What's new

What Abbott & Costello Universal films would you like to see next on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I thought it was about time Abbott & Costello got a mention. Anyone know if there is news of more blu-ray releases planned for the boys. I would like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde next. Thank you.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
For me, it's Buck Privates, In The Navy, Hold That Ghost, Meet The Invisible Man, and my absolute favorite of theirs, The Time Of Their Lives.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
For me, the titles most wanted are:

HOLD THAT GHOST
WHO DONE IT?
KEEP 'EM FLYING
THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES
MEET THE KILLER
MEET INVISIBLE MAN
BUCK PRIVATES COME HOME
IN SOCIETY
IN THE NAVY
LITTLE GIANT

All of them, with the exception of IN THE NAVY, look great on the DVDs. IN THE NAVY's fine grain must be in poor condition. Hopefully the original negative is still in good shape. I guess I wouldn't mind all the Universal's on Blu ray. I grew up with these films, and like the horror films, they mean a lot to me.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I think they released their best...meet Frankenstein. I'm happy that they went BD with that one and I can be content with the rest in SD.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
If anything is done, the smart thing to do would be to put them out as double feature discs, given the short running times and blu's storage capacity. The perceived value would probably help sales.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If any of these are to emerge on Blu-ray (very iffy), I am almost certain they will come from Europe.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
All their unreleased Universal films from 1941-1945 films would get my vote as that is when they were fresh and at their funniest: full of energy and improvs. Other than Meet Frankenstein I've always found the rest of the "meet series" to be overrated. They were done when the boys were older and losing interest in their films. Their lack of energy in their 1950's films is very apparent. They displayed much more energy in their 1950's TV show and TV appearances.

In the Navy
Hold That Ghost
Keep em Flying
Ride em Cowboy
Pardon My Sarong
Who Done it
It Ain't Hay
Hit the Ice
In Society
Here come the Coeds
The Naughty Nineties

I would also like the 3 bigger budgeted MGM films from this period which were also very good:
Rio Rita
Lost in a Harem
In Hollywood

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I'll take the Marx Brothers' Duck Soup, Horse Feathers and Monkey Business instead of any more A&C. And W.C. Fields' It's A Gift, Never Give A Sucker An Even Break and the Bank Dick.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
As I sit here eating microwave Mac & Cheese watching Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein I wonder how long it will be until I see HOLD THAT GHOST on BLU?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The last time I looked at the DVD (I have the original double-sided releases in the four volume series), seems like I recall some major clean-up and damage control needed. I sure would like to have it, though.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Now that I think about it some more, my wish is for "Meet Capt. Kidd, Jack and the Beanstalk and Africa Screams (that Bob so lovingly brought back to life on LD and everyone else stole...those bastards!).

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
John Maher_289910 said:
Don't care for The Marx Brothers, but I'll take W. C. Fields, for sure!
If I was head of Universal's video division, I would put out (initially) a group for Paramount and a group for Universal. 2 titles per disc and 2 discs per set.

PARAMOUNT:

It's a Gift

The Man on the Flying Trapeze

You're Telling Me

The Old-Fashioned Way

UNIVERSAL:

My Little Chickadee

You Can't Cheat an Honest Man

The Bank Dick

Never Give a Sucker an Even Break

That pretty much takes care of Universal except guest appearances.

There are still some very good Paramount's left:

Poppy

Six of a Kind

Tillie and Gus

Mississippi

etc., but the above 4 are my remaining favorites.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In my opinion, last year Universal missed the boat in merely reissuing a compact packaged version of the prior 2008 "Abbott & Costello: The Complete Universal Pictures Collection" to DVD, rather than put their HD Transfers for all 28 Features on Blu-ray, in one fell swoop!

Mind you, I was able to score a really good deal on the compact DVD set ($62 CDN, after taxes!) last December, but that's beside the point!

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks