Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Lieutenant - Roddenberry's pre-Star Trek series is out

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 of 62 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,648 posts

Posted August 22 2012 - 07:49 AM

Stop it you guys I was on the fence on this one leaning to the no purchase side now you guys are pulling me to the other side :D By the way I am finding The Gallant Men also to be much better than expected for another forgotten show. Its different enough from Combat to exist on its own and almost as good. It may have been as good if given a couple more seasons to develop the characters further as Combat did.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#22 of 62 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 961 posts

Posted August 22 2012 - 08:28 AM

I suspect the reason the series releases are pressed -- at least at first -- is that it's less expensive to press for the expected demand (maybe a hair under to make sure all are sold) than burning them all, particularly the staff time involved and tieing up a burner or burners to crank them all out. It's great for us early buyers!

#23 of 62 OFFLINE   GMBurns

GMBurns

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts
  • LocationPlainville, CT

Posted August 22 2012 - 10:34 AM

Stop it you guys I was on the fence on this one leaning to the no purchase side now you guys are pulling me to the other side :D
After reading all the comments I have also been persuaded. It sounds like too good of a show to pass on. Plus, as a Star Trek fan it will be fun to see those actors in their pre-Trek days.

#24 of 62 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,671 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 22 2012 - 04:11 PM

My Harry-O discs looked pressed but have all the symptoms of burned discs. I just got my Lieutenant Complete Series. It appears pressed as well but some discs do not play on my PC.

#25 of 62 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted August 22 2012 - 05:41 PM

That is yet still another possibility that they are burned but just happen to look like pressed disks. We've always gone off the idea of what a burned disk traditionally looks like. Also, the fact that we can't ID their disks has always made it difficult to know what they are using. They've never given any indication they weren't burned. The only thing left is behavior (i.e., do they act like burned disks). Alan seems to feel they do.

#26 of 62 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,671 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 22 2012 - 10:33 PM

When I talked to someone at Warner Archives about it, person to person, they said the discs in Harry-O were burned. Given that, and the behavior of my Lieutenant set, I'm leaning toward them being burned, as well. Plus, if a limited run was pressed, wouldn't Warner Archives be pushing it as a selling point to buy your set ASAP?

#27 of 62 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,610 posts

Posted August 23 2012 - 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabimero /t/323008/the-lieutenant-roddenberrys-pre-star-trek-series-is-out#post_3965544 When I talked to someone at Warner Archives about it, person to person, they said the discs in Harry-O were burned. Given that, and the behavior of my Lieutenant set, I'm leaning toward them being burned, as well. Plus, if a limited run was pressed, wouldn't Warner Archives be pushing it as a selling point to buy your set ASAP?
  I'm of two minds on that.  On the one hand, I agree that it might be a neat selling point for them to entice a lot of early orders.  On the other, I doubt the Archive program wants to accentuate the entire pressed vs burned media issue.  They'd probably just as soon people forget all about it and stop discussing the issue.  Of course this is total conjecture on my part either way.  It seems logical to me that if a disc isn't playing in a PC drive it's almost assuredly a burned DVD +/- R disc as opposed to an actual pressed DVD.      Gary "will be getting 'The Lieutenant' very soon since these reviews are all so positive" O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#28 of 62 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted August 23 2012 - 11:38 AM

Already ordered my two sets of The Lieutenant and The Gallant Men. :D
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#29 of 62 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,671 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 23 2012 - 02:46 PM

I agree Gary and I am left to wonder where the information that the discs were pressed came from in the first place. It is clear from the disclaimer on the Harry-O box that the discs were not pressed. I haven't checked The Lieutenant box but I assume the disclaimer is there, as well.. And yes, The Lieutenant is a wonderful show, at least from what I have seen in the early episodes. Bill Bixby plays the same kind of character in the pilot that he played in THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, which I found interesting. Maybe he was typecast as that kind of character in the early 1960s. I wonder if there are other series Bixby played in around that time with the same type of "con artist" character.

#30 of 62 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted August 23 2012 - 03:02 PM

I have a couple regular type dvds that do not play on my pc, the U Hi-De-Hi discs come to mind. Certain discs in some collections also, I wanna say one of the Dues of Hazzard.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#31 of 62 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,671 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 23 2012 - 03:51 PM

It's pretty clear to me the discs are not pressed. They were sold as DVD-Rs, the boxes basically say as much, and mine act like burned discs, to say nothing of a Warner Archive agent saying they are burned. I'm trying to understand why there is any doubt they are burned.

#32 of 62 OFFLINE   hypnohighball

hypnohighball

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts
  • LocationBattle Ground, Washington

Posted August 23 2012 - 07:14 PM

Because they look like real pressed dvd's, and my computer drive plays them, and not any of the other WA dvd-r's I own?

#33 of 62 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,334 posts

Posted August 23 2012 - 07:27 PM

Believe it or not, my Computer (Which has a DVD Burner) has no problem playing Warner Brothers DVD-Rs, even though the package says they won't play on Computers! :laugh:

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 39,872 :biggrin: ( 839 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,429   :B)  Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#34 of 62 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,671 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 24 2012 - 03:17 AM

This show is first rate. I'm really glad I got these two sets, even if it cost me a little extra.

#35 of 62 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,648 posts

Posted August 24 2012 - 09:44 AM

I agree Gary and I am left to wonder where the information that the discs were pressed came from in the first place. It is clear from the disclaimer on the Harry-O box that the discs were not pressed. I haven't checked The Lieutenant box but I assume the disclaimer is there, as well.. And yes, The Lieutenant is a wonderful show, at least from what I have seen in the early episodes. Bill Bixby plays the same kind of character in the pilot that he played in THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, which I found interesting. Maybe he was typecast as that kind of character in the early 1960s. I wonder if there are other series Bixby played in around that time with the same type of "con artist" character.
The information came from Warner Archive on their Facebook page where they confirmed it and from the President of the WA program who annouced certain sets would be released as limited run pressed discs sets and Harry O was confirmed as one of these titles. The HB title Charlie Chan and The amazing Chan clan is also pressed. The Gallant Men is not pressed I don't have The Lieutenant yet so can't comment on that. Why they don't confirm on indivuidual titles being pressed on their website is unknown and the MOD packaging info is a default design they use and since it is limited they probably didn't want to do another design. You have to take what you hear from the phone customer service girls with a grain of salt. They are usually very nice and pleasant to talk to but don't always know all the policies and title information even though they may volunteer info that they think is correct.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#36 of 62 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 2,053 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted August 24 2012 - 10:17 AM

Believe it or not, my Computer (Which has a DVD Burner) has no problem playing Warner Brothers DVD-Rs, even though the package says they won't play on Computers! :laugh:
My computer (a Mac) has no problem playing the WB discs either. I'm sure the compatibility thing is just a generic disclaimer to cover themselves. I wouldn't take it not playing in a computer as being a sign of a "burnt" disc. There could be plenty of things going on to keep it from playing in a computer (perhaps firmware, etc.). Alan: does the disc look like a burnt one on the recording side (i.e. is is "purple" or blu-ish rather than normal metallic color of normal pressed media)? If it doesn't have that blue-ish dye color, I'd be more likely to think it's pressed and there's just a compatibility issue with your drive.

#37 of 62 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,648 posts

Posted August 24 2012 - 11:21 AM

Harry O and Amazing Chan are the metallic pressed disc color. I haven't seen The Lietenant yet but would guess its the same.

#38 of 62 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,671 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted August 24 2012 - 12:32 PM

Randy, thanks for the info. That's exactly what I wanted to know. And yes about THE LIEUTENANT. My conflict was yes, the discs looked pressed, but everything, for me, pointed to the contrary, including the way the discs behave. I have returned the HARRY-O and have my fingers crossed that I get a pressed disc back. And backup copies I made of THE LIEUTENANT play fine in my PC.

#39 of 62 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 818 posts

Posted August 24 2012 - 02:00 PM

I was another member who was persuaded to order this series based on the positive remarks - and the hope of getting pressed discs. In addition to Randy's helpful "evidence", there was also a fair amount of "evidence" gathered by those of us who ordered the two recent "Forbidden Hollywood" multi-disc collections - see the thread from the DVD board, around pages 114 & 115. http://www.hometheat...-the-films/3420

#40 of 62 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,806 posts

Posted August 24 2012 - 02:22 PM

Actually, the packaging disclaimer says "This disc is expected to play back in DVD video "play only" devices, and may not play back in other DVD devices, including recorders and PC drives." It's just a disclaimer since there is a wide variety of PC hardware out there and some are more finicky than others. The MGM and Fox MODs have the exact same disclaimer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users