come out in the Universal DVD boxes, and that's what keeps any set from being "complete".

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 859 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted January 22 2013 - 02:10 PM

I'd love to have "A&B Meet Frankenstein" for my collection, but I'm sure as hell not paying $25 for it! When it comes down to $15, I'll be all over it...and that should have been the original price to begin with!
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#20 of 34 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,839 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 23 2013 - 03:57 AM

Double feature of HOLD THAT GHOST and WHO DONE IT?
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Universal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users