What's new

The Lieutenant - Roddenberry's pre-Star Trek series is out (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Stop it you guys I was on the fence on this one leaning to the no purchase side now you guys are pulling me to the other side :D
By the way I am finding The Gallant Men also to be much better than expected for another forgotten show. Its different enough from Combat to exist on its own and almost as good. It may have been as good if given a couple more seasons to develop the characters further as Combat did.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I suspect the reason the series releases are pressed -- at least at first -- is that it's less expensive to press for the expected demand (maybe a hair under to make sure all are sold) than burning them all, particularly the staff time involved and tieing up a burner or burners to crank them all out. It's great for us early buyers!

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Randy Korstick said:
Stop it you guys I was on the fence on this one leaning to the no purchase side now you guys are pulling me to the other side :D
After reading all the comments I have also been persuaded. It sounds like too good of a show to pass on. Plus, as a Star Trek fan it will be fun to see those actors in their pre-Trek days.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My Harry-O discs looked pressed but have all the symptoms of burned discs.
I just got my Lieutenant Complete Series. It appears pressed as well but some discs do not play on my PC.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
That is yet still another possibility that they are burned but just happen to look like pressed disks. We've always gone off the idea of what a burned disk traditionally looks like. Also, the fact that we can't ID their disks has always made it difficult to know what they are using. They've never given any indication they weren't burned. The only thing left is behavior (i.e., do they act like burned disks). Alan seems to feel they do.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
When I talked to someone at Warner Archives about it, person to person, they said the discs in Harry-O were burned. Given that, and the behavior of my Lieutenant set, I'm leaning toward them being burned, as well. Plus, if a limited run was pressed, wouldn't Warner Archives be pushing it as a selling point to buy your set ASAP?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carabimero /t/323008/the-lieutenant-roddenberrys-pre-star-trek-series-is-out#post_3965544
When I talked to someone at Warner Archives about it, person to person, they said the discs in Harry-O were burned. Given that, and the behavior of my Lieutenant set, I'm leaning toward them being burned, as well. Plus, if a limited run was pressed, wouldn't Warner Archives be pushing it as a selling point to buy your set ASAP?

I'm of two minds on that. On the one hand, I agree that it might be a neat selling point for them to entice a lot of early orders. On the other, I doubt the Archive program wants to accentuate the entire pressed vs burned media issue. They'd probably just as soon people forget all about it and stop discussing the issue. Of course this is total conjecture on my part either way. It seems logical to me that if a disc isn't playing in a PC drive it's almost assuredly a burned DVD +/- R disc as opposed to an actual pressed DVD.

Gary "will be getting 'The Lieutenant' very soon since these reviews are all so positive" O.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I agree Gary and I am left to wonder where the information that the discs were pressed came from in the first place. It is clear from the disclaimer on the Harry-O box that the discs were not pressed. I haven't checked The Lieutenant box but I assume the disclaimer is there, as well..
And yes, The Lieutenant is a wonderful show, at least from what I have seen in the early episodes. Bill Bixby plays the same kind of character in the pilot that he played in THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, which I found interesting. Maybe he was typecast as that kind of character in the early 1960s. I wonder if there are other series Bixby played in around that time with the same type of "con artist" character.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I have a couple regular type dvds that do not play on my pc, the U Hi-De-Hi discs come to mind. Certain discs in some collections also, I wanna say one of the Dues of Hazzard.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's pretty clear to me the discs are not pressed. They were sold as DVD-Rs, the boxes basically say as much, and mine act like burned discs, to say nothing of a Warner Archive agent saying they are burned. I'm trying to understand why there is any doubt they are burned.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Believe it or not, my Computer (Which has a DVD Burner) has no problem playing Warner Brothers DVD-Rs, even though the package says they won't play on Computers! :laugh:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Carabimero said:
I agree Gary and I am left to wonder where the information that the discs were pressed came from in the first place. It is clear from the disclaimer on the Harry-O box that the discs were not pressed. I haven't checked The Lieutenant box but I assume the disclaimer is there, as well..
And yes, The Lieutenant is a wonderful show, at least from what I have seen in the early episodes. Bill Bixby plays the same kind of character in the pilot that he played in THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, which I found interesting. Maybe he was typecast as that kind of character in the early 1960s. I wonder if there are other series Bixby played in around that time with the same type of "con artist" character.
The information came from Warner Archive on their Facebook page where they confirmed it and from the President of the WA program who annouced certain sets would be released as limited run pressed discs sets and Harry O was confirmed as one of these titles. The HB title Charlie Chan and The amazing Chan clan is also pressed. The Gallant Men is not pressed I don't have The Lieutenant yet so can't comment on that. Why they don't confirm on indivuidual titles being pressed on their website is unknown and the MOD packaging info is a default design they use and since it is limited they probably didn't want to do another design.
You have to take what you hear from the phone customer service girls with a grain of salt. They are usually very nice and pleasant to talk to but don't always know all the policies and title information even though they may volunteer info that they think is correct.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Regulus said:
Believe it or not, my Computer (Which has a DVD Burner) has no problem playing Warner Brothers DVD-Rs, even though the package says they won't play on Computers! :laugh:
My computer (a Mac) has no problem playing the WB discs either. I'm sure the compatibility thing is just a generic disclaimer to cover themselves. I wouldn't take it not playing in a computer as being a sign of a "burnt" disc. There could be plenty of things going on to keep it from playing in a computer (perhaps firmware, etc.).
Alan: does the disc look like a burnt one on the recording side (i.e. is is "purple" or blu-ish rather than normal metallic color of normal pressed media)? If it doesn't have that blue-ish dye color, I'd be more likely to think it's pressed and there's just a compatibility issue with your drive.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Harry O and Amazing Chan are the metallic pressed disc color. I haven't seen The Lietenant yet but would guess its the same.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Randy, thanks for the info. That's exactly what I wanted to know. And yes about THE LIEUTENANT.
My conflict was yes, the discs looked pressed, but everything, for me, pointed to the contrary, including the way the discs behave. I have returned the HARRY-O and have my fingers crossed that I get a pressed disc back. And backup copies I made of THE LIEUTENANT play fine in my PC.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I was another member who was persuaded to order this series based on the positive remarks - and the hope of getting pressed discs.
In addition to Randy's helpful "evidence", there was also a fair amount of "evidence" gathered by those of us who ordered the two recent "Forbidden Hollywood" multi-disc collections - see the thread from the DVD board, around pages 114 & 115.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/293104/warner-archive-discussion-thread-the-announcements-the-films/3420

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Regulus said:
Actually, the packaging disclaimer says "This disc is expected to play back in DVD video "play only" devices, and may not play back in other DVD devices, including recorders and PC drives." It's just a disclaimer since there is a wide variety of PC hardware out there and some are more finicky than others. The MGM and Fox MODs have the exact same disclaimer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks